Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be so afraid of falling on ice! You hear about people falling right on their new knee and ruining it! I can't go through this again! All of you be so careful! Can you wear snow-tire tread shoes/boots? Chains on your boots? Cleats?
 
Marianne, I think all of us BoneSmarties fear that dreaded fall! I feared falling before I had my knees replaced because I knew getting up was going to take a crane, dang bad knees! However, I do need to get myself down on that floor and find a way to get myself up so I don't panic if it happens. :yikes:

They do have some trac thingies that you can put on your shoes when walking on snow, however you need to take them off before you walk on any other surface so they seem to be more trouble than there worth.
 
I'm with you on that Jacky. We'd better practice fall recovery! It's bad enough to go down...but what if we can't get back up!?
 
Jacky, I was so scared of falling, until I had my first fall, at about 6 months post-op. I tripped going up the steps to the dentist's surgery (I knew I hated going to the dentist!). I landed on my hands and knees, with most of my weight hitting my new knee.

Of course, I grazed the knee and it was bruised. But, you know what? All the damage was external. That new knee joint felt firm and reliable. In a strange way, the fall was a good thing, because it gave me confidence in my TKR.

I fell again last week, inside the house. I had picked up a box of wine that the courier delivered (wine is bad for you! :loll: ) and I got wrong-footed as I was turning. Once again, no damage to the new knee, just a superficial graze.

Although I'm not going to make a habit of falling - it does shake you up - I'm not as scared of falling as I used to be.

Celle
 
Celle, No, no, no wine is NOT bad for you!:yikes: Please say it aint so! On the serious note I am so glad you didn't get hurt really bad and it was only external damage.:console2:
If I could though I would like to eliminate that trial and error of falling part!:bicycle2:
 
karmigirl How did the EPI go? I hope it went well and it does the trick for you!
Hi Jacky,
EPI went well once he found the right spot for the needle to go in, there for awhile I felt like a pin cushion. Feeling really good after, this Thursday go back for #2, it always takes 2 in the thoracic for some unknown reason to really do the job. Then we finally scheduled the SI injection for Monday the 26. Then I am done for another 6 mos. I thought I was having a problem with the neck one, on Wednesday night we went out to dinner and walking to the car all of a sudden my right side of my neck tightened up and I couldn't move it from side to side at all. Told dr on thursday he gave me some muscle relaxers to take and all was well by Friday. Shoo really scared me. That's the latest report.
 
Ladies,
Haven't you read Sonja's instructuons on falling yet. Or are you trying to practice them on your own. I haven't fallen yet on my knee(17mos old now) but last Christmas when I was decorating to stop my self from falling off a 3 step step stool I kind of did a little twist and torque. Don't try that either boy did that hurt for weeks, but no damage done to the knee. I beginning to think these knees are like cockroaches, they probably can live thru a nuclear war.

Jacky,
How is the neck doing?? How is the Pt for it going?? I don't even ask about the knees since they seem to be doing just fine (I hope).
 
Rose, I'm glad to hear your first one went well even though you felt like a pin cushion (not good). Hopefully Thursday's goes better (no pin cushion effect)! And, your SI injection will be done before Christmas, so you'll be able to enjoy you holiday. :thumb:

I don't know about anyone else, but I would rather not join Sonja's fall down camp it just doesn't sound like fun. I seriously don't want the "twist and torque" thingy either! Call me a party pooper, but no thank you! I always did learn well through other people's experiences! :)

PT for my neck is going pretty good. :thumb: I went 3 times this week and he was able to loosen that muscle on the right side of my neck, which muscle relaxers never touched for me, and next week he said I'll start to exercise it. I also got my BP meds changed last Monday and that seems to be helping a lot, because I've been able to do a lot more physical stuff without feeling whipped and the neck has not stopped me from doing the physical things like in the past. So I'm hoping this trend continues, because I'm starting to feel human again! :thumb:

Stay well my friend and let me know how your other shot go! :friends:
 
Jacky,
I've been meaning to ask when you will be leaving for your trip to Florida?? Will that mess with your PT schedule. You ladies are talking about PT for the neck, my old neck PT guy told me that it was useless for me because of the fusions there is very few exercises I am akiud to do, they can't even massage my neck, and this was a really good PT guy. So my only recourse is the shots and muscle relaxers.​
 
Rose, I will be doing 3 days next week and Norm and I will be leaving on Friday the 16th, so I will miss the whole week of thanksgiving and hopefully get 3 sessions in on the following week. I could imagine PT it would not work for you because of the fusions and I'm so glad that the shots and muscle relaxers work for you otherwise it would be total misery, and that is not a good place to be.
 
What I worry about Dave and his neck is that he has been wearing that soft collar for about 9 weeks or so, and he has lost muscle. You have to know farmers, they have these short bulky necks. I use to buy his size 17 1/2 inch neck shirts. When he was at the doctor last week when she was talking to him about a sleep study, she wanted to know what size his neck was and I was going to say what size shirt he was and she gets out a tape measure and it is down to 15 now. So he has lost lots of muscle in his neck and I worry that he will be sore when it finally comes off.
 
Deb I think PT will get that muscle back slowly and painlessly. I hope he can get started before you guys go to AZ.
I was going to ask you about the sleep study, is he going to have it done? I hope so, if for nothing else, peace of mind.
 
Jacky, we are still waiting as the place in town didn't take our insurance, so the order went to a place in Madison and they take several days and send him a letter that he had to answer and send back. I called them the other day and they said they received it and have to review it. I asked how long they are booking out and she said Jan. I said **** and told her that we have a $10,000 deductible which we met this year and then told her about his blood pressure problems and the concerns it might be his snoring that is causing it. So she said she would try and expedite it. Sure Everything is always hurry up and wait.
 
Deb, I hope they do expedite it. You said all the right things, so hopefully it will speed things up. I know what you mean about, hurry up and wait. Frustrating!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom