Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh, I was just assuming PT would be 3-4 weeks, but I'm all for more healing time. I don't fear working with my PT because I worked with her before surgery and she has a gentle approach. But it makes sense to wait until more swelling is down. I don't have much visible swelling, but they are tight, so I assume thats from swelling in the joint. I don't have any swelling in my legs.
 
I can't even imagine how you are doing so well having both done at the same time. Had right knee done on June 5. I am now starting to feel human again. It is now really starting to bend. I have had to use a strap to lift foot or drop from bed to floor. It is starting to get stronger each day. With both knees you must have some great upper body strength. Sounds like you are doing great. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
 
Vicki, i was strong before surgery and so am strong now, but more lower body strength. I did need the leg lifter for a while and was glad to have it, but a few days ago I just didn't need it, and can now pick up and throw my legs around where ever I want them, with no discomfort. Change happens very fast! When I was thinking about doing 2 vs 1 knee, I thought that it could be an advantage that I would not be allowing the surgical knee to not do 50% of the work because there was a good knee to use as a crutch, so to speak. This way, they are each pulling their weight, and maybe that will even encourage recuperation. I haven't seen your recovery thread, I'll look for it..
 
Hi Jacky trying to catch up on your thread. My granddaughters are here and one of them are always on the computer at a convient time for me. I wrote a long reply lost it story of my computer life. I try to catch up on the tablet, not an ipad but a cheaper version. I try but with the drugs and the plain old worn out feeling I usually fall asleep with tablet in hand. Now what is going on with Minnie? Why is she behaving so badly???? I still have not named mine. So sorry that you are having trouble with leaking and with that big toe. I am glad to hear that you are home, I have been home since Thursday June 14th could not wait. Wanted to escape PT, although they were much better after the weekend of the 9th. Come Monday when the regular crew came in, read the notes from the weekend and realize that they were pushing way too much, we got along fine. I have found that I am now more tired than I was at the hospital. Today I could hardly wake up but had to PT was coming. So your rehab social worker didn't set up home PT? If not your OS will give you a script for out patient PT when you see him. Yes It is great to sleep in your own bed, although I am at moms sleeping in one of hers just the same. I also getting waited on hand and foot for the time being may only last til the end of week!!!! mother is getting tired:sigh: OT came to evaluate yesterday, adjusted my shower bench, watched me go in and out of the walk in shower, then ask so questions then stated that I did not need OT but call if I run into a problem with showering. No I have not shower since coming home, OS put steri strips on my legs have to wait for them to fall off. Glad your home sure everything is going to work out:ok:
Kim
 
Kim, my home healthcare nurse wanted me to shower so that the steri strips would fall off. :thumb: She said that they need that shower water in order to come off. She was correct and even with a shower every day, it took forever for them to come off. :sigh: You should not try to take them off, they need to fall off to get a nice clean incision scar. Mine is looking good, so I guess she gave me good advice. :SUNsmile:
 
Vicki, I am so glad I did both, I say, let them pull their own weight! I did do my pre-op exercise for at least a month prior to surgery and I do believe that helped me a great deal post-op. :thumb: I recommend it!

Hi Kim, glad to see you back on sight. Minnie seems to be enjoying he cranky stage. She'll catch up I'm sure! I go to see my OS tomorrow so I'll know more about weepy Minnie and out patient OT.
It was great that you were able to stay with your mom, moms are great!, and got spoiled a little. However, you will be happy to be in you own place when you get there. You will be happy when you hit the showers for first time, very liberating! :yes!: Here's wishing you a speedy recovery! Life with new knees is great! :thumb:
 
Kim, my home healthcare nurse wanted me to shower so that the steri strips would fall off. :thumb: She said that they need that shower water in order to come off. She was correct and even with a shower every day, it took forever for them to come off. :sigh: You should not try to take them off, they need to fall off to get a nice clean incision scar. Mine is looking good, so I guess she gave me good advice. :SUNsmile:
Yeah, when they start flapping you can help them the rest of the way. Mine came loose at various rates...
 
Jacky, I did what kneeper did. As the steri-strips started flapping I'd help them a little, cutting of the edges. If it pulled a little further off, well that was OK. By the time I got back for my 4-week office visit, the physician's assistant was surprised that there were a few remnants of steri-strips there. I had already taken off about every other steri-strip.He helped me get them all off. It was SOOOOO wonderful to get rid of them. Showers help in loosening them a bit here and there.
 
Good luck at your appointment tomorrow. Hope Minnie starts behaving herself soon, she’s a girl, maybe she’s just a bit more emotional. I only have one week of in-home PT left, I’m really going to miss her. I like the one-on-one attention you get with in-home therapy. I see my doctor at the end of the month and if it’s the same as last time I’ll get one month but they’ll make me go out. The one doctor said they like us to go to outpatient so we get out of the house. I have plenty of places I’d rather go. I think walking around Target would be great therapy. Physical & Emotional :yes:
 
Morning Glory, outpatient PT is good. You have the same therapist every time and it's "one-on-one". They also give you time to relax for a minute after various exercises. I usually went 15-20 minutes early so that I could "warm up" on the stationary bike". I started doing mall-walking too, but going to stores (and mall walking) is VERY tiring, particularly at first. The energy level drops quickly. If you have places to sit around the store, that helps. I do that at the grocery store too. It helps just to sit for a minute or two.
 
Good morning Morning Glory, Yea, I think Minnie is starting to see the light. She only has a very tiny spot that weeps and her and Mickey have been allowing me to sleep on my side for short periods of time before I switch to the other side. So far, so good! :thumb:

Becky, I was lucky enough to have glue to seal my incisions and all went well except for two little spots on Minnie which likes to weep, however today it's just one very small spot left.
 
All went well at the OS appointment today! :thumb: He wasn't concerned about Minnie and her weepy state, he said the blood work came back negative for an infection, so that was good news. He wants me to continue with iron supplements and a whey protein drink to build healthy red blood cells and healthy bone healing. I start out patient PT next week, slow and easy! He said 12 cessions should do it.

So starting next week another chapter shall be started in my recovery! :ok:
 
Glad to hear Minnie was just putting on a show, looking for some attention for her weepiness! Lol. I'm hoping to avoid the threatened iron supplements and am eating more red meat now that I'm home. The whey protein drink is a good idea, if that will help. I have some here. I would not have thought of it, but will start using it since you mentioned it. Thanks for the idea!

You asked if I had soreness when I was sleeping on my side or stomach. I noticed the last couple of nights that my thigh muscles, front and back, are a little sore to roll over and lay on. Like pressing on a bruise or something but just bigger general areas. Not sure why when I don't get that laying or sitting on my backside.
 
Janet, I did ask my OS about the thigh tenderness as I too was experiencing it when I rolled over from one side to the other and he said, we do need to cut threw the quad/thigh muscle to get to the knee, so therefore it will be tender until it heals completely. So at least it explained the tenderness. I guess we don't feel it when we sit or lay on our back side because they do the cutting on the front portion, so when we lay on our side it kinda pushes everything together toward the front. I guess when they say they mangle us they mean it. :headbang: I suppose all will be less tender as time goes by! :whistle: I was hoping to avoid the iron pill to but he said, you did loose a good amount of blood through the surgery so take it for at least another month it will help you feel more energized. Norm bought me the chocolate whey protein powder so that should help! I'll get my chocolate any way I can! :ok:

Reetpteet, I was relieved with the blood results for sure! I don't like surprises! :shocked: I do look forward to my next chapter in the saga of knee replacement and recovery! :thumb: I'm having a feeling this is going to be a large book! I hope it's in large PRINT! :thumb:
 
OOOOerrrr I am allergic to iron so I hope I wont need anything like that. Pleased all is going so well for you should find out tuesday if they are going to fix my knee. I too look forward to hearing your continued adventures you are all an inspiration
 
highland pony, I so hope they fix your knee!:thumb: I will be waiting to here some good news from you! Good luck on Tuesday!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom