Bilateral TKR Mickey & Minnie are looking on the bright side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure Jacky agrees, it was absolutely the best decision to do both at one time! I can't believe my luck in coming to that conclusion.
 
Organist said:
Jacky, glad that you had a fabulous steak dinner. Our lunch at Biltmore Estate was wonderful too. They have a complementary dessert for couples celebrating wedding anniversaries. It's 3 cupcake-size ice creams covered in chocolate. The two outside ones with strawberry ice cream, and the middle one with chocolate ice cream. "Happy Anniversary" is spelled out in chocolate icing on the edge of the plate. They apparently have a bunch of them prepared, frozen, and ready.

Becky, where is the Biltmore? I think I've been there, unless I'm thinking of something else. I was in Rhode Island two years ago and we visited an estate (Vanderbilt's?) I might be confused.
 
Janet, I would never try the wine while on pain meds. OMG, you'd fine my face in my plate, and not chewing on that wonderful steak for sure!:thud: I hadn't had a pain med since 9 pm Friday night, cause I was feeling really great on Saturday and we didn't have the steaks and wine until 5:30 pm Saturday and I thought I was pretty safe for the treat.:ok: I didn't have a nap, however I did go to bed at 8:30 and fell fast asleep, content as a kitty that had catnip!:kittykiss:
Then 10:30 pm struck and I had the worst pain ever in my left (Mickey) foot!:groan:Something like a throbbing tooth ache that goes and comes back every couple of minutes! Hubby was just coming to bed at that time and I got up and grabbed my cane and went to the recliner cause I knew it was going to be a long night! I then grabbed a pain pill and settled in on the recliner with my blankie.:rolleyes: Norm came looking for me and asked why I was out on the recliner and I told him, he said, you take the bed you're the one that's healing, I'll sleep out here. Sweet man! I guess I'll keep him for another 47 yrs.:thumb: I told him I appreciate his offer, but through BoneSmart I have learned that when this happens the recliner is the best place to be. Thank you my friends, you are sooooo right!:friends: Every time I got a spasm I was able to do foot pumps and ankle rotations which allowed it to subside for a minute or so. I don't know what time I fell asleep, but I woke up to the birds singing around 5am, so I got up, went to the bathroom and slid back in bed with the Normster! Pain gone, slept till 8am and felt great again, however this time I did not ignore my pain med.

Did I mention that the steak and wine were great!:heehee: Lifes little pleasures! Back to reality and on with recovery!:thumb:

Becky, glad to here you had a great time out for you anniversary!:friends:That dessert sounds delicious! What a great treat!:yes: Now that you know that they have such a wonderful treat for anniversary couples maybe you can make it a monthly treat, just try to get a different waiting staff each time!:heehee:
 
Is that foot pain something different than the toe pain from the other day? That's toe bad! I do hope you have a better night tonight. How was the weather? The surgeons assistant said the barometric pressure will be felt.

Are you ready for PT? I'm going back to the same PT I worked with before, so I think I know what to expect. I didn't do any exercises today other than walking around the house. Good luck tomorrow!
 
Hi Janet, Actually this foot pain is on the other leg (Mickey), I guess he needed attention! It's more like a spasm that starts on the outside of the foot and works it's way up the leg. Pumping and rotating the foot seems to stop the spasm for a minute or so then reappears again and so it goes on for about 1/2 hr to 1 hr then I'm able to fall asleep again. It reared it's ugly head when I was watching TV last night and then around 4am this morning. I guess when it's ready to leave me alone it will. I am thinking maybe it some new nerves waking up saying, What the heck happened, where have I been, time to wake up and let myself be known that, I'm Baaaaack!!!!.:snork: The other toe thing was Minnie and she seems to be behaving herself! Knock on wood!:skep:
I do start PT on Wednesday. I have not met this guy yet, but he owns the Family Physical Therapy Center and comes highly recommended by my OS and the PT at the rehab place that I was at. However, if he is the aggressive type, which I will ask as we shake hands for the first time, and if he says yes that will be the end of that session!:scare:

It seems like every day brings on a new issue. I've come to realize that my breathing has been getting more shallow and I've been using my inhaler for asthma at night as well as the morning, then I realized that I have also been using my rescue inhaler, which I haven't used in almost a year. I took a look at the Oxycodone leaflet and sure enough shallow breathing and shortness of breath is the top cause for side effects, so I call my OS office and they immediately call the pharmacy and put in a script for Ultracet, which is a combo of Tamatol and acediminaphen (sp). Hopefully that will work!

When do you start your PT? I hope all is well with you and you recovery so far!:friends:

The weather was absolutely beautiful yesterday! We sat in the sunroom, play games with the kids on our Ipads and napped in our recliners, so I guess I can say, day well spent!:ok:
 
That foot pain going up the leg sounds like it could be the sciatic nerve. Even though it runs through the butt, down around the knee, through the calf and ankle and into the foot, I sometimes only feel it in the foot or knee or butt. You might mention it to the PT. I start PT today, in a couple of hours actually. I should get up and walk around I suppose. I've just been icing since getting up late.
 
Thanks Janet, I will mention it to my PT tomorrow! May be it is the sciatic nerve. I felt it before but only in the butt cheek down the leg to the calf, never to the foot before.
Don't rush getting up and walking around, they'll help you with that at PT for sure!
 
Good luck with your start with PT tomorrow. I'm sure they will be pleased with where you already are!
 
Thanks Janet, My PT is on Wed the 27th at 11:15. Today I am going to try my stationary bike and see how I do on that!
Gotta get these "hot to trot" knee in motion before the stiffen up! Slow and easy!:bicycle2::heehee:
 
Always something. I have noticed my shoulder hurting and think it is the way I lay because of my knee. I guess we stress parts of our body to compensate for the knee. Hope the spasams stop. Have had them before and It feels like you can't stand it. But then passes, thank goodness.
Jacky, I really admire you, can not imagine having both knees at once. Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery.
 
Vicki, I was also noticing how much my shoulders hurt, in addition to my thighs and couldn't see a reason for it until I realized that I am constantly lifting myself with my arms in order to scootch up in bed.
 
Yup, The arms take a load for sure! I use them to lift from my dining room chair, my recliner, the toilet seat, moving positions in bed, getting in and out of bed, etc... just like you gals. Now I'm hoping we won't need shoulder replacements before this is all done! Or, that we'll have such upper arm and back muscles and we'll start looking like the hulk, and everyone will start running the other way when they see us!:rotfl: Please don't turn us green!:heehee:
 
No kidding! It's a trick to try to make something better without making something else worse! Plus, I need to remind myself as I think about the future with my new knees that when all is said and done, I'm still going to be in my 60's! Feeling younger isn't the same as being younger!
 
Janet you've got a point there, feeling younger isn't the same as being younger! It's better!:thumb: All the hard work of being young is over! Now we have new knees and we can enjoy life at our leisure and knee pain free!:yahoo:
Thanks for the reminder!:friends:
 
I just finished 5 minutes on my stationary bike and I was able to do full rotation! :bicycle1: I didn't need the seat fully back otherwise my feet wouldn't touch the paddles, and I had the tension set on 2. I was surprised that I got my foot over the center bar, that would have been enough for me, the rest was a bonus! :happydance: YAY! Feel'n great!
 
Hey Jacky! That's great. :thumb: The Tour de France is coming up, maybe you could pedal long with them :heehee:
We have a bike, hubby's going to get it set up for me later. I start out patient PT next week and I know they'll put me on the bike there too.
I'm happy for you, you're doing great!
 
Super! I could only get over with one knee. My one knee is 15-20 degrees behind the other. You are doing so well right out the chute, niggly toes and feet aside!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom