Guest viewing is limited

THR Merrimay's on the other side now THR

Hi @Merrimay .. I have not been able to take ibuprofen or naproxen or any NSAIDS for over 4 years as experienced bleeds and other problems as I had been on them for years waiting for first hip 2018. Took just paracetamol leading up to next hip and occasional Tramadol seem to work for me. Good luck with your recovery and unless you are in a big hurry take it slowly, much less pain involved I found...but only after overdoing it too many times.
Thank you, DK63. I've definitely set myself back this past week. I had a hair appointment this morning but cancelled it. Simply too tired and in too much pain to manage it. I think I'd hoped by week 5 I'd be seeing real improvement. But it's been a real decline. Trying to remain positive, but must admit I'm nervous. I have aches where I didn't know I had body parts!!
I took a massive backward step at 4 weeks after physio. I went back to doing pretty much nothing and it finally settled down after a couple of weeks.
I’ve felt like I wasn’t progressing at all then at 7 weeks (last Monday) all of a sudden I just felt stronger when I woke up.
My GP phoned today and I didn’t realise I’d walked unaided from the bathroom to lounge until the call ended and I realised I had nothing to get me back there.
It’s just going to be a long recovery.
 
I kind of hated how I felt at four weeks. It seemed like nothing was happening, I was cranky, didn't feel like I was making progress. Then, like you, at seven weeks all of a sudden I realized I was indeed walking without a cane and thinking, "How did THAT happen?" As you said, it's going to take a while but progress DOES happen.
 
Hi @Merrimay .. I have not been able to take ibuprofen or naproxen or any NSAIDS for over 4 years as experienced bleeds and other problems as I had been on them for years waiting for first hip 2018. Took just paracetamol leading up to next hip and occasional Tramadol seem to work for me. Good luck with your recovery and unless you are in a big hurry take it slowly, much less pain involved I found...but only after overdoing it too many times.
Thank you, DK63. I've definitely set myself back this past week. I had a hair appointment this morning but cancelled it. Simply too tired and in too much pain to manage it. I think I'd hoped by week 5 I'd be seeing real improvement. But it's been a real decline. Trying to remain positive, but must admit I'm nervous. I have aches where I didn't know I had body parts!!
I took a massive backward step at 4 weeks after physio. I went back to doing pretty much nothing and it finally settled down after a couple of weeks.
I’ve felt like I wasn’t progressing at all then at 7 weeks (last Monday) all of a sudden I just felt stronger when I woke up.
My GP phoned today and I didn’t realise I’d walked unaided from the bathroom to lounge until the call ended and I realised I had nothing to get me back there.
It’s just going to be a long recovery.
Thank you for your reassurance, Brookeer. I'm simply not experiencing the "advances" at week 5 that are promised on the activities charts. No way could I walk the mile others describe at this point. I can't do a half mile.
Too much stiffness and thigh pain and fatigue sets in. Tried shifting from walker to poles during week 4 and all it got me was a return to the walker this week. Hard not to think that I'm doing a "bad job" at recovering so I've decided to toss the Activities-by-week charts.
I made plans to fly to NY in May for my 50th high school reunion, but I'll cancel if I can't walk and sit comfortably in Jan. The thought of spending hours in a narrow airplane seat nauseates me. And no way I'm showing up at reunion on a walker!! :)

I simply waited too long for this surgery, and I don't believe I'll return to the normal I'd imagined. But I am deeply grateful for the reduction in pain. That alone made the surgery worth it.

You're so right, Brookeer: it's going to be a long recovery. Im thankful to have you and all the loving Bonesmarters in my corner!
 
Oh please dont get discouraged, Merrimay. It is so difficult to abstain from comparing our progress with that of others and that's why we so frequently caution against it. There are so many variables in why we progress on different timelines. I think you're wise to stop viewing the Activity Progression if all its doing is making you feel as though you're falling short. Keep in mind, its only a rough gauge, not a test you need to pass weekly. There will always be those that excel and those that lag behind. Again, it is due to the way we approach our surgery physically. It sounds like you were struggling for quite some time before your THR, which can lead to a slower / longer recovery.

Try setting small goals, goals that are more attainable so you're not feeling as defeated. If you walk outdoors, go one house or mailbox further every couple of days. You may have waited a long time before scheduling surgery and may not be progressing as quickly as you hoped, but that doesn't mean you won't reach the finish line.

Something else I'm sure you've read here is that many still experience improvement into their second and third years post op, believe that...its true! I've read it numerous times over the years and even read of OS's telling their patients the same. So chin up please and I hope you'll reconsider canceling your flight (as early as January) to NYC for your 50th class reunion because I'm quite sure that however you're feeling in January will not be the way you're feeling four months later in May. Don't lose hope, but instead just keep on keeping on. You'll get there!
Hugs and best wishes for a good day!
@Merrimay
 
You're absolutely right, Layla. I suspect coming off the nsaids has made me much more aware of my pain, and I did imagine Week 5 as a breakthrough point based on the charts, which was silly. I know every recovery is different. I need to get my chin back up, don't I? I'll re-read your post often! Thank you.
 
I just went back and looked at the Activity Progression Chart -- there is no way I was walking 30 minutes at week four or five. In fact, yesterday was the first time I walked that long at one time. Week seven and with a cane, if I'm counting correctly. So just let your body be your guide and celebrate your own, personal milestones. You'll get there!
 
Thank you, Woodstockhip. And it turns out that neither my OS team nor my PTs checked to see if my walker (which I set up) needed to be adjusted. I only came across the notion by reading one of Abbylayla's posts. She and Layla told me how: stand in the middle of the walker with your arms down. You want the handles to fall at the crease of your wrists. So I checked mine...do you believe that my walker was set two notches too low? No wonder my back and shoulders hurt. And no doubt this has not helped with retraining my muscles. I marvel at the many simple but significant recovery suggestions I'd never know if it weren't for my bonesmart friends!
 
I waited three years for my op so a long time like you. After the op I can’t say I had pain as such - it was more sore than anything.

So, once I started getting over the pain the physio caused at four weeks I decided to just take it easy from now on. It caused me to take a big dip mentally as well as I really felt like I should be doing better.

It was hard to do but for two weeks I pretty much did nothing apart from simple stuff indoors. I decided to wait until the pain had gone and I’m so glad I did. I cancelled my next physio appointment too. I’m not going back until I want to and I’m not doing anything I’m not comfortable with.

If it hadn’t been for this group I’d have probably pushed myself and caused more damage.

I was worried about not walking enough as I’ve only been out of the flat a few times so I’ve just started using a sitting pedal exerciser and using the Revitive circulation booster. The first day I managed 5 minutes but I can do half an hour now (not using resistance though). If it’s sore the next day I don’t do it.
I don’t know if it’s that or whether it would have happened anyway but I’m definitely getting stronger.

I’m still using one crutch and not needing its support as much as I have done even a week ago. I have a go using a walking stick each day but I can walk better with the crutch so sticking with it until I just don’t need it.
I’ve just faced the fact that I’m going to have a long slow recovery.

At the end of the day I’m so glad the debilitating pain has gone and if all I can do is walk unaided and pain free in a few months I’ll be happy.

I mentioned to the physio I had pre op that I still can’t bend down and he told me not to worry about anything. The main thing is to let the muscles & tissues heal then he’ll help with that. He thinks the muscles under my ribs will need working on as they haven’t been used for three years. I hadn’t even thought of that as a reason for not being able to bend down.

I hope you don’t cancel your trip. You’re really not alone in your recovery. Next May is a long time away and it sounds like it’d be a great reunion.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your encouragement and understanding, Brookeer. I'll postpone thoughts of canceling my trip in May until I have a better sense of things in Mar or April.

Right now I'm thinking I most likely will need hip 2 (R) done in a few months rather than in a few years. On the x-rays it looks just as deteriorated as my left did pre-op. I was shocked because I'd been using the R hip to keep me mobile, so I'd assumed it was stronger. My OS has never brought up the second surgery, so this is my own thinking. I waited way too long for THR #1, spending the 4 months before surgery at levels 9 and 10 pain and stuck at home in bed. I can't let that happen with the R hip, so feel I have no option but to schedule a 2nd THR sooner than later.

The thought of going through this again so soon nauseates and frightens me. I'm embarrassed to tell you this, but night before last I dreamed my non-operative leg had to be amputated! C
 
Do any of you have the type of gait where you lurch onto your so-called good side as you walk? I've had it for years. Think I'll only overcome it with surgery 2...
 
Trendenlenburg gait or thereabouts...
 
Did you get a positive diagnosis from your surgeon or a pt that you have trendelenburg gait?
The excellent pt that I saw in the year or two prior to the thr saw the beginnings of that in my gait, and told me it's from weak glute medius and glute minimus muscles. They are important in abduction, and when they're weak the pelvis goes wonky, resulting in the waddling gait.
A lot of work on those muscles helped a ton. I'm not so sure I'd be doing them early on in thr recovery though. I don't remember exactly, but I think I was about 5-6 months out when I restarted doing them, or a modified version of them.
 
A friend who teaches Athletic Training at a local college first "diagnosed" the gait years ago. Oddly, neither of my pre-op PTs mentioned it, though they did refer to my limp. OS watched me walk at my first appointment but said nothing about it. I see his nurse on Dec 9 and will ask her about it then. I'd be thrilled if I could buy time with glute medias and maximus exercises! Thanks for suggesting the possibility!!
 
Merrimay, you can do an online search and see videos of people walking with a Trendelenburg gait IF you're unfamiliar it may give you a better idea as to whether it pertains in your regard. BoneSmart's Nurse Emeritus, Josephine (50+ yrs experience in orthopedics) referred to Trendenlenburg as a form of a limp that may be caused by Leg length differential - LLD. Something to ponder...
@Merrimay
 
I'd like to add that if that is the case, the LLD that is, it's something that can be resolved when the time comes for a Right THR. Lots of IF's :wink:
 
Hi Layla, I told my OS at our first meeting that I had an LLD. He tested and said no. Just watched several YouTube videos on the Trendelenburg, and, yes, that's my gait. I had my L hip done. For several years now I've lurched onto the right, which is now more painful than the operative hip. I think I'll text my preop PT and ask if he diagnosed me with the gait. Keep you posted!
 
Hi everyone, yesterday officially marked six weeks since surgery. I decided to call my OS because I've continued to see no progress for almost two weeks now. He said that at 6 weeks I've reached 75% of my probable outcome, but the important thing is that I am no longer at the level 9 and 10 pain I was prior to surgery.

Have any of you heard something like this before? I may have misunderstood him.
 
No, I've heard over and again and learned through others documentation of their recoveries that complete healing can take a full year and even longer for some. Read this article and don't give up the thought that it will get better. Six weeks post op is the infancy of the healing process in the entire scheme of things.
Healing: how long does it take?
 
This may interest you if you haven't already seen it.

[Bonesmart.org] Merrimay's on the other side now THR
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom