THR Merrimay's on the other side now THR

Well, well, well. THR has certainly forced me to come to terms with elements of my personality that helped me succeed professionally (the usual Type A, oldest daughter of daughters who lived for her father's approval stuff) but are not serving my recovery well.

Bottom line: I wanted to cross the recovery finish line first. Remember the Scottish Olympic runner in Chariots of Fire? My father was a Hebridean who ran for his life...literally. Won a track scholarship at the University of Virginia and never stopped sprinting! Anyway, that scene in the film when someone trips the Scottish runner in an Olympic race. The Scot goes down. Comes to his senses. Jumps up and ... wins the gold medal. My father was like that. Co.ong in second was not an option. I didn't fall from the tree.

And then this. For 4 months prior to surgery, I was at level 9-10 pain, unable to drive, barely able to walk. I made up my mind that the minute I got my chance (the surgery), I'd get up and win the gold!

These past few days (week 5) have made me realize the beauty and strength possessed by those who don't give up and are humble and brave enough to not demand the gold.

Every one of the setbacks I've had these past weeks I brought on myself through my impatience and insistence that my body do more and do it faster than it was ready to do.

Recovery from THR is not about speed or who crosses the line first and wins the applause. For me, it's been about pacing and slow mastery punctuated with frustration and setbacks. It's been about the freedom to to do my best, whatever that is. To stop pushing and go with the flow.

I share this because I've read of other's seemingly rapid victories and felt angry with myself for making progess one day only to experience two days of setbacks.

If you identify with this at all, be kind to yourself. Theres nothing wrong with striving or running to win. But with THR, there's something to be said for walking off that track and finding your own path. xxoo
Love this. Thank you for sharing. I'm 8 weeks post op now and still experiencing a lot of pain and very disrupted sleep - worse than preop! BUT my walking is s getting better and I'm desperately reminding myself that in a couple more months, I'm sure it will all have been worth it
 
Oh, the saga continues! You're not going to believe the latest. Bit into a Subway sandwich and broke my front tooth in half!
I'd read all the warnings about dental procedures potentially causing infection in the new joint. Long and short is that my OS has sent an RX for me to take an antibiotic one hour before I go in for the crown fitting, which I hope will be within a week. But do you believe it? One thing after another...I am really tired of all this drama!
Hope your crown fitting goes well and no complications for your hip! Do you know how long you should give post op for dental work not to be an issue?
 
Hi Kazza22! My OS wanted me to postpone dental work for 3 months. Even then, he requires that I take a big dose of Amoxicillin 1 hour before dental work for the rest of my life. I've read that the ADA stopped requiring this year's ago because their studies haven't found any benefit. But most orthopedic surgeons still recommemd it and most dentists just go along.

Because I received no injection to get a bond, my OS agreed to the procedure. But he wanted me to wait til January for the crown, which I'm doing.
Oh, the saga continues! You're not going to believe the latest. Bit into a Subway sandwich and broke my front tooth in half!
I'd read all the warnings about dental procedures potentially causing infection in the new joint. Long and short is that my OS has sent an RX for me to take an antibiotic one hour before I go in for the crown fitting, which I hope will be within a week. But do you believe it? One thing after another...I am really tired of all this drama!
Hope your crown fitting goes well and no complications for your hip! Do you know how long you should give post op for dental work not to be an issue?


The bonding went fine.

You may find your doctor's dental work suggestions in the pre- or post-op packet they provided.

Keep up the good work on your journey to healing!!!
 
A couple days into week 5 and I'm struggling with fatigue. Seems like I had more energy in weeks 3 and 4. Based on your all's experience, is this to be expected? I stopped supplementing with iron because it upsets my stomach...
 
@Merrimay The fatigue can last for quite a long time. Healing takes a lot of energy and is not just the healing of the incision. There is a lot of healing that goes on inside too.

When I had my BTHR I had "nap attacks" (aka suddenly feeling like I need to sleep right now) for about 6 months. But that particular post-op thing that no one tells you about did go away!
 
Hi @Merrimay
It's normal to struggle with fatigue. There is the stress on the body from the surgery, then there's blood loss, the need for medications, post surgery pain, possible dietary changes and fluctuations in sleep patterns. Our energy supply isn't limitless so when we're healing, energy will be used for healing first not leaving a lot for anything else.
This can last awhile and relates to your body's rate of healing. My best advice is to sleep when you're able, even if it's napping for a time until your sleep regulates more, and it will.
 
Thank you, Layla. You always comfortband encourage!
 
@Merrimay The fatigue can last for quite a long time. Healing takes a lot of energy and is not just the healing of the incision. There is a lot of healing that goes on inside too.

When I had my BTHR I had "nap attacks" (aka suddenly feeling like I need to sleep right now) for about 6 months. But that particular post-op thing that no one tells you about did go away!
I love the concept of nap attacks!
 
Love me a good nap! Don't need then too often anymore but I do most of my errands and other activities fairly early in the day so by 3-3:30 I'm ready for an hour of just watching TV and relaxing or reading before dinner hour.
In bed by 9 most nights.
 
Anyone encountered nsaid-related stomach issues? Week 5. A year on n-saids
 
Advil (nsaid) has always been my drug of choice, however, my primary doesn't want me to use it everyday. I don't need it all the time now anyway but in the beginning I was using the 800mg of Ibuprofen.
Told me not only bad for your stomach but long term not good for your heart.
I eat yogurt every AM to try and help minimize stomach issues, no clue if it works or not but I like the yogurt anyway.
I've been doing a lot of cooking prep today for the holiday so on my feet for several hours and my back let me know it, so I did take some Advil today and went and laid on couch with ice pack for an hour. All better.
 
Happy Thanksgiving! And thank you.
 
Nsaids are hardest on your kidneys.Drink a full glass of water with them. Also need to ask you OS if OK if you are on a blood thinner.
 
Good idea. Will do. Friend recommended camomile tea, and it does seem to help a bit.

I stopped the ibuprofen today. Will take the lowest dose of tylenol my aches allow. For some reason, I've hurt all over the past few days. Perhaps our frigid temps haven't helped
 
Hi @Merrimay .. I have not been able to take ibuprofen or naproxen or any NSAIDS for over 4 years as experienced bleeds and other problems as I had been on them for years waiting for first hip 2018. Took just paracetamol leading up to next hip and occasional Tramadol seem to work for me. Good luck with your recovery and unless you are in a big hurry take it slowly, much less pain involved I found...but only after overdoing it too many times.
 
I am sorry you hurt all over and have some stomach issues. I hope you're feeling better today so you're able to have a nice holiday this week...that's if you're celebrating.

If you haven't considered it yet and have the time, you may want to do a little research on alternative remedies to relieve pain in an effort to lessen the need for NSAIDS, or any OTC pain relievers for that matter.
Acetaminophen, is an alternative, but has its own risks such as possible liver damage.
There are topical NSAIDS which supposedly aren't absorbed into the bloodstream to the same extent.

Also, Arnica, Curcumin, Bromelain, Topical Capsaicin, Turmeric have benefitted some.
Acupunture, Yoga
Fish Oil and Glucosamine and also CBD products
Heat or Cold therapy
Also, there's the option of trying to incorporate more foods into the diet that fight inflammation. Limit sugar and processed foods, take time for daily exercise, work at reducing stress and get adequate sleep.

I hope you're able to find options that will lessen your pain, Merrimay, without the danger of negative effects that can occur with long term use.

Happy Wednesday! I hope it's a good one. :)
 
Hi @Merrimay .. I have not been able to take ibuprofen or naproxen or any NSAIDS for over 4 years as experienced bleeds and other problems as I had been on them for years waiting for first hip 2018. Took just paracetamol leading up to next hip and occasional Tramadol seem to work for me. Good luck with your recovery and unless you are in a big hurry take it slowly, much less pain involved I found...but only after overdoing it too many times.
Thank you, DK63. I've definitely set myself back this past week. I had a hair appointment this morning but cancelled it. Simply too tired and in too much pain to manage it. I think I'd hoped by week 5 I'd be seeing real improvement. But it's been a real decline. Trying to remain positive, but must admit I'm nervous. I have aches where I didn't know I had body parts!!
 
I am sorry you hurt all over and have some stomach issues. I hope you're feeling better today so you're able to have a nice holiday this week...that's if you're celebrating.

If you haven't considered it yet and have the time, you may want to do a little research on alternative remedies to relieve pain in an effort to lessen the need for NSAIDS, or any OTC pain relievers for that matter.
Acetaminophen, is an alternative, but has its own risks such as possible liver damage.
There are topical NSAIDS which supposedly aren't absorbed into the bloodstream to the same extent.

Also, Arnica, Curcumin, Bromelain, Topical Capsaicin, Turmeric have benefitted some.
Acupunture, Yoga
Fish Oil and Glucosamine and also CBD products
Heat or Cold therapy
Also, there's the option of trying to incorporate more foods into the diet that fight inflammation. Limit sugar and processed foods, take time for daily exercise, work at reducing stress and get adequate sleep.

I hope you're able to find options that will lessen your pain, Merrimay, without the danger of negative effects that can occur with long term use.

Happy Wednesday! I hope it's a good one. :)
Thank you for your many suggestions, Layla. I am very open to alternative treatments. I began using Arnica in my 40s when my knees started giving me trouble. I've started an anti-inflammatory diet and take Glucosamine Chondroitan. I also did anodyne therapy pre-op, but am not sure it's kosher with an implant. I'll keep investigating.

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US! Happy today and tomorrow for those who dwell elsewhere!
 
Sorry you are hurting so much Merrimay... sending lots of good wishes and virtual hugs....x
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom