THR Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<insert all the bad swear words here > I have had a little something of a setback on Friday. I was riding, everything was fine...and then everything wasn't. Spud got a fright and spun around unexpectedly, depositing me on the ground directly onto my new hip.

I had a lovely ride in an ambulance to the local hospital where X-rays showed up a spiral fracture of my femur that extended into the cement holding the stem of my new hip in place.

So now I've been transferred to a bigger hospital and I'm scheduled for revision surgery today with a new, longer stem, a plate and cables to hold it all together. My original OS isn't available, but one of his partners, also a primary and revision hip specialist will be doing the surgery. I'm sad, angry, depressed and feeling a bit defeated. I'm in constant tears, just can't seem to stop crying. I'm starting to wonder if it's time to give up horses, but at the same time understand that horses are the reason I get up every day. There's a yawning, empty cavern extending out in front of me - no idea what else I will do - nothing else interests me. Maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, but im feeling wretched, and the pain and drugs aren't helping. I hope with every fibre of my being that post op pain will be easier to deal with than the fracture pain - I'm in traction, so I'm literally tied to my bed.

The lady in the bed next to me is a life sucking force. She had a fall and has had her hip pinned two weeks ago. All I hear from her side of the curtain is relentless negativity....it's too hard....I can't get up....but I won't use a bed pan....the food is dreadful, take it away...shut that curtain....why is the light on....I don't like It....hurry up, why doesn't anyone help me, I pressed the button a nanosecond ago! The nurses have all had enough of her, I most certainly have too. My hallmark positivity has been sucked into her black hole of negativity. The only ray of light is that she's moving to a rehab centre tomorrow. If she's still whining when I get back to the room post op, I will not be responsible for telling her to shut her whiney mouth and just get on with it! Not very compassionate of me, I know, but there it is.

So, I get to do recovery over, probably non weight bearing for six weeks with every restriction in the book. Wow, happy new year........
 
And yes, I would love some cheese to go with that whine! Just had to get it off my chest. Thanks Bonesmarties for being here.
 
Wow bless your heart. Accidents do happen. Hope all is ok with u. I will be praying. Xoxo
 
Oh Jena, @Meggzie - that is such bad luck, Aussie girl.. one day at a time thinking about horse riding - you will get back on Spud.. I hope by now Jena you are in the OR and soon to be in recovery...

From one recent Aussie spectacular aerobatic faller to another Jena, would you like a nice Tasmanian Cheddar? xx

BTW, our Sydney to Hobart - Spirit of Mateship yacht has just docked at Constitution Dock full spinnaker... Mates4Mates xxxxxx
 
Jena, I read your post to my Aussie hubby, ex army, and in true form he said.. 'Get a Harley.... '

We are thinking of you!
 
Ouch! Oh @Meggzie I am so sorry about your fall. Don't let that person in the bed next to you dampen your resolve. You will get through this and ride again. Of course you can't give up riding! You live for it. Accidents happen and life goes on. Take care and do keep us updated!
 
Hi everyone! Thanks all for your kind words. @Poppet , Tasmanian cheddar will be just the very thing, thankyou! Turns out it was a public holiday in the nation's capital, and there was a problem with spare parts supply. Surgery will now be sometime after 1pm today (Tuesday). Heading back over to the silver linings playbook...on the up side, I'm not fasting from midnight and get to eat an early breakfast in the morning. I have also been blessed by the visits and well wishes of my friends and family, I am overwhelmed at how far the news spread, and how many people have made the effort to contact me with support!

It's 1.30 am right now and I've just had a 10 mg endone (oxycodone) tablet to back up the nerve block in my leg - So it's back to sleep for me in a minute! That ought to last til brekky, then hopefully not too long a wait to get the repair job done.....fingers crossed for no more delays!
 
So sorry to hear about your fall from Spud @Meggzie.... Sending all best wishes from here in the UK for your op.... Will be thinking of you and waiting for news of your recovery.
It's such a bummer for you but with your spirit you will get through this (and be riding your dear Spud again). Cheese with your whine.... Got to be some English Stilton.
Sending lots of good healing wishes your way.... Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh for sh*ts sake @Meggzie...what ARE you doing?!! You tell ME to "step away from the ladder" (if I remember correctly), then HURL yourself off the back of a rather larger horse!! You can't take your eyes off a girl for a second :tantrum:

On a serious note, I am so sorry to hear of your "setback", you must feel wretched; and I'm sure "Mrs Happy" in the next bed must be adding SOOOO much to your hospital stay; at least THAT's one pain that you'll be rid of quickly if she's going to rehab, :fingersx:

How come you're in a shared room anyway? I had a single room for my THR and when I had the fall in Feb, public patient, public hospital. standard for Ortho I thought... mind you, I did have a shared room for my gallbladder removal op in June, and I was sharing with (quite possibly the SAME) Mrs McWhiney as you are... I was so glad it was a one night stay, then they said I could stay another night if I wanted, but that was to my fast retreating back:heehee: Quite funny really, they told me not to lift anything heavier than a TV remote for a few weeks, then watched me struggle down the corridor with my overnight bag and enormous bunch of flowers (youngest son, doesn't matter the length of the stay... hospital=flowers!) and never offered so much as a hand to press the lift button :shrug:

I hope all goes well with your op, I bet your surgeon is STOKED with you, NOT!! Hopefully you'll be back up on Spud in no time, you know you will... if it's in your blood, it just IS:horseriding:

Thinking of you (it's 1.40am here, I really need to go to bed... perchance to sleep... if only!) Pretty warm here at the mo, 39 tomorrow - at least you'll be in the air con:rotfl:

Sleep tight, talk soon :friends:
Donna xx
 
Hi All!

Well, I'm back on the other side, again. Surgery went well, no plates required, but I have the world's longest stem in place and the bone is all held together with cable ties. I've uploaded a couple of before and after shots of the X-rays.

No private room @craftdee cos I came in through the emergency dept. My nightmare roomie finally left today, and was quickly replaced with a lovely lady who's having dreadful pain from a recent THR. She's handling this with amazing grace, and I hope they can discover the cause of her pain.

I'm non weight bearing, and fining that a real trial, but I guess I'm sore enuf that I can deal with that restriction for now. I'm on full hip precautions for 12 weeks which will test my patience no end.

I've been mobilising as much as possible, but low haemoglobin has seen me passing out left right and centre. I've just had a blood transfusion, so hopefully I can stay upright a bit better from now.

Thank you all for your support, and now that I'm feeling better, I'll try hard to be around a bit more.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    image.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 197
  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    image.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 212
  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    image.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 198
So pleased to read all went well Jena, @Meggzie - I have been watching for your post revision update. What a relief that Mrs Grumpy left and you have a pleasant room mate. I know the restrictions and non weight bearing will test your patience, but you will get through with flying colors.

Update when you feel up to it, we love to hear from you xx
 
So glad to hear that all went well @Meggzie and that you have a much better room mate. Great XRays!!
I'm sure the 12 weeks restrictions will be trying for you....patience during recovery is a hard one! Especially the 2nd time around. Let's hope the blood transfusion helps too! Take it easy...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oh, Jena, how have I missed all of this? I am so sad and angry and feeling the crushing disappointment for you and Spud! I'm sure he was quite upset with his fright and finding you on the ground!

I am so sorry for not being around and whining about my own little aches --- I am sending you pounds and pounds of cheese to allow you plenty to go with as much whine as you need. I am feeling your devastation.

And more than a little relieved that it was raining buckets or way below freezing cold here to prevent me from riding----

So happy you are through surgery and feeling a little more on the feeling better side . . . ug, back to before square 1 for you . . . . I too will try harder to be round a bit more. You are one tough cookie -- You can do this and we both will be back in the saddle with smiles on our faces and contented exuberance in our hearts!

:fasthorse::fasthorse:​
 
@Meggzie so happy to hear you are done "again". Been waiting to hear from you. Can't imagine the disappointment and discouragement you must of felt. But it's very clear you are a strong woman and you are already on your way back. Gather all your bravery, strength, and resolve and just push through the weeks and you will beat this again. It's clear you got what it takes, so before you know it you'll have this one behind you too. Sending lots of good wishes for those days and weeks to fly by. Best of luck to you, Rhonda


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you're through it @Meggzie ... you know I had the 12 weeks of restrictions, they're hard; but guess what? You survive! I know you're feeling pretty c**p right now, hope you pick up really quickly:console2: Shame you didn't end up in a private room (I must have been lucky as I was admitted through Emergency when I fell in Feb, had the room next to the one I was eventually in for the THR) I thought it was standard practice for orthopedics, but I'll take "lucky" - it doesn't happen that often for me:heehee: Glad you've got a nice new roomie :)

One impressive set of Xrays you've got there:dubious: My stem is long too, but that's because of the AVN... they needed "living" bone for the stem to fit into so that it would ossify - and my "living" bone was "living" a fair way down my leg :rotfl: However the "cabling" is yours alone... WOW, like I said, impressive.

Hope you're up and at 'em any time now, try not to worry too much about the restrictions... most of them are nowhere near as difficult as I imagined they'd be, some of them were and none were worse - that's my honest appraisal, and all I can offer and a cyber hug :friends:of course. Don't know how non-weight bearing goes, when you're "over it":bored:you can come and have a good whinge here, we'll stroke you better

Look after yourself... not that you've got much option at the mo, but you get the drift :heehee:

Donna xx
 
@Meggzie Impressive hardware my friend! Your non-weight bearing will be a challenge. Come here and we will all cheer you on. Take care!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom