THR Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi @Meggzie love the gutsy Ozzie attitude. I will remember your attitude when it is my turn later this month. Read your thread last night (sleepless - where is the Sandman???)... I used to ride - all cross country / bush stuff and loved it so I can understand your dilemma in having to move to the more sedate dressage. I'm sure you will get as much enjoyment out of it once you get into it - I think is the "oneness" thing. Any too many moons ago now for me to really comment except from a reminiscence perspective.

Anyhow on matters more mundane - 12 weeks NWB... BUG**R as we say here ( I wrote that in full in one post and got censored... hope this gets thru cause "darn" does not really translate). Hope you have small victories each day on your road to recovery - cheers - Maggie x
 
Here's hoping I can stop throwing my mobility aids on the floor and stranding myself tomorrow
I can't tell you how many tantrums I had over that helpless feeling. Dropping everything was my worst frustration. For my second THR I had 3 grabbers for this exact scenario! Watch for low flying crutches! :heehee:
 
Hi all!! Thanks to all of you for dropping by on my thread.

Well, I've just had an even more massive roller coaster ride than the one a couple of days ago. For those of you who remember my first recovery, you will know that the equine love of my life at the time was a lovely big horse called Johnnie. Shortly after I returned to riding, it was pretty clear that he had gotten a bit too arthritic to continue to work at the rate that I would be demanding with my new hip - so I managed to find him a beautiful new home in sunny Queensland with an amazing family who adore him as much as I do. He was ridden gently and not very often, and pampered with the best feed and love. Unfortunately, a mystery illness struck and in the end it was decided that it would be the kindest thing to help him on his way to the rainbow bridge on Friday afternoon.

This news has hit me like a ton of bricks, and I've been utterly floored for a day or two. I have cried a river, several times over - absolutely unheard of for me. Completely natural, I know, but the savagery of the emotions took me by surprise. He was a very special horse - one in a million and the world is a poorer, darker place with him not in it. The beautiful memories will remain, though. Vale Johnnie!

The hard truth about life, though, is that it goes on, so I must look to the future. I am making arrangements this week to have an occupational therapy assessment of my home so that the right mobility aids can be found and placed, ready for my return home. I am also looking at having a hand held shower head installed - I've been wanting to do that for ages - now i have a reasonable justification to spend the money! Mum has a few appointments in the next week or so - we are aiming to get her here, and me home on 21st Jan. That seems a long way off - hopefully I can fill my days with Bonesmart, visitors and books between now and then to pass the time.

Right now, my biggest challenge isnt really the re-operated left leg (although, its no picnic). The right hip was replaced about 20 months ago, and I thought it was pretty much back at full strength. But no! Because it's doing ALL the work now, it has become apparent that there's still some inherent weakness there. The muscle fatigue in my right leg and butt is giving me some "interesting" aches and pains.

Nobody said life would be easy - but i could use a break any time now!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    Camden police games.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, poor Jena @Meggzie :sorry: So sorry to hear of Johnny's passing, it must be a comfort to know that his last days were filled with such love, many animals don't have that luxury. He was indeed a handsome horse, it is nice to that HE filled other people's lives with love too. I lost a dog in 2004 - Friday 13th August to be exact! and it surprised me too how utterly bereft I felt, it is grief... it is REAL, and you will recover from it, but there will always be a little corner of your heart that is "Johnny's" even with other horses coming along; we have another dog (which I swore NOT to do as I didn't feel I could go through the loss again) he is the sweetest little chap, I adore him, but still there is room for a little "Toby" place in my heart.

Onto "easier" things (gawd, who'd have thought the recovery you're going through could be considered "easier" than something:flabber:) Hand held shower... BRILLIANT! We reno'd our bathrooms a couple of years ago and put them in; most of the time they stay attached to the pole (?) stand thingy, I find it really great if your feet get dirty - you can sluice them off after scrubbing. During my recovery they really came into their own. The first week or so I sat on the chair in the shower and could get "thorough coverage" without getting my hair wet. Even after the chair was dispensed with I found it was great as I just stood in one spot in the shower and used the flexible hose to make the shower head move around me... it felt really good, standing nice and stable not having to shuffle around under a fixed point water source

I hope you get plenty of visitors... or a supply of good books to fill your time before the 21st... the cricket sure isn't going to do it for you is it? :rotfl: We watched the test, honestly... five days then a DRAW:tantrum2: Just finished watching the 20/20 game actually, thought that was going to be a whitewash too, but it was pretty exciting - at least it was an exciting ending - couldn't get much more exciting really, makes you wonder where we'd be without all the technology to decide OUT or NOT OUT

Welcome to my world re the pain in the butt :loll: I'll have to update my thread, though it's "more of the same" really; the physio's agreed with the OS that it's tendinopathy, can take a while to sort out, sigh. She gave me some different stretches to do, I haven't felt the difference in the hamstring/piriformis of the operated leg... but now the other cheek's killing me... what the ????

Anyway, got to go, posts to read, comments to make, opinions to give :heehee:

Hope you are feeling better soon, me crying would be no biggie, but if you're like my husband and it's a rarity (he so rarely cries, not even when his Dad died, in fact I've only seen it once, when I was very unwell some years ago) it is devastating to "see". All I can do is send you hugs and a cyber arm around the shoulders :console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
During my recovery they really came into their own. The first week or so I sat on the chair in the shower and could get "thorough coverage" without getting my hair wet. Even after the chair was dispensed with I found it was great as I just stood in one spot in the shower and used the flexible hose to make the shower head move around me... it felt really good, standing nice and stable not having to shuffle around under a fixed point water source

LOVE the "thorough coverage" comment!!! And awesome for cleaning the shower too - makes it super easy to rinse off whatever I'm using to get the horrible hard water scale off the glass - the water where I live is appalling!

I think I'm all cried out now - and onto remembering the awesome highs I had with the big pony. I'm researching the new shower head for all I'm worth. Just hope I can find the right thing and find a plumber who can install it before I get home...could be tricky - but hey, I've got nothing but time, right?
 
Hi @Meggzie Vale Johnnie:cry:just too sad when our wonderful four legged friends cross the Rainbow Bridge. Totally understand the pain.

I'd be interested in the outcome of your "hand held" research - that sounds the go. I have a walk in shower but have to do wet foot shuffle to get the bits all covered (or rinsed off:giggle:). How long will it be till you get home? You have probably mentioned it in your thread but as I said I read it in the middle of the night when the Sandman was else where and my poor old neuron can't recall.

Do you use an ebook - I have a kobo and a zillion books - mostly who done its... can email you a couple if your are interested (PM me your email addy). Other than that - keep on the mend - cheers Maggie x
 
This news has hit me like a ton of bricks, and I've been utterly floored for a day or two. I have cried a river, several times over - absolutely unheard of for me. Completely natural, I know, but the savagery of the emotions took me by surprise.
Oh Jena, I know exactly what you are feeling. My Jerry cat got very ill the evening I had my RTHR. On my day of discharge I found myself at the vet where he stayed to have IV fluids. Sadly I had to help him over the bridge that Sunday. The grief hit me so hard! It's an emotional roller coaster coming out of major surgery anyway. But to lose a beloved animal at the same time is so devastating. I hope the pain of this loss eases with time and the fond memories replace it. :console2:
 
So, the research is done, as best as I can from a hospital room - and I think I'm going to go with this bad boy...
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!



It is a Methven WELS 3 Star 9L/min Futura Satinjet Rail Shower - I picked it up online for $199. The Satinjet heads get really good reviews online - so I'm pretty happy that this will be a goer. Now to find a plumber who can install ASAP. I am hoping to be home around the 21st Jan so really want it in by then.

I have been inundated with visitors, I am feeling very loved right now - and I will soon be feeling very fat if they dont stop bringing chocolate!!! @Maggie94 thankyou for the kind offer of e-books! I have about 1000 titles on my iPad Kindle app - I'm not stuck for a good read! In fact - seeing as it's nearly 4am - I might try a sure-fire way of going back to sleep - trying to read in bed!!!

@Jaycey, I remember reading about the very sad loss of Jerry and how devastated you were. I was then, and remain now, so sorry for your loss also. Our precious animals leave a hole in our hearts when they leave us.

See you all later today!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry about the loss of your beautiful Johnnie....I know from personal experience how the loss of such a wonderful friend can feel....thoughts are with you Jena.
On a happier note your new shower looks fab...will certainly make things easier when you get home.
Glad you've had lots of visitors & hope those dratted pains go soon! Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ive had half the staples out of the wound today - its a ripper zipper cos there's an extra length stem in there now with complimentary cable ties :heehee: The rest will come out in the next couple of days.
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

The doc has suggested that I stay til the end of next week - 23rd - so that I can make maximum use of the hydro pool next week (he thinks the wound will be well enough healed by Monday). We then have the Australia Day long weekend, when the physio dept will be closed - so it makes sense to go home at that point. Mum is booking her airfares as we speak. :yay:

My shower order has been shipped, so it will definitely be delivered in time to be installed before I get home and I will be all set.

My room has been a mad-house today! I have had visitors, padres, nurses etc in attendance all day - I really am a lucky girl to have so many people concerned for my welfare :yes: I'm off for a snooze now :sleep:
 
WooHoo @Meggzie .....Now THAT'S what I call a "wound" :loll:Ripper Zipper indeed, and no "you LITTLE ripper" about it :wink: I must say your bruising/swelling is pretty good "considering". It looks like it'll make a nice neat scar too - albeit the length of a footy field:rotfl:

It's great that you're all set to go home, and over the long weekend isn't a bad time to settle in either. We have a BBQ and Pizza breakfast for Australia Day every year (HAD to get a pizza oven, use it about six times a year, lol) you're welcome to come... though you may still be standing in the Xray machine at the airport by then, even if you leave now, with all that hardware :snork:

It's also great that you've had a "full" day, beats "boring". Be good (I know, you're craving the opposite :snork:)

Donna :flwrysmile:
 
Now that's a commanding scar. There will be no messin' with you!!! But, I must say it is neat and straight and looks wonderful. I know you're thrilled to be making steps forward.
 
hi @Meggzie :wowspring:I'm impressed both on the size side and the neatness. A few extra days in hospital using the hydro pool is a great option then home for 'Strylia Day - you beaut!!!

Thanks for the shower head research - what sort of tap are you going to use - traditional H+C or a mixer... if you have a choice go the mixer - so much easier to find the position you like to get the exact right temp water.

Glad to hear you have a ton of books... I love reading in bed it is part of my going to sleep ritual. My kobo is loaded up with page turners for my month of hospital (1 week) and rehab (3 weeks). That with the computer, the physio and the rest of it should keep me busy.

Keep well - cheers Maggie x
 
That's one helluva scar!! But it looks like it's healing well....sounds like you need a bigger room with all those visitors...hope you enjoy the water therapy x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jena, just finished catching up on your new recovery thread. What heartbreaking news on top of heartbreaking news on top of . . . . ! No wonder you are on an emotional roller coaster! Except that you already seem to be such a strong person already . . . . I am just left speechless, a wordless writer.

My sympathies for Johnnie . . . a Arabian stallion named Delegate came with our property when we bought it. He was an absolute dream. Ran like the wind, such a smooth ride, and, as we were novices when we bought this farm, he taught us all to ride. He had that magical ability to be a challenge for our teen age boys and gentle enough to take our 2 year old around the paddock. Every morning, when we left him out of the barn, he would rear up several times to reach the sun and show he was the stallion of the farm. Just gorgeous. Until he coliced. He got so bad, so fast, and his vet finally pushed helping him over the bridge. It was so devastating. One of our horses now, Thunder, has gotten quite arthritic. Started for he and I together. We've had him since he was about 18 months old, and he's now approaching 20. My son rides him, but its so hard to see Thunder struggle the first 20 minutes or so in the morning and on rides. We did find a new med for him, and it has made him feel better. I suppose since he's been a bit ornerier in the last couple of weeks! He does still struggle over the muck and frozen ground now. He gets that "snappish" attitude, too, at times!

Sounds like your new accommodations will allow a bit of a "hip-cation" for you? So glad its turned into a 4 star! You certainly deserve it to be able to make the best of the situation. Thinking about you . . . sending best wishes.
 
Wow, and that is some battle wound ---- what a badge of courage! But I have to say it'll keep me off of Storm til safer weather!
 
Hi All!! Suddenly, it's Friday...how did that happen?? The days are passing remarkably quickly. I've been very lucky to have loads of visitors each day and yesterday, my sister visited and busted me outta here for a couple of hours to go and have a haircut, manicure and pedicure ( I went with a racy red toe treatment - very out of character for me - but I kinda like it!! ).
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!


It was awesome to be out in the real world, but, oh my giddy aunt, I was tired by the time I got back to my room.:zzz:

The staples are all out now and I'll be in the hydro pool from Monday - cant wait to "Jena swing like a pendulum do" (although @craftdee I think "England" works better with the music!!) I'm on the count down to going home now, too - 7 more sleeps!! Im getting pretty impatient to get myself there, into my recliner with my feline lap blanket. I really, really miss the furkids, and need to get those kitty cuddles in. There's something about a purring bundle of love on your lap that is just good for the soul. :kittykiss:

Hope you're all having a super day!!
 
Well @Meggzie ... Swingin' like a pendulum, Rockni' the Racy Red toenails... glad they put that extra length stem in for you Jena :loll: What adventure next? Ah, I know... the recliner :yay:

Glad you had some "real world" time, but it does make you realize you've just had major surgery (again!) There was 18 weeks between my gallbladder operation and my THR, and while gallbladder removal is a relatively "simple" surgery I still felt that I'd only been completely healed for a few weeks, and glad that I had postponed the first date for the THR which was just over 5 weeks after the cholecystectomy.... I know your back to back ops wasn't your choice, but there's bound to be a residual effect, and I would say feeling "tired" is an understatement... even by your giddy aunt's reckoning :rotfl: So take it easy; not long now and you'll be with your kitties :yellowcat:

Donna :wave:
 
Great update Ms Glam! Sounds like the outing was just the ticket! The fact that you are getting bored and want to get home is a very good sign. Not long now!
 
More adventures yesterday and today. A good friend from work took me out for coffee at the local market yesterday. I also managed to do some shopping for fresh nectarines and peaches.....yummo! Again, I was only out for a couple of hours, but I was utterly exhausted by the time I got back to the ward!

Today, another friend is taking me out for lunch. Its so nice to be looking forward to non-hospital food! Hopefully I'll have enuf energy to pop into a shop or two too
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom