THR Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news you are getting out and about.....what great friends you have.
Loving those toe nails....so glad to hear you are doing well.....love Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was only out for a couple of hours, but I was utterly exhausted by the time I got back to the ward!
Energy drain - can't fight it but it will soon fade. Glad you are getting out and about!
 
Started hydro yesterday. The time in the pool was pure heaven! Loved getting the pressure off everything and swinging like a pendulum do.....but....

I have turned into a scaredy cat:shocked: and a whiney baby :boohoo:! I was terrified about slipping on wet floors once I was out of the pool - I've been less afraid about jumping out of an airplane to do a tandem skydive! And getting into the shower and out of my wet swimming costume - which just clung to me and itself and tied itself into knots and frustrated me beyond endurance:hairpulling::gaah:- could only be described as a ordeal. I ended up sitting in the shower chair sobbing like a baby. And of course the energy drain came and smacked me over the head too. And it was all magnified by my delusion that "I'm tougher than this....just toughen up, Princess"

On the positive side, my new boss came to visit me in the afternoon. Turns out she's a serious rider! It was so refreshing to have someone ask me "So, when will you be back on the horse?" instead of " So, you're getting out of horses?" She's also well connected in the dressage scene here and has said she'll keep an eye out for a suitable new horse for me. That's pretty awesome.

And so goes the roller coaster ride!

Today, it will be back into the pool, and a lazy day other than that. Friends are bringing Mexican takeout for dinner tonite - yummo!
 
Beautiful toes! Stopping by to see how you are doing. . . .

I can only imagine your energy drain . . . I'm still whinin and alternating between the "Toughen up Princess" and "Nope, I just can't." and my surgeries were six months apart and easy peasy compared to your adventures! You are entitled to indulging in plenty of time on that roller coaster! I just hope for more ups for you . . . and somehow enjoy the thrillin' parts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jena @Meggzie Glad you enjoyed your time swingin' ... sorry it was just one of the rides at the fair and you had to get back on that d@mned rollercoaster :good-bad: like Sheryl @Me2 I'm still alternating between the "Can't can try" (I hear my Mum saying it every time I write that!) and "I just can't" I know everyone's bored of hearing it, geez I'm bored myself :groan: but sometimes it just doesn't matter how tough we THINK we are, our frailties will out! Just got to learn to live with it (at least for the time being), and choose to expend our energy on the "win-ables" :yes: You've had a big slice of to-deal-with, you might just have to pace yourself and take it one bite at a time... which is easy said, I know... but allowing yourself the odd tanty is well within bounds.

I have been really (uncharacteristically) nervous of potential slips too... and I have managed to NOT fall off a (guessing 16 hands?) horse!! Of COURSE you're nervous, the effect of a fall, in your case, has been AWFUL. I am one of those people who just has to dive in to the pool, get wet all at once, non of that creeping in until your bibbly bits are wet for me:no-fin: (unlike hubby who creeps in going ooh, aah, s'cold... even when it's NOT!) but now I just CAN'T bring myself to dive in from the edge; I have been going in to the second step then sort of duck diving, managed to go in only to the top step on the weekend, then did my "dive"... which was the WORST belly flop I've ever done (actually HURT.. from, like 20cm, :censored:) AND had the added "benefit" of splashing five seperate panels of the glass fencing that I cleaned that morning, so had to clean again. Sometimes, you just think... why don't I just ice and elevate and take Mobic - oh that's right, I was swimming "for leisure" not rehab:snork:

I was thinking about your bathers, if you're allowed to wear boardies in the hydro pool (and if your tantrum was particularly heinous the Physio might think anything is worth a try:heehee:) why not get a pair of loose boardies and a bikini type top or a T Shirt and sports bra.... or you could have one of the THREE "miracle" bras as-seen-on-TV that I've got in a drawer somewhere - though you'd have to be prepared to wear it for the rest of your life as once you get it on you have NO energy left to remove it :loll: I've got two that have never been worn... you can even have one of those ones - actually you probably should have one of those; the used one has teeth marks in it - had to get it off SOMEHOW:rotfl: - On second thoughts, T shirt and/or bikini top:wink:... That might be easier to get off than your bathers. I bought new bathers for Christmas (my lovely "old" ones were no longer fit to be seen in public, apparently:shocked:) and they're hard to get on... dry, I KNEW getting them off WET would be an issue, sometimes you're right:loll: I've been puddling around the house until they dry off - it's actually less effort to mop my entire floor than it is to get them off - but they look nice, apparently:tada:

So glad your new boss is on your wavelength, and that she has equine connections :snork:, what's more being into dressage, appropriate equine connections:yes!:

Enjoy your Mexican... and your dinner :wink:

Donna :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sheryl @Me2 and Donna @craftdee! Yep, I have finally come to the realisation that I am not, in fact, Wonder Woman. Who knew???? :heehee: I suffer the same frailties that the rest of the human race suffers....but I won't go quietly and I don't hafta like it!:rotfl:

Donna, you were bang on, Spud is 16hh on the nose. Good job. I cracked up reading your description of your ever so graceful entry into the pool...it's a bit of a b^&&er it meant more cleaning, but if it's any consolation, I laughed out loud:rofsign:

I had two sessions in the pool yesterday, minus the outrageous tanties....and it turns out the bathers really aren't that tricky to get off, if I take my time and focus on the task at hand rather than being all "woe is me!" And the floor isn't that slippery, in fact it's pretty grippy...so now, I've got a grip and the pool time is no longer worthy of a melt down. Thanks Donna for the offer of the 'as seen on TV' garments - but I reckon they'd loosen my newfound grip:loll:

The Mexican was magnificent! And dinner was pretty special too! :loll:Jalapeño poppers (whole jalapeños stuffed with cream cheese, battered and deep fried) with a salsa and sour cream dipping sauce, and a sooper dooper burrito....heaven!

Right! I'm off to get changed and into the pool! Have an awesome day, everyone!:flwrysmile:
 
So glad you've found "positive" Jena @Meggzie ... she'll help you through it all better than Miss Needy Child - though Miss Needy is allowed to come out sometimes, have a hug and get back in her box :heehee: I know what you mean about concentrating on the task in hand; sometimes you're so caught up in the details you can't see the big picture - and to be fair, when we're a bit "delicate" the little things ARE big things. I have found myself sliding into despair, cor that's a bit strong, defeat MUCH more readily than I normally would; the feeling that it's a conundrum too far sort of thing:rotfl: I am NOT a can't person - I say I'm tenacious, hubby says I'm pig-headed... you choose:heehee: - but this recovery has tested my resolve for sure, it must be pretty common methinks. The good news (well hubby's not sure :snork:) is that pig... I mean tenacious me, is just about back :yahoo:

I'm glad you enjoyed your Mexican :wink: Sounds like a nice healthy dinner too :shocked:right up my alley:cheers:

Enjoy your time in the pool... I'm just going in too (but only because I've just done some work in the garden and it's HOT here - 35C at 10am - and now I'm HOT) really shouldn't go, too much "proper" work to do but my focus is somewhat eeer, where was I?? :cool:

Laters Babe:loveshwr:
 
Heaven! I'm home! I've been a bit slow with updates, sorry - but I've just been way too busy being pinned to the recliner by the fur kids to pick up the iPad! :heehee:

It is just wonderful to be here. Mum is being absolutely brilliant. She's letting me do what I can for myself, and then happily picks up the slack when I can't manage something or if I just run out of steam. It's fabulous that she understands how important it is to me that I be 'allowed' to do SOME things for myself - and I'm learning how to admit when I need help and to ask for it. I'm still not great at that, and it burns me that I have to - but I'm realistic enuf to know I just have to suck that up and roll with it.

I can happily report that the new shower is brilliant! @Maggie94 I didn't go for a mixer tap, but only because that would have meant replacing tiles where the existing hot and cold taps were. It was a simple retrofit that my housemate and his son did for me before I got back....no plumber required. It has two flow settings, satinjet, which is like a lovely rain shower, and massage which is just brilliant for stiff and sore muscles....I'm a fan!

My activity levels have jumped up now that I'm home, and I am just a tad achy down the front of the op leg. It's not enough to need to increase any pain meds, and I am sleeping like a dead thing at night. I tend to go to bed early -around 8pm, and wake at around 3am for a loo stop, then it's back to sleep til the critters insist on breakfast at around 6.30am. That's better sleep than I used to get before I had any of the surgeries :sleep:

Speaking of sleep....think it's time to snooze :yawn: Catch you lovely people later!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
Great update, @Meggzie! It was worth waiting for. You're doing things right---so just keep up the good work and no horseback riding for the next several months!

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@Meggzie you sound terrific - well done you!!! So glad the shower research paid off. I got bogged down and did not do anything about mine - but thanks for the info.

Your mum sounds amazing - enjoy the pampering while you can. Keep on getting better n better - Maggie x
 
So happy you are home and starting to move about on your own! Snuggles to your critters. I'll bet they are just as happy to have you home!
 
Where oh where is Jena now?

I decided to follow your advice and not let your "wee mishap" frighten me from taking my own chances ----- beeeyooooteeeeful ride yesterday -- great snow storm layed 4-6 inches of fresh snow cover over 4 inches of old snow --- kind of like riding with padded ground all around -- but, WOW, what a ride! Unbelievable the difference two good hips can make!

Hoping all is well and you are just enjoying Mum's company!
 
Whoopsie! Where did the time go??? I'm off to see the surgeon tomorrow for my 6 week checkup including xrays. I'm not anticipating any surprises, things are going very well here. It's pretty much certain I'll be approved for weight-bearing - and that's probably just as well. I've been doing it for over a week now anyway!! :shocked: My right (non-op) leg, hands and shoulders were killing me because they were doing all the work. So I had a little experiment with putting the left foot down, just a bit. Nothing hurt, in fact, the left leg seemed to respond really well to the "work" it was doing. I figured that if it hurt, I wouldn't do it - it didn't - so I did it!! Oh dear - I'm such a rebel! I'm seeing the PT again tomorrow also - she's keen to get me moving a bit more - and I am too. I will take it as easy as my body says I have to - and go as hard as it lets me - time to get this show on the road!

The military doctor who has supervised and approved my convalescence leave from work has decided that it's time to go back to work - so its back to work for me on Thursday - half days till 23 Jan then back to full time. I'm actually looking forward to it!

So now I have work, horse shopping and rehab to keep me busy - and that's great 'cos the whole sitting on my butt doing not much has worn pretty thin - normal life beckons!! :yes!:
 
Back to work? Back to normal life for ya? Hurray! I'm sure you are ready ... . . . normal seems so wonderful when life has been anything but. Hopefully you are back to a weight bearing walk by now . . . another week of "visiting" with half days and then full schedule next week?

Keep us posted on the adventures of Jena's rehab and shopping for a new horse.
 
So!.......where to begin??

OK, well, I saw the OS last Wednesday. He was very happy with how I was progressing. Xrays looked great. Of course, I complained about all of the restrictions and mentioned that I was a bit perplexed about still having thigh pain at 6 weeks. He said - ok then, full weight bearing is on the menu - go forth and do as much as you want...but remember the price for overdoing!!! He then took the time to explain in excruciating detail why my thigh was still a bit ouchy.

GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION ALERT.......

He advised that in order to get to the femur to do the fracture repair (with cable ties!!!) it was necessary to completely peel my quadriceps away (hence the length of the ripper zipper scar), move them over to the side to access the bone, then slap them back into place once they patched up the bone.

GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION OVER...

He did warn that because the stem was super long and un-cemented that I might continue to experience thigh pain - but that it wouldn't be muscular - it would be more like the sensation where the bone wants to flex (albeit minutely) but the dirty great steel rod down the centre of the bone wont let it!! Oh joy!! Fingers crossed that's not part of the fairground ride!

Needless to say, that shut my whiney little mouth and I'm happy to accept a bit of muscle soreness and a fair amount of having the world's weakest quads for now!

I am now walking with one stick away from home - and I'm stickless most of the time at home. I'm pretty happy with that to say the very least.

The OS and I discussed returning to riding. His attitude is that there's risk to everything - know the risk, accept the risk, be as careful as necessary, but live your life. In short, when I said I thought he'd insist on no riding for around 6 months he just shrugged and said, "6 weeks, 6 months or 6 years, there's risk - when you feel ready - just go riding" :loveshwr: I love this man!!!!!!

I've been sitting in my dressage saddle on a stand in my living room for a couple of weeks now, and I've progressed to being able to take all of my weight onto my left (newly repaired) leg, and swing my right leg over the saddle in a very close to normal action - and I can get off the same way. :wowspring:Of course - the saddle is a WHOLE lot closer to the ground on the stand than it would be on a horse!! There's a way to go before I'm able to get on top of a horse under my own steam- those pesky quads are just too week to lever my (getting progressively larger) butt up off the ground:heehee: I'm comfortable in the saddle and can stand in the stirrups and sit again in a reasonably good imitation of rising (posting) trot. This is all very positive!!!

Horse shopping is progressing and I'm off to a local dressage training day on Sunday to look at a VERY lovely horse. If he's half as good as he's described, and half as good as he looks in the video the owner sent me, he could well be the ONE!!

Here's where things get a little surreal....this morning I went to see my GP to get a refill on a couple of prescriptions. I know her reasonably well and I get along really well with her 'cos she rides too! We talked horses/riding and the fact that it is, infact, the reason we draw breath. We talked abut the horse I was looking at and that it was frustrating to not be able to ride just yet. She said, "When you're ready, the first time you sit on a horse, it is only allowed to be mine - I trust her to look after you 100%". (she has the quietest, sweetest, and most importantly, little little mare.) I thanked her very much for her kind offer - thinking it would be a fair way off before she'd let me anywhere near her horse. She's a doctor, right? It's too soon, right???

Anyhoo, I mentioned that I was going to the training day to see this horse I mentioned to her earlier. Blow me down with a feather - but she's doing the same training day and would be there with her mare!! Jokingly, I suggested that Sunday would be a great time for me to have a sit on the mare:rotfl: She AGREED!!!!!!!:unsure: I was convinced that she was joking so I thought I'd keep going with the silliness and suggested that if the ride on her mare felt ok, that I should ride the horse who could be the ONE....she said, "Sure, why not?? - I'll look at him too and if I think he's safe enough I can't see why not!!!!! We'll just make sure you get a leg-up - your left leg's not quite strong enough for you to push up on your own." Gobsmacked doesn't even come close - and the look on my face must have been priceless!!!

I'm sure that sitting on top of a horse will make me feel amazing - but I thought - no way am I strong enough to get up there in the first place! That said - I'm convinced that once on, everything would feel pretty good. Can't imagine why getting a leg-up hadn't occurred to me!!

Soooooo...this will sound crazy, I know - but I might just be very gently and carefully back in the saddle on Sunday - under doctor's direct supervision, no less!! Of course, I might just chicken out too - but watch this space!!! :yes!:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Tooooooooo Coooooooool @Meggzie You sound like you'll be ridin' ridin' ridin' this weekend for sure :happydance:

Your OS sounds exactly like mine, he realizes that you're not dumb... and you have first hand (or is that first leg :heehee:) experience of (cue echo-ey sound) "When Things Go Wrong". My OS was much the same - he said from the get go that his job was to give me back as much of the life I want as was humanly possible... not the life he or anyone else wanted for me, or thought "appropriate", but MY life. He also said that I was to think about nothing BUT my hip for twelve weeks ... then never think about it again, cool dude! This is in contrast to the previous OS who used "never" a lot when describing my post op life; it made me think it was only half worth doing as there was plenty of "never" in my life already due to the limitations OA had wrought upon me. Of course "my" surgeon trusted me to take things into consideration and not carelessly fling away all his hard work, and I'm sure your OS knows that you're going to do that so I can see that he's happy for you to do some of the decision making - I'm also sure seeing you riding=happy will make him happy :yes!:

It's excellent that you'll have your GP on hand, if nothing else it will mean that she knows what you're talking about when you describe "issues" that you may have, it's nice to be able to "relate" to your GP on a more personal level anyway. I LOVE mine, she had a THR last year at age 52, and was one of the principal "enablers" in my surgery. She's such a realist too, not much "ideal world" thinking for HER... she's sees it how it is and is willing to try anything to resolve a problem, even if it's a bit "off the wall" - the medical profession needs more people like this I think :cool:

Enjoy your ride, keep building up your quads and you'll be 100% in no time. Your story of the actual surgery brought to mind my Mum's conversation after she had her cervical spine fused (she had her neck broken in 1980) on the first day post op she asked her surgeon why her throat was so sore, (interestingly her neck hardly bothered her though her hip where they harvested the bone for the fusion was problematic for years!) he was a take no prisoners type of guy (Sir George Bedbrook was his name, I was 22 at the time and found him VERY scary :rotfl:) and he said "well, we've cut your throat, taken your voice box out pinned it to your collar bone with a big peg, sawed and hammered and welded your spine together.. thrown your voice box back in and stitched it all together, I don't know much about voice boxes ... but what do you expect?" :shocked: Okay, got it! :cool:

Hope you get to meet your next horse this weekend too :horseriding:

Donna :SUNsmile:
 
Wow, Jenna been away for awhile and so sorry to hear about your setback. I mount my horse from a picnic table, as does everyone else I ride with. Guess we are old farts-most of us in our 60's. I also use the back of my truck; I haven't mounted from the ground in 20 years! This might get you on your horse faster. I'm almost 7 months out, but would still be nervous if I had to mount from the ground using my left leg.
 
@concal Great to hear from you! Yep, I havent gotten on from the ground in years either - I usually use a milk crate or some other mounting block - but these days, those aren't high enough. In the future, I'm thinking the wheel arch of my horse float, or the back of my truck are looking like pretty good options!! :yes:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom