THR Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I guess the ladder comment doers makes me a bit of a hypocrite, huh @craftdee ? In my defence I wasn't taking silly risks and had been cleared by the OS to ride. It was just one of 'those' things. However, Spud has had a few of 'those' moments which have deposited me on the ground, and I've decided that he needs to find a new rider who isn't going to shatter if things go wrong. He has a little switch in his head and its impossible to predict when it will flick to 'on' . It makes me sad to do this, but I have to look after these hips as best as I can. I have friends who are already on the lookout for a new home for the lad.

I've also decided that I should probably give the jumping caper away...too much extra risk, also. I am most certainly not throwing in the towel just yet, though! The same friends that are helping me to move Spud on are also keeping an eagle eye out for a dressage horse for me with a les fizzy temperament. In fact there might even be something suitable available now...not that I'll be riding for a good few months. Who thought id ever become a dressage queen?

So, onto the recovery front....I have FINALLY gotten things moving after 6 days! Whoa, Nelly! Talk about making your eyes water! I feel at least 3kg lighter now! Blood transfusions are amazing! I feel like a different person! I went from having to be wheeled to the bathroom on a commode chair, to getting there on my own on elbow crutches overnight. The nurse said it was like nursing two different people. I'm pretty stoked with victory number one. My first shower ended with four nurses having to manhandle my almost unconscious, wet and naked body back into my bed, 2 days ago. I can't wait to get in there again, get clean, and get out of this damn open back gown. Wanna put my jammies on again! This will be the highlight of my day today! It's the little things!

Thank you to you all for your messages of support, they mean the world to me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and what a highlight! I used crutches and got myself to the bathroom, the nurse got me settled in the chair and I had the best shower on record. Clean hair, clean body,, clean teeth, wearing a nightie with a back . And through all that I didn't pass out! I'm a properly happy girl!

Within obvious limits, I feel great!

Happy New Year from Downunder!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    image.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 231
Great pic @Meggzie .. you look happy.... and CLEAN:rotfl: It's the best feeling; I worked with my hubby for a few years when we started our business (swimming pool installations then, excavations now), after a day working in the heat and the dirt (not to mention the beeping flies!) those first drops of water in the shower were like Manna from Heaven:SUNsmile: Nothing like wearing a hospital gown for a while to make you appreciate something simple like a nightie either, lol. Glad you got things "moving" too, there's something about constipation that brings an extra dose of misery, again the simple things can give us the greatest joy :heehee: It's good that you're getting around on crutches, it probably makes the "non weight bearing" instruction seem a little more doable.

It's sort of sad that you and Spud are going to part company, but it is good that you're being sensible (oh dear, that sounds condescending - NOT what I mean... I mean it in it's truest sense; that you are being logical) and it's the fairest thing for Spud too - he needs a rider that isn't nervous with him as you no doubt would be from now on. Dressage is a good option, you said you enjoyed the coaching session you had before Christmas... now there was no need to get yourself a spectacular fracture to make the decision :flabber: but at least it was on the radar prior to this accident, so it's only a small change of emphasis not a radical change of direction with your riding. Hope you find a lovely new equine friend really soon... even though you won't be riding for a while.

How long are you in hospital for this time?... or are they going to keep you there indefinitely so you don't go undoing their good work:rofsign: Hopefully you'll be home soon.

Keep smiling, and feeling great... within your obvious limits :snork:

Donna xx
 
@Meggzie , so sorry you are having to part company with Spud. But I totally agree, it's not good for him to have a rider who needs to wear a bubble wrap suit! :heehee: I'm sure you and your friends will find him a good home. Then you can find a place in your heart for another friend.

Sounds like you are doing great! Long may in continue.
 
Hi all!

Wow Donna, excavation is seriously hard work, and in summer? You're tougher than me! And yep, there's nothing more amazing than that first spray of water....cue the heavenly choir!

Yep, I'm pretty bummed that Spud and I will have a parting of the ways, but you're right Donna and Jaycey , it's the 'sensible' thing to do. No condescension noted, you were just plain right As an eventer, dressage was always part of the deal - but only something I tolerated at best. There are two reasons for that - firstly, before hip replacements it hurt like hell, and secondly because jumping is SUCH good fun! I discovered just before Xmas that dressage doesn't hurt any more and when we get it right, the feeling of oneness with the horse is almost overwhelming! I could never achieve that pre-THR. So, there's not going to be a sharp change of direction for me, just a narrowing of my focus. So it's another new beginning ahead, I think I can safely say that life's not boring!

I think that now I'm more independently mobile - able to get to and from the bathroom unassisted and mobilising well on crutches, the hospital will want to see the back of me sooner than later. As I'm not weightbearing, I'll need more help at home than Mum at 74 with a dodgy shoulder will be able to give in the early days ( there's no way she'd be able to hold me up if I slip in the shower, for instance). Instead, on departure from here, I'll head over to the local military hospital ward - possibly for a couple of weeks til I'm steadier and generally more capable. It won't be home, but it will be another one of those 'sensible' options
 
I am just getting all caught up on your recovery @Meggzie.

Sad about spud! But understand the much needed sensible approach.

Glad you are doing well. You are moving in the right direction. What a trial you have been through. You will make the best of the situation as always.

Love the photos of the hip and clean you.

Happy you are healing.

All my best - Kristina
 
I'll need more help at home than Mum at 74 with a dodgy shoulder will be able to give in the early days ( there's no way she'd be able to hold me up if I slip in the shower, for instance).
Shower stool needed! And some good handles to grab just in case. Not sure if you had these for your original surgeries but since you are NWB they will come in handy. Wish I could ship you mine!
 
I was just surfin' around looking to see if I could find my craft making mojo, nup, but I found this image from a generous lady called Paulette instead and immediately thought of you... so I thought I'd share
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

Here's to your new beginnings, whether they start in your military hospital or your "real" home :cheers:
 
@craftdee Donna, thats a lovely image, and I appreciate you posting it here. Things are going along well enough here, but there's a lot of up and down...

@Jaycey For sure, a shower chair is on the list for when I get home. I didn't use one last time but it will be 100% needed this time. This time, it is the slip risk getting in and out that worries me most. It could well be, though, that grab rails are the point where my sensible self leaves town. I know they are a great idea, but intstalling them is so...permanent. Im not sure I'd like the constant reminder of this time bolted to my bathroom wall long term. Stoopid, right? :shrug:

Mum lives interstate and has a busy life of her own. I know she is absolutely willing to drop everything to come over here and help me and I could not be more grateful! But...I'm going to be NWB for at least 6 weeks (one down, five to go!) and IMHO that's too long to ask her to abandon her life and come over here. She would do it In a heartbeat, and happily - and I'd feel guilty for being a burden. I absolutely know she doesn't see it that way, but I'd feel bad anyway. So I guess that makes my motivation to stay in hospital a bit selfish too....

I'm really at ease with the decision to not go home immediately. A couple of weeks in the military hospital will mean I'm steadier and stronger when I do get home and need her help. I will also have had the extra time to just figure out how to do stuff with tougher restrictions than for the THRs. I have to admit to being a nasty, snappish, witch when I'm frustrated, and my darling Mum so does not deserve to wear that from me either! I will have everything, including physio right at my fingertips. There's a psych department that could come in handy too....the emotional roller coaster this time round is a doozy and I think the suddenness of this has knocked me a bit sideways. Some help to get my head straight won't hurt either. Just learning strategies to avoid being a nasty, snappish witch would be a big bonus, especially for Mum when she does come over :heehee:

Have I mentioned how much I appreciate all you beautiful Bonesmarties? Well, I do! And thank you for being here to listen to me try to figure things out and justify my decisions to myself. Your compassion and knowledge help me get thru the day with more smiles than tears on average!:console2:
 
We are with you every step of the way Jena, @Meggzie - it is only normal to feel like you are on an emotional roller coaster, a lot has happened in your life in such a short space of time. But, your positive attitude will win out and you will get through this phase.

I like your logic for staying on at the military hospital. As you say you do have the appropriate modalities of care there. It will help you to be physically stronger for when your Mum finally comes to visit. I am sure she also wants to be with her girl x

p.s. I am sorry however, I had to remove your image as unfortunately it breaches copyright. :)
 
It could well be, though, that grab rails are the point where my sensible self leaves town. I know they are a great idea, but intstalling them is so...permanent. Im not sure I'd like the constant reminder of this time bolted to my bathroom wall long term.
I bought one of these and used it for both THRs
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!


You need to buy the expensive one as cheap ones do not remain suctioned to the wall. Try a shop that specialises in tools for the disabled. At one point in my recent recovery I had to remove this device every day. And it never failed me. I did test it every day to ensure it was secure. Follow the directions for installation. I too did not want a reminder of my lack of mobility once recovery was done and dusted!
 
Oh! @Jaycey I didn't know there were suction versions.....I thought they had to be bolted to the wall. Thank you :thankyou:, I will start my research on availability right now!!!

@Poppet thankyou also for your support....and for keeping me out of jail for copyright infringement :thumb:
 
Jena, the place to go to find the grab bars are 'Mobility Matters' - they have stores all around the country and a web site :)
 
@Meggzie Jena, so happy to hear you are progressing with your awesome positive attitude. I can't imagine all you are going through.

I had to giggle at the snappy comment when frustrated. I get the same way and feel bad for my loved ones I snap at. No one ever deserves it. And I so try to catch myself.

I am glad Jaycey told you about the suction bars. When I rented a wheelchair to go to my sons football game, I went to a medical supply store. I was AMAZED at all the tools available. Check out the site Poppet shared. They have things I never thought existed.

You are on your way. I am here to her you on because you helped me so much when I was healing.

All my best,
Kristina
 
Thanks @Poppet - ive contacted Mobility Matters, ordered my grab rail and my sister will be picking it up in the next couple days...this is good!:yes: Thanks again @Jaycey for telling me about them!

@xtina16405 Kristina, the snappy part of me is the part that I am least proud of. I too try to rein it in, but the monster gets out, and I can't seem to lock it away before I hurt someone's feelings. I really need to work on this!

So, I moved to the military hospital yesterday, and because of the time of year, there are only three patients. With 3 nurses to care for us...now that's a nurse to patient ratio! By comparison to the public hospital, this place is so light and airy! The view is much nicer....the on base golf course is very pretty! The is no tv in the ward, but there is a patient's lounge with the worlds biggest tv - and me the only patient well enough to use it:yes!: They've set up a hip chair there and a trolley table, I can see there'll be many hours spent here. And to have the cricket test on tv is good for me...I'm a bit of a cricket tragic, and with test cricket, it's ok to doze - if something exciting happens, the commentator's excited voices will wake me up to see the replay! For those of you not familiar with cricket...a test match lasts for 5 days, with play from 10am to 6pm...today is day 2 :)

It turns out that the " presidential suite" ( the only single bed room in the place) became available this morning. The nurse asked if it would be alright if they moved my stuff from the 4 bed room I was in to the presidential suite. I really agonised over the decision! :whistle:

My usual PT popped in to see me this morning and will take on my rehab again. She wasn't exactly pleased to see me, but I was happy to see a friendly, understanding face. She's also into horses, so that's a good thing to have in common - she understands the special mental disorders we horsey types suffer from!:rotfl:As soon as the wound (which is now twice the length it was before) is healed, I'll be able to use the hydrotherapy pool located about 30 metres from my bed.

It might not be home, but I'm convinced that this is exactly where I need to be right now. I think the positive me is back:egypdance:
 
So pleased to read you are feeling more upbeat Jena.

The military hospital sounds five star to me... enjoy!
 
The single bed room is very nice and I am very lucky to have the fabulous level of care that I am getting.

Today has been a real roller coaster. I'm feeling generally well, but today I have been so clumsy, disorganised and generally stoopid. It seemed like every 5 minutes I was stranded somewhere, having dropped my crutches with no reacher in sight. Or everything I touch would just wind up on the floor. I'm dehydrated from the sheer volume of tears of frustration I have shed today.

On the plus side, I have had some beautiful visits today. I am so blessed with the people in my life who care about me. And of course that is making me cry too! Have I ever mentioned that I'm not a crier?

The best part of my day was slightly bizarre. I have a very good friend who has just bought the most beautiful horse truck. It's masive! It is a combination of motor home and horse truck with hydraulic push out living sections and room to carry 3 horses in the back. The licence to drive it is one step down from a semi trailer truck licence (Heavy Rigid licence needed - for those who know what that means). Anyway, today was my friend's first big trip on her own in the truck with all three horses on board through the outskirts of Sydney, and she was incredibly nervous. Even though she's been to the place she was going before, she worried about missing a turn and getting lost or stuck in the monster truck.

She rang me and asked me to arc up the Google maps app on my iPad, and be her virtual GPS service. She had her hands free system set up in the truck so I spent about an hour and a half on a virtual truck ride, talking to her and helping to keep her anxiety down by prepping her for the turns to come. She'd name the side streets and other features she was passing so I would know exactly where she was and I could talk her through what what she'd see up ahead and how far to the next turn. She made it to her destination with no dramas and was very grateful for the help. Given how useless I've felt throughout the day, it was a real lift to feel like I was good for something. To be honest, I think helping her has helped me more than I helped her :loll:

Here's hoping I can stop throwing my mobility aids on the floor and stranding myself tomorrow
 
@Meggzie You've put it in a very carefully worded 'nutshell'. That's why the recovery is so hard...it takes away our independence, our control freak qualities & our caring nature. We are so used to running around ...doing, helping, caring & it hurts like hell not to.
So glad you were able to help your friend & feel useful too.....my sis had her op soon after mine & it was great to go see her & help her out so I didn't feel so disabled by it all. It's a lesson in patience for sure....it helped me empathise more with those that are completely disabled...so brave they are.
The level of care sounds great & you deserve it too after all you have admirably coped with....Funny, I found my inner cry baby too....it helped sometimes to have a blub & then get on with it...you have an inner strength that shines through...you can do this!!!
Take care..,Chrissie xxx






Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can feel the positivity oozing out of my 'puter screen:yahoo: @Meggzie Seriously, you sound like you're in a "good place" mentally as well as physically. Of course there will still be days of frustration and all the rest of it, but having a comfortable (physically) place to recover in is such a boon. My (single) room in hospital was excellent, it is a fairly new (Public) hospital in great grounds and what is now the Orthopaedics ward was, until a few months ago the private wing of the Health Campus, so it's well appointed.

My son had a major accident last year, ooh, strike that ... accident in 2013 (!), he had a crush injury to his foot and was taken to the nearest Emergency Department, which was in Fremantle, our Port City. EXCELLENT Ortho facilities/staff as they deal with industrial accidents on a regular basis, so that was good; as he has top Private Cover we thought he'd be transferred to a Private hospital, or at worst be admitted to a Public Hospital closer to home (Fremantle is an hour plus away, his twins were ten weeks old, very small and still being breastfed when he had the accident, nightmare!) as a Private Patient... but NO:no-fin: admitted to Freo, stay in Freo. The problem is it is very run down because a new hospital has been built reasonably nearby and all the resources have been going there instead of maintaining Freo, which will all but close later this year

It was AWFUL, it felt dirty, dingy, the food was BAD, the view industrial! and the staff were suitably unimpressed at working there, there were so few amenities; it must be the only hospital left in Australia that still charges for TV (his Health Fund did cover that, whoopsie do!) we even had to take our own bicycle pump in to pump up the tyres on his wheelchair:flabber: He was in there for four weeks, then had his great toe and its neighbour amputated anyway due to necrosis... they sent him home two DAYS after that, he had no skin graft just a dressing, you wouldn't believe if you saw the pictures (I have them, but won't post them anywhere, pretty gruesome!:eeeuw:) how quickly the skin starts growing over the wound. He was non weight bearing for 11 weeks, had to have his foot elevated above his heart (on a "James Elevator" pillow) 23 hours a day for that 11 weeks and was off work for 17 weeks - he's self employed so it wasn't for the compo either:heehee: He got so depressed being in that hospital, I've only ever been in Joondalup which is where I had my THR or Private and they were such good environments, I didn't realize the difference that accommodation can make, so I'm glad you've got the presidential suite:egypdance:

It's interesting that you said the snappy part of you is the part you like the least; I'm much the same. There's a few flaws I'm embarrassed about, that being one, the other "biggie" is a variation of it, in that I let some people bring out the worst in me... I dislike THEM for 'making' me act like a cow to them, it is only a few people that have that effect... just as well because it really is a character flaw I find distressing in myself:hissy:

Hope your wound heals in record time, there's a couple of pool noodles with your name on 'em waiting just 30 metres away (Jena swings like a pendulum do.... don't know if you remember the song, it wasn't Jena though:rotfl:)

Thinking of ya :SUNsmile:
Donna
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom