THR Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, yes, doing too much in the name of our equine friends! After chasing mine down on Friday,
my body is letting me know in no uncertain terms that I am a Bone-dummy

You, my friend, learn a little quicker, I had too much life to do yesterday, took some Tylenol and went to a wedding, too! Rest today!

So happy Spud and you are doing well --- recovery and rest time for both of you! Aren't recliners just wonderful!
 
@xtina16405 It really is a balancing act to find the right mix of activity and rest - looks like you're working it out just great!

@Me2 I went out to check on Spud yesterday - his bandages needed a change and rather than waiting for my friend to turn up, and seeing as Spud was in a super sleepy, quiet mood - I decided to do the job myself. It was just brilliant to have that quiet time alone with the big fella. We had lots of cuddles and scratches - and I had an opportunity to have a really good close up look at the wound on his leg. It's healing beautifully, but it's a really good thing that we aren't into showing - there's gonna be one heck of an ugly scar - I'm fairly sure most of the skin flap that got peeled back by the fence when he ran through it isn't going to re-attach. Although his face is pretty enough and his conformation is super - with that scar we aint ever going hacking!! - cant say I mind - I'm not a girly girl, so the thought of doing all that 'hair and makeup' for what is essentially a beauty pageant for horses leaves me a little cold... cross country jumping on the other hand....now we're talking!! :yes!:

My couple of early slow days caused by doing too much notwithstanding - I am in complete awe of how well my recovery is going this time around. I've been trying to figure out what is different this time - and I have to say that it has to be a combination of the fact that my left hip wasnt in as bad shape as the right but more importantly, knowing what to expect has helped me to plan strategies to cope with the little things that frustrated the heck outta me the first time round.

In my first couple of days in hospital the first time, I lost count of the number of times I was brought to tears of frustration and pain because of where they had placed the needles for my drips (in the back of my hands). Every time I moved my hand, the drip tube would catch on things and hurt, or if I needed to use my hand to push myself up into a better position in bed it would dig in and hurt like blazes! This time I mentioned that to the anaesthetist - so she put the cannulas in the middle of the inside of my forearms - problem solved - no issues!

The other big thing was having an electrical outlet board with a cord long enough that I could have my phone, iPad etc all plugged in, fully charged and within easy reach. It might have been irrational - but in those first couple days I just melted down every time it was too difficult to get to them and had to be "reduced" to asking for help - maybe I need to seek help for my device addiction - and my terminal independence??? :wink:

Anyway - without those annoyances (and seeing them written down, I'm almost ashamed at how petty they seem), I managed to stay on a much more even keel emotionally in the early days, which I'm sure is helping me to have a way more positive attitude - which in turn is manifesting in a quicker and happier recovery. I've avoided stepping onto the emotional roller coaster so far.... That, and knowing what an awesome outcome I have already had with the first hip - knowledge surely is power! And in saying that - I also didn't find Bonesmart until 5 weeks into my first recovery. Things maybe could have been this good the first time round if I had found you all pre-op the first time!!

We live and learn, I guess!! And I'm off to the recliner with ice for my mid-morning snooze!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
@Meggzie, so good to know that BoneSmart helped with your first hip replacement and that that experience and BoneSmart have made this second recovery the best! Keep up the good work! I know with two great pain free man made hips there's going to be no stopping you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Happy your Spud is doing well and that you got to spend some time with him. I am always amazed at how well their wounds heal --like ours. I am definitely not show horse person. We have lovely park across the road that has hours of trails, some quite lovely to even canter (hopefully, I will be able to again). My son has found a group that does some completion trail events that he's having fun with. I just find it so awesome to be in the parts of the woods that can only be gotten to on horseback. Huge old forest, the deer and other critters don't seem to notice people on horseback. Ah just another few weeks -- I'm hoping the OS and my body okays a ride at the end of November when I have a few days off for our thanksgiving.

Funny that you mention the IV in back of hand - for first hip, I had them there and that was actually very most painful and frustrating. I had used my hand to push myself up and almost passed out from pain of poking IV. I too asked and was accommodated with lines on side of forearm this time. So much better.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 Yep - I'm a bit mystified why they insist on putting the IV in the hand - and yet they're quite happy to find another - more convenient and less annoying - spot if asked. Maybe @Josephine can shed some light? I do know that the pathology peeps were a bit annoyed with the placement of an IV in each forearm on the first day and had to take my day one bloods from a vein in my foot - possibly not my most comfortable moment - but nowhere near as annoying as those darn cannulas digging in to the back of my hand every time I moved!!!

And oh gosh - woodland trails right on your doorstep??? Oh what unimaginable bliss! I have to trailer the horse to go out for safe trail riding - Spud isnt so reliable on the sides of roads as he can get a bit upset and flighty - it's something that we're working on and he's improving as he learns to trust me more! I'm not sure what completion trail rides are? Is it an endurance event? I'd love to learn more....

My recovery is continuing to amaze me - I am a touch sore today - but there are no prizes for guessing why... I drove myself an hour to a medical appointment, then shopping for horse first aid supplies to re-stock my depleted kit, then driving half an hour to my friend's place where I got to cuddle with her 3 magnificent dressage/eventing horses - then another nearly hour drive home. And if that wasn't enough, I drove out to see Spud in the late afternoon, changed the dressing on his wound and spent about an hour just hanging out with him. Well, I hung out, and he was trotting and cantering around with his tail in the air - all arched neck, elevated action and snorting like a stallion - 'cos his best mate had to go off to the vet for a routine checkover - It was just so good to see him moving so freely and evenly (of course when they're adrenalised like that, all manner of hurts are masked - but WOW did he look good, bandaged leg and all!) He settled right down when his buddy came back :SUNsmile:

I'm pretty sure I wont be ready for a Thanksgiving ride - and Spud probably wont be quite ready either (although after yesterday's performance, who knows about him!!) - but I sure hope your body lets you get that ride in Sheryl, before winter hits home.:flwrysmile:
 
Great day for you! Sounds like you accomplished much - but are paying. Horses are so attached to their social group. My three are pretty tight "social" group, too. My husband's Big Guy gets left behind often as he's a bit challenging to ride and boy does he hoot and canter around -- looks just magnificent but feel sad knowing he's not a happy horse. I think my adventures on Friday took me until this morning to pay for . . . but the sudden wow, I feel like a human again is great -- and the hip is gliding with no achy feelings just beautifully today - or it was this morning. And this evening, I managed to stay awake all the way to 8:30 -- woohoo! I'm up now for bathroom break but wondered in to turn computer off and just had to sit down for just a moment, or two . . .

We are very, very lucky of trails in our park -- it is actually a park donated forever ago with a caveat that horses are the priority. We do have to share the trails with mountain bike people but they are usually courteous and respectful of the horses moving aside as we come thru. For the longest time, my son's quarterhorse was terrified of bikes. One day, one of his friends forgot his bike to close to the paddock, and Thunder decided to "fight" it. He won (without injury) and has accepted them since. Though my son has also worked very hard to "bombproof" him in all other aspects. I'll check with him about the trail riding competitions. Most of them are just for fun, $50 fee, with a set trail marked through a farm which includes several jumps, water crossings, and other obstacles one might cross on a real trail. There is a "safe" minimum time to complete so that if you come in less time you are disqualified, but is otherwise a timed event to "win" a purse of half of what they bring in ($300-$1000).

I not only have a park across the road but I can see most of our pasture and the hill up to the barn and paddock from my recliner in my bedroom -- fence for hill is only about 75 meters away. I can see our guys gallop up the hill during the day from my kitchen window. So nice.

Two of my goals/bribes/rewards when setting this surgery was recovery through the fall - but still, one, being able to trick or treat through our neighborhood with my grandsons for Halloween and, two, being able to ride by Thanksgiving. I missed trick or treating -- with my horse round up adventures last Friday and Halloween party for preschoolers and icy cold rainy night, I decided the recliner was much more inviting. I was okay. So, I know my goal of a Thanksgiving ride is ambitious, but its a goal. But, I'm hoping I turned that corner today and now am feeling just a tad more hopeful. If not, I have a good long break over Christmas. I've missed our neighborhood ride for several years (we walk the horses through McMansion neighborhood across the street with sleigh bells on).
 
In my first couple of days in hospital the first time, I lost count of the number of times I was brought to tears of frustration and pain because of where they had placed the needles for my drips (in the back of my hands). Every time I moved my hand, the drip tube would catch on things and hurt, or if I needed to use my hand to push myself up into a better position in bed it would dig in and hurt like blazes! This time I mentioned that to the anaesthetist - so she put the cannulas in the middle of the inside of my forearms - problem solved - no issues!
Actually placing Venflons in the back of the hand is pretty normal for most anaesthetic use. But it depends where on the hand they do it. It's governed of course, by where your good veins are so the choice might be somewhat limited.

Worst points are in the middle so the puncture is close to the knuckles or lower down close to the wrist. I find I almost always get my Venflons near the knuckle where they certainly are a really bad nuisance and catch on everything and anything, so I can fully sympathise. However, they can be secured/supported by a bandage around the hand but that can make washing and such very awkward as well.

Also, placing Venflons in the front of the elbow can also be problematic because they are the type that most frequently kink, block and even slip out of the vein. But the patients prefer that site!
maybe I need to seek help for my device addiction - and my terminal independence???
Oh then I'll be there with you! I have a serious device addition too! Now partially meliorated by my having an electrician install about 14 new sockets around my home!
 
@Meggzie you sound soooo good!! All the normal and comforting things you are doing! That sleigh bell Christmas walk sounds like a real treat, I'd love to see it. Around here they light up their boats and have a grand illumination down the river-- no horses :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
I think my IVs were same place as yours -- along side of forearm -- so much more comfortable than hand or inside of elbow -- can't imagine why they would do anywhere else for ones that need to stay in for those couple of days.

Hoping all is well!
 
Thanks @Josephine I guess I'm lucky that I have pretty good veins and they could put them in where I asked. It was much more comfy with them in the mid-forearm rather than in the hand or elbow.

Everything is going along very well here - Spud and I are continuing to recover well, and the weather is heating up now - its starting to feel a lot like summer here. @zauberflöte I would love to see the sleigh bell walk too - cant imagine how pretty it must be! Christmas time here is in the middle of summer, and even in winter we don't get a whole lot of snow down under! Those boats sound kinda pretty too!

I have a chiropractor coming out to give Spud a good looking over in the aftermath of his accident - I'm sure he's in need of a bit of body work. I wouldn't mind a visit to the chiro or massage therapist either - but, typically for horse owners, we spend our money on making sure that our equine buddies are in the best shape they can be:horseriding: and often there's not enuf left over for ourselves!! Crazy, right?:flabber:

@Me2 the completion trail rides sound like great fun - some of our adult riding clubs do similar things called navigation rides. They are like a cross between orienteering and a trivia/cryptic quiz on horseback. The route is set and riders in pairs have to answer questions about things they see along the route, or trivia questions or sometimes cryptic clues. They also have an optimum time set and riders are penalised if they come in under time. They are usually around 2-3 hours duration, and before my shiny new hips, the nav rides I did finished with me in tears or walking along side my horse cos riding hurt too much - but those days are GONE and I'm looking forward to having fun out there again in the not too distant future!:yes!:
Hope you are all having a great day :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Spud got a nearly clean bill of health! The chiro did a couple of minor adjustments and he's as good as gold in his body...I'm vey happy about that! Now his leg wound just needs time to heal.

I also need to have a couple of quiet days...I've been fairly active for the last few days and feeling a bit achy now...rest, ice and elevation are high on my list of things to do!
 
Good for Spud! Remember to enjoy these days of pampering yourself!
 
Today marks 4 weeks since I became beautifully bilaterally bionic - and all things considered I cannot complain one little bit!

I am able to drive my manual transmission car - and have been for a week. I am amazed by this, I honestly thought it would be much longer before my left leg would be ready to operate the clutch.

I can put on shoes and socks without aids - this involves some pretty inelegant contortions - but hey, there's noone here but the kitties to see!

I am walking without a crutch/cane most of the time - even when I'm out with the horse. But I do use it at shopping centres! Small children scare me a whole lot more than 500kg horses!!! :rotfl: I also use a single crutch if I know I'm going to be walking any sort of distance - just in case I get too fatigued - the last thing I want to do is train myself to limp again.
I woke up this morning lying on my op side!! :yes!: This is mind boggling - it was something like 8 weeks before I could do that last time - both procedures used the posterior approach, but somehow this time the scar is less painful.

I was able to take myself over to a friend's place about a 40 min drive away for dinner on Saturday night. We all had a lovely time! I did get quite tired (no surprises there) and left "fairly" early. I didnt get to bed til nearly 11pm (WAY past my normal 8.30pm bedtime!), and slept right through to 5.30am. After getting up and feeding the cats and myself, then driving out to turn out the horse for the day, I was back at home by 7.30 - and asleep on the couch at about 7.31 :heehee: The phone woke me at just after midday. Oh yeah - hello energy drain:sleep:

Am I completely pain free and back to normal - heck no! That is still a loooong way off! I still get a fair degree of morning stiffness and I'm still taking pain medication. Panadol Osteo (650mg paracetamol) x 2 in the morning and at lunchtime, then a lovely little combo of 1 Panadol Osteo, 1 Panadeine Forte (500mg paracetamol and 30mg codeine phosphate) and one low dose, slow release oxycodone at bedtime. I also have about another week of taking a daily 15mg NSAID (Meloxicam) in the mornings. This little cocktail seems to be working a treat, and I dont think it will be very long before I can cut out the night time oxycodone - I'll give it another few days before I experiment with that.

Could I be happier? Probably not! Of course I'd like to be fully recovered and healed - but we hippies know that this is a long term deal. I've said it before - I'm amazed at how well this recovery is going and I'm 100% convinced it's because of the knowledge I have gained from Bonesmart. Knowing what to expect, and what is "normal" makes for a less anxious recovery. Knowledge IS power!! It has helped me no end in maintaining a strong, positive and motivated attitude toward every step of the process - and I truly believe that is the key to a good recovery.

For anyone out there on their first go-round, I can only recommend that you read, read, read the threads here on Bonesmart, learn from the experience of others so that you can be super well prepared before surgery, and have all of the tools and strategies in place to make your recovery as hassle free as you can make it. Believe that the outcome will be awesome and then do everything in your power to make it so - and sometimes that includes doing absolutely NOTHING! Rest, ice, elevation and meds by the clock are your best friends in the early days!

I'm heading out to turn out the horse for the day - and then it's back to the couch for my morning dose of doing nothing with my ice at my side! Have a brilliant healing day everyone!:flwrysmile:
 
Well, here I am at week 5 - and I'm still as happy as a pig in mud!! :yahoo:

In the last week I have managed to clip my own toenails!! That's HUGE!! Every day I feel better and stronger. I am no longer taking slow release oxycodone at night and I'm sleeping very comfortably - occasionally on my op side for periods of up to two hours.

I have a check up with my OS on Wednesday and I expect I'll be going back to work on half days next Monday.

Life is good! Hope you're all having a great day/night!
 
Oh, I am so jealous! You can clip your own toenails! I have been trying and trying and grrrrrrr! I just cannot reach yet. I am so determined to do it myself and to wait until I can --- I'm afraid to go to get done for risk of infections (nail places are totally unregulated in Pennsylvania and get much bad press). That is HUGE for us hippies!

Sleep is good -- especially on the side and life is just so good! You have yourself a great day/night too!
 
OMG! I am in total shock! Here's how my visit (at five weeks and two days since surgery) with the OS went today....

OS: ok, you look great, X-rays are super, so when do you start riding?

Me: <stunned pause> ummm I was thinking you'd be telling me that.......

OS: Oh, now would be fine.....

At this point I can't repeat what I said! Bear in mind I've been in the Army for 26 years, so there might have been the odd expletive before I had to get him to convince me he was serious!

My dear Spud, is young and silly and slightly injured still, so there's no riding him yet.....but my good friend and her fabulous, sensible, calm, big Percheron x warm blood 'pony' were 10 minutes away at a training day....so I sped down there, and as she was finishing a show jumping round, I said something like " get off!!!! My turn!" she knew I'd just been to see the surgeon/miracle worker, and couldn't get off fast enough!

She led the beautiful Magic over to a big log and held him while I got on. The dear big boy stood like a granite boulder while I fiddled and dithered, wondering if I was mad to even consider this! So I took a massive breath in, shut my eyes, and got on.....no pain! NONE! We just walked around for maybe 500 metres, with me alternating between grinning like a village idiot and crying like a baby!

I was not dressed for the occasion, and had to borrow my friend's helmet (4 sizes too big) but I couldn't have cared less. I RODE A RIDICULOUSLY BIG HORSE TODAY AND IT DIDNT HURT!!!!!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    image.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 252
  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    image.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 222
  • [Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
    image.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 228
OMG! And that's about as "swearing" as you get from a preschool teacher. I'm sitting here weeping for you! So so wonderful! I cannot wait to join you!


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Tell me again ..... You can really get on and sit with NO PAIN??? I am so hoping....


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
No pain...at all....NONE! He's a BIG pony, and has a massive walk, I could move with him like I have NEVER been able to on smaller horses before....I KNOW you'll be right there with me any day now!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom