THR Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading your delightful thread and am so happy for you and your progress! Love that you're being cared for properly until your Mum arrives. So cool.

These new hips are the greatest, eh??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Way to go Jena with the big guns... and that the military are looking after you.. xx
 
Well, it's another beautiful day in paradise - but I have to admit that I'm just a teeny tiny bit bored now! This hospital is fantastic, and I know I'm getting the best of care and should absolutely not complain - but honestly, I'd rather I was home in my own space. I almost feel like a fraud, sat up here in my hospital room, feeling really great and knowing that I would be coping just fine at home! I truly am grateful for the care that the military is making sure I get - even if it is just a bit of overkill:heehee:

I had another pretty good night last night, I've had breakfast, a shower, done some PT, iced and read some of my book. Today I haven't needed to call on the reinforcements for pain relief too much today, and I'm feeling more alert than I have since the op, which is probably why I'm feeling restless. Now I just have to be careful not to overdo it!

Hope you are all having a super day/night!
 
@Meggzie I know not being home "in your own space" is really hard and I can certainly understand you wanting to be there over the hospital. However, there are a lot of things at home you are not ready to do like cooking, laundry, taking garbage out and housework. Little things like getting things out of a low dresser drawer, and reaching for a new roll of toilet paper are near impossible in the 1st couple of weeks. It is very hard, when alone not to break restrictions.

Is there an outdoor space at the hospital you can go sit in to break up the days? If there is, grab a wheelchair and make a run for it! lol My husband and son would wheel me out a couple of times a day to sit in the sun and it was beyond lovely to get some fresh air. Every day passed is one closer to your mum getting there and getting home :)
 
@Meggzie glad you are feeling so on top of things! Does "having a good night" mean that they don't come in every hour to take vitals? ;)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
:heehee:@Carriemay60 I really do wish there was an outdoor space here, but alas, no. I am off to the military hospital tomorrow (Monday) and they do have a great courtyard there, so I will be able to enjoy that for a couple of days before I go home.

I have home pretty well set up for independent living when I get there. Essentials have been moved to higher shelves/drawers, the kittehs feed station is now up on a sideboard etc, and I have recruited the neighbour and her 18 yo son to help with things like laundry and garbage. Also with my first hip, I learned the golfer's lunge...with it you can reach items on the floor without breaking restrictions. Imagine the way a golfer bends down to put their ball on a tee....use the non-op leg in front, op leg behind, take weight on the front leg, lunge forward and reach down in front of your no-op (supporting) leg. Of course I only ever used that when the reacher wasn't handy ..or it the item was light, but too bulky for the reacher. Also, this assumes that you have a strong non-op leg, and I am extremely fortunate that this is the case for me. I've already used this technique in hospital when I dropped my reacher :)

@zauberflöte you are on the money...they usually leave me for at least 4 hours at a time:yes!:. It's 3am here now, but I woke up on my own, needed to go to the bathroom and because I'm not needing too much pain relief and sleeping a lot at other times, I am wide awake now - I should call them in to do obs:heehee: ! The last time the nurse came in was 10pm last night:egypdance:.
 
@Meggzie , I hear ya about the boredom! I am having problems with this big time! Slow and steady!

Golfer's reach is a life saver but you need to make sure you have something very sturdy to hold on to before you reach. If you have good upper body strength and a strong non op leg (like you say) it's a fast way of retrieving all those things you dropped. I would not recommend using this method frequently if you have lower back issues as it may aggravate them.
[Bonesmart.org] Meggzie is bilaterally bionic!
 
Perfect @Jaycey ...I wasn't quite awake enuf to find a good pic to illustrate! I tend to bend my front leg more, and keep the op leg down. But I also agree having a sturdy anchor is important!
 
Holy Moley! I just had the best visit with my OS! He's lifted all restrictions on 90 deg, crossing midline and side sleeping :wowspring:

I asked when I would be cleared to drive and he said as soon as you're off the narcotic pain meds....history tells me that will be some time next week:happydance:

But then, the bubble burst a little. I just heard from my Mum and she's not well. She has developed Shingles and won't be able to make the trip over. I'm not worried for myself, I know I will be fine, but I hope she can get well soon for her sake! It helps that my sister and her husband are doctors and have managed to use their contacts to get her into a great specialist on Monday morning. Hopefully they have caught it early enough so that it won't be too long and painful of a recovery for her.

Of course, thus means I'll have to bully the peeps at the military hospital to let me go home alone, but I think I can manage that:wink:
 
So sorry to hear your Mum has shingles Jena - very painful (I have had it several times) - hope she recovers quickly..

Good luck with convincing the military to let you home on your own - I am very familiar with their protocols, processes and procedures - but I am sure you will work it through with them xx
 
@Meggzie great news for you, and I am so very sorry about your mum. It is good to have doctors on the family-- she will have them hovering over her till she is all cleared up :) Do you have the shingles vaccine there? They are pushing it in my state...


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
To be honest @zauberflöte I don't know if we have a vaccination program for shingles. But, yes, it is comforting to know that my sister and her husband will be making sure that Mum gets the best care available :yes:

@Poppet after 26 years in uniform, I think I know how to get around a few of those processes and procedures :wink:
But also on my side is the fact that a number of the hospital staff, including the decision makers, remember me from last time and know that I have great support around me - even if they're not actually at my house 24/7. There are also so many Bonesmarties that I can point to as examples of how hip replacement recipients successfully recover at home on their own - I really think (hope) it wont be an issue....
 
I have no doubt at all Jena that you will be home as soon as you can - you recovery is classic text book xx
 
Sorry about your Mum @Meggzie...do hope they can halt the shingles in its tracks.....'The best laid plans Eh?' Co hope it doesn't stop you from getting home when you feel up to it...it sounds like you've got home all set up for your recovery.
That hospital of yours sounds just great & you are doing so well. Keep up the good work xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Very sorry to hear your mum is not well. I have also had it several times and it is very painful indeed and I hope she sees a quick recovery. Your home situation does sound well set up and I hope you can get there quickly!
 
Oh shingles is so horrible. It is the aches inside the body that are tough. Praying for your mum. Horrible disease. I hope you get to go home too. Nothing like being in your home. So glad you sleep well. I am amazed that I was so sleep deprived pre-surgery waking every 2 hours because of none on none pain and post surgery sleep well. Love sleep! So happy for your recovery.
 
Oh, Jena, I so hope you get to go home. With my temp up Day 2 & 3, they wanted to keep me just til Saturday (Day 4). Doc had said I could go home if under 100 so, of course, it started day at 102 then stayed at exactly 100 the rest of the day. I had them call doc at 5 p.m. to check to see if I really needed to stay another night. The OS and I had discussed in morning and he said incision looked fine, no evidence of UTI or other typical reason for elevated temperature and his guess was just body reacting to surgery, that it happens. Anyway, as wonderful as my hospital was, I know I was happy to get home. But, another night wouldn't have been bad either.

The golfer reach idea is something I somehow missed last recovery. I did some of it yesterday by chance and it does work quite nicely! I'm even using a reacher to help clean up toys this time -- the kids are starting to fight me for it -- hmmm, valid preschool skill - they may someday need hip replaced too! Actually, good for disability awareness.

Military for 26 years? Wow, impressive. How are your branches in Australia? My son surprised us by joined Marines in early 2013 and is first in family to join since my brother in early Vietnam and dad for WWII. I am so impressed and proud of the changes the military has made in my Nikolas. Actually, he had shingles flare during his senior year of high school. Ew, so painful. Best to your Mom, but disappointing for you to no have her TLC for recovery.

May you be home in good time to get some nuzzles. Time is such a funny thing at times like this. I am so determined to enjoy this time when I can give myself permission to do absolutely nothing.
 
@Meggzie , I spent most of my recovery from LTHR alone. It was really no problem. You won't be discharged until you can make it around on your own anyway. You might have a friend or neighbour stop by once a day for the first few days to see what you need or do some shopping for you. I waited until someone was in the house when I showered the first few days. Otherwise you should be just fine.
 
Thankyou to you all for your good wishes for my mum!

Oh my giddy aunt!!!! Yesterday was a MASSIVE day!! Brace yourselves - this is a long one!!!

I was discharged from my lovely provate hospital and taken to the military hospital by their patient transport vehicle - an ambulance!!! LOL I sat up front and was very comfortable.

I spoke to the nursing staff straight after I arrived and explained that I felt really well, and that unfortunately, Mum wouldn't be coming (I spoke to Mum yesterday and it seems she's doing better - that's such a relief!!).

Anyhow, I asked if there was any possibility of me just going straight home - fully expecting them to tell me no! The doc was the same one who looked after me for the first hip last year - and he was gobsmacked!! He was very happy with my progress for the first hip and he couldn't believe that this time, at Day 7, I was using only one crutch to get around and it was more for balance than support. (to be completely honest, even I am in awe of how well this hip is progressing!! I am several days ahead of where I was at this time for the first hip).

Anyway, the doc made sure I had all the mobility aids I needed at home and dispensed a week's worth of medication and released me to go home!!!!! :egypdance:

My fabulous sister came and picked me up, took me straight out to see my horse (and that's ANTOTHER story). After getting pony cuddles from my Spud we went home and had some lunch, then my sister popped down to the store to stock up my fridge for me. I'm pretty sure she was reluctant to leave me once I was all set - but I somehow convinced her that she should go home to her family, and that I'd be fine. And I was! :)

I spent some time in the recliner, then defrosted a lovely pre-prepared dinner, watched a bit of TV and went to bed at 8pm. It was bliss to get into my own bed!!! It did take a while to get to sleep - but that was cos the kittehs had to be convinced that I was really here :meow:, and there were a couple of places that I'd prefer they didnt sleep - like on my feet - that's so uncomfortable when you're on your back!! Anyway, they got the message, and except for a trip to the loo around midnight, I slept straight through till about 5.30 am (which is a standard wake up time for me).

So this morning I got up, have had breakfast, taken my meds and I feel fantastic - yesterday was very big and the most active I've been since surgery - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit sore from the big day - but today will be (mostly) quiet and centered around my recliner! It is SO good to be home!

So, on to the pony story....:horseriding:Last week, I had a call from the lady who has been looking after my horse to say that he'd gotten a big fright that made him panic, jump the wire fence out of his paddock and then crash through two gates before he calmed down. He had a cut on one of his back legs and quite a few bumps and bruises all over. His carer dressed the cuts and has been giving him some anti-inflamatory drugs (which is exactly what I would have done). Anyway - the photos that Spud's carer sent me didn't really do the damage justice, there's a fair bit more there than I could see in the photos, and he's quite lame on the leg that has the cut - I think Spud's carer and I have different ideas on how lame he is!! I'm absolutely not mobile or stable enough to check him over properly myself, so I've arranged for the vet to come out today and give him a 100% check-up. I don't think he's too broken, but given his adventure, I think its best to have him checked for more than just the superficial damage that I can see (and to figure out exactly why he's lame on that cut leg - I don't think the cut is bad enough to be causing the lameness). I have a friend coming to pick me up and take me out to meet the vet this afternoon. Fingers crossed I'm being a panic merchant and that he doesn't have any sinister damage lurking under his scratched up hide!! :praying:

Ok - sorry for the novel, but there's been a lot going on!! Me and my ice pack are heading for the recliner and a lovely long snooze! now! Watch this space for Spud updates!! Tally ho!
 
@Meggzie great that you are home but so sorry about Spud. I had a similar experience post-op with my pet. I do hope you have a much better result. Please update - hope Spud is OK!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom