THR Me2 and Recovery

@Jamie Your funny -- I am not calm - but I guess I must be faking it pretty well!

Here I am up again - third night in a row at 3 a.m. . .. .. and October 15 is still 24 days away. :scare:

@Hoppy Nanny I'm still working on "being ready" -- I guess I will right up til I show up (or not) for the surgery!
 
Hey, it's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!! :rotfl:

But seriously, I do think you seem in a totally different place this time and it's great to see your confidence....even if you don't think you've got it.
 
Sheryl,

You will feel so much better when both hips are done, I can attest to this. For a month before my second surgery, which I had as soon as the pain started and I saw an x-ray, I was procrastinating about how it would not be so bad, how I knew I needed to do it, but but but but -- etc. Standard stuff, especially for a second time through. But once it was done, it was all downhill, and with the experience of the first one, easier to deal with. And my OS said the operation was easier for him (and for my body) since much less deterioration and angry soft tissue. I had a great recovery.

You will feel so much better, just do it. Good luck and keep us all posted.

Mark
 
@Me2 Hi, You are doing so much better than when i first saw your posts. Keep yourself busy and enjoy the ride. I am so glad i did both at the same time, however, You will be pain free and be back to work so quick. You go Girl.
 
Mark @mark h and all:

Thank you -- I do so appreciate the support -- I know I am doing the right thing - I just feel like I'm "cheating" to not just wait til it gets "a little worse." And, of course, now that I'm scheduled and got the wheels in motion, it is doing "better." But, my first one, for as ridiculously bad as it was, felt so much better after I scheduled. Actually, my introductory thread touts scheduling surgery as a sure-fire cure. Heck, every time I have an appointment with the OS my symptoms disappear!

HOWEVER, this old hip has felt worse since immediately after I had surgery. I think the pain of the left masked most of the pain on the right. I always check it first thing in the morning, standing up, getting out of vehicles, at the end of the day, when I'm carrying my little ones around. It is still limiting whether I go for a horseback ride and aches the whole time and then kills for day or two later. It is still limiting what I can do in life and that's what I am holding on to --- that and it getting as bad as the other one is MUCH more scary than surgery and recovery. Sorry so long winded but . . .

So @Jamie you are right -- I am more confident (at this moment anyway - two minutes from now might be different) and in a totally different place. I was in denial for so long and, now, I am acting somewhat more proactively. Always, I treat the right hip as soon as it aches with ice, etc.

Today, right now, I am feeling like I will totally be able to put the "bad hips" phase behind me by the end of the year - WOW am I going to have a celebration this New Years! You are all invited!

Sheryl
 
I think we are twins. I am reading your story, and it is my story also exactly. We've touched bases before-I am horse crazy and riding is my passion. I started having hip problems back in 2006. Had horrible groin pain and a catching when I walked. I suffered for 6 years, fearing surgery more than the pain. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and had no quality of life. Had right hip replaced in 2012-hurt so bad I had to give up riding a few months before surgery and needed a cane. Limp and pain were awful. My left hip was bad too, but not nearly as bad as the right. Had to wait 12 weeks to ride after surgery but I was pain free on right side and left hip actually felt better until spring 2014. I was still riding, but enjoying it less. Sometimes I had a hard time walking, and after reaching my deductible with my insurance I thought long and hard and decided to do the left hip in July. I knew it would get worse, and quickly. I did not want to suffer through the pain again while procrastinating the surgery. Right up until my surgery July 29, I kept on second guessing myself and wanting to back out cuz the pain wasn't so bad, and I was still riding. It happens to all of us. We both know it only gets worse, and you can go downhill in a day! You made the best decision for you to go ahead and schedule that surgery. You will be fine! I am 8 weeks out this week and wanting to ride so bad, but I am going to wait a few more weeks. My OS says to take it easy so I will only ride for 15 minutes or so, but that is all I will need to put that smile on my face. I am cheering you on!
 
Do hope you are sleeping better @Me2 and you are coping with the waiting time...not too long now! Xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2 I'm starting to get excited for us both! You surgery in just 17 more sleeps and mine in 22!! Best call we ever made! Just think how AWESOME it's gonna feel when we get on those ponies of ours and NEITHER of those pesky hips is bothering us! Can. Not. Wait!!!:dancy:

Looks like there are a few of us mad horse people around having our second hip done. This is at least three so far!! @concal It's so great to know that you're on the other side from the second and looking forward to riding too!!

Tally ho Ladies!! :horseriding:
 
My "confidence" is still holding!!:dancy:

Two little blips on surgery prep:
On Wednesday when I went to have one of my two units of blood drawn so as to have my own blood available for surgery, and they couldn't get much beyond initial flow. I had had a very busy day with my little ones and didn't drink as much as I should have, and my blood pressure was low (100/63). Have to redo blood test now. But, hopefully all ok, I did one of the units today in about 5 minutes flat no problem and can do the other one next Saturday - still 11 days from surgery. I "treated" my hubby and I to steak dinner afterwards - ug, forgot how much I don't like red meat.
Second blip on Friday, I had a call from my primary care doc's office who had said my potassium levels were slightly high so to be sure to not be taking supplements and avoid sweet potatoes, bananas, tomatoes, etc. Big oops on me. Now I need to do another blood test next week.

I spent the day shopping for some comfy clothes for hospital and after surgery (don't usually like shopping either). A bit disappointing as I didn't find much suitable for just after surgery. I need some professional looking for days I'll be seeing parents and families in and about the child care area but that are comfy easy off and on. I won't allow myself to start packing until Wednesday after pre-surgery meeting.

Thank you @Hoppy Nanny I have been doing some better with sleeping - I still wake up trying to get a comfortable sleeping position, etc., but I'm determined not to worry about it. I keep a good book, read a little, and if I don't fall asleep in half an hour, I get up and get some chore done - I certainly have enough of them! I was treating myself to a banana and peanut butter, my favorite treat, but I guess I'll not do that this week. My sleepy teas will have to do.
@Meggzie:wowspring:I read your message and after my heart skipped a few beats, I realized, yea, I am getting so close - we both are. Wow, hard to believe. I had to check the calendar. I'm hoping to get a ride in tomorrow, the weather here is fantastic, heading into fall where the leaves are still mostly green but just tinged with bursts of yellow, orange, and red.

@concal Thank you for your kind words and support. As you well know, at this stage, I can't possibly hear the affirmation that I am doing the right thing enough. Though you are one brave lady doing surgery in North Carolina in the summer - but on the up note you can hopefully get back to riding as fall hits your area - it'll truly be inspirational for @Meggzie and I to hear about your first rides! You'll be about 11 weeks ahead of us and that's not so long. Oh, the temporary "inconvenience" of this surgery for such a grand new lease on life! I am so happy both of you second timers are here! We can do this ladies -- tally ho!
:fasthorse::fasthorse::fasthorse:​
 
@Me2 good luck!!!! Anxiety to get it done is the worst part. I am having my right hip replaced next monday. I am glad I found this site. It was an eye opener and prepared me for what to expect after surgery. I have AVN on both hips. I am going to needneed my other one replaced very eventually as well.
 
@Was 86 -- good luck to you! :flwrysmile:
Welcome to BoneSmart . . . it is a great community of support isn't it? :friends:
:wowspring:​
I had a great "aha" moment. I was walking some supplies over to the neighbor's barn for my son who is going to a trail and hunt event with her. As I was hiking down the steep hill, I recalled the last time I was on it way before last surgery. I had gotten painfully stuck half way down because I just couldn't do it. I had to crawl down the hill and it took forever -- I didn't get stuck this time. After a very painful day yesterday, I took a dose of TylenolPM to sleep, swam this morning, and am relatively pain-free now. I was traversing down the hill when I suddenly realized that I don't have to wait to go to that extreme painful time of my life again. I'm not cheating, I am being smart about this. Yes, I am being kind to my body and my self, and that is good.

I am really going to do this surgery now, rock the recovery, and never (hopefully) have to do that again. I won't EVER have to NOT do life because of hip pain again! :yay:

(Well, maybe for a little bit during recovery, but I SHOULD be all better by Thanksgiving. :wink: )
 
Question after surgery. Do you need blood thinner injections? Is that a must or is there are any alternatives. I am not a needle person.
 
@Was_86. I had blood thinning injections for 4 weeks after THR....they were very easy to administer in the subcutaneous fat in stomach but all hospitals have different protocols...my sister had to take blood thinning tablets for only 2 weeks & some just give aspirin. Do ask if you are worried xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
  • Informative
Reactions: aly
@Was 86 Yes, I did have to do the stomach injections -- they are no where near as horrific as I imagined :scare:and I am not only not a needle person but have been known to be (especially before first go-round) totally everything hospital and medical phobic.

I think you'll find people here have experienced the whole range of nothing for blood thinning to these injections for 4 weeks. I had to do them I think for 2 weeks. If you are worried about it ask so you know if you need to be dealing with it or not before you waste too much energy thinking about it! For me though, I was concerned about clotting and infections after surgery though and feeling proactive on both helped reduce my worry. :sorry:

AND, the pin was so exceptionally thin and in a self-loading little thing. I actually felt better about it as something I had control over. They taught me how at the hospital, and I did one there. You'd of thought I was going to stab myself with a butcher knife. :loll: Then, when I got home, my son, a nurse, showed me how to pinch an inch (or two) and inject into the skin there. You are NOT, as I imagined, stabbing yourself with a huge needle into your stomach. Really teeny tiny needle with a plunger. Became nuisance level for me. The injection itself didn't "hurt", the Lovenox that I had didn't give me an immediate sensation, but about 10 seconds later I would feel a bit of a burny-achy for maybe 10-15 seconds.

You can do this! :yes: Keep looking ahead til you hurt no more and can DO your life. It does feel so great on the other side. :flwrysmile:
 
  • Informative
Reactions: aly
@Was_86, my OS prescribed Lovenox shots for me for 10 days but my insurance would not cover this horrific expense...for $ 700 or so, so I asked my OS about an alternative and he told me to take a regular 325 mg aspirin each day for 30 days. Yep. A $2 bottle of aspirin. Kick up a fuss and see if they don't find an alternative for you.
 
@beachgal and @Me2 thanks for your responses. I have cvs caremark and I am afraid of needles and and afraid of the cost of medication. I will definitely talk to my doctor for alternatives. I can't see myself injecting blood thinner. 6 more days till I am on the other Side can't wait!!!!!!
 
@Meggzie and @concal Got a ride in tonight, short, a little painful at the beginning but quite a glorious fall night in Pennsylvania!

Pre-surgery visit tomorrow and then two weeks to go, 15 sleeps left tonight. Holding strong, I can do this, I think I can, I think I can . . . let's hope tomorrow goes well.
 
@Me2 So great that you got a ride in! I'm jealous - work really did get in the way for me today:banghead:

You've got this Sheryl and you CAN do this - we rider gals are tough as teak! I'm crazy excited for us both - 15 sleeps for you, 19 for me! It's amazing that we have this wonderful medical miracle that means we can have a future full of riding with joy, rather than gritted teeth and tears!
 
Did pre-surgery today - two weeks til the big Hip-cation! @Dieter - I love the idea of Hip-cation - hope you don't mind me sharing it!

All went smooth, everything checked out - my hospital is so accommodating, everyone is so wonderfully easy going and eager to help make patients happy . . . little things like using my own nightgown for surgery, leaving my van parked there . . . I have to fill out my "menu" - they order meals from fancy-smancy restaurant plus accommodating any food you want to bring in like, on my list, yogurt, prunes, spinach to add to my salad, tea. Some biggies is they ok'd a shower or two depending on how long I stay; they like 3 days but will do 2. And absolutely huge for me is anesthesiologist discussed and developed plan for fully awake this time! He promised just the spinal and a wee bit of Fentanyl (to guarantee him I'd be relaxed but promised not sleeping). So my blood units will be done on Saturday, and I can pick up my suitcase and start packing!

Jena @Meggzie you are so right, I am so glad I am getting this done
It's amazing that we have this wonderful medical miracle that means we can have a future full of riding with joy, rather than gritted teeth and tears!
We will never (hopefully) have to think about our hips except to celebrate! @concal You are lucky to be celebrating on the other side!

14 sleeps left!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom