THR Me2 and Recovery

Aw, you all are so wonderfully supportive --- it is so great to spend an evening with all you old and new friends who share the perplexities of hip surgery -- before during and after -- and truly understand! I had a very bad hip day yesterday and today--so having no trouble wrapping my head and heart around surgery today! It was so good to read the supportive "get it done" messages. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

Actually @Dieter - when I was visiting my friendly OS, he suggested we pencil in a date so he can get approval to make some of the "minor" changes to avoid my crazy mental status last time --- I tentatively scheduled for October 15. I've been thinking of this surgery as my "hip-cation" to celebrate my birthday on October 18! Last year, I was so depressed with what my life had been reduce to I just absolutely refused to celebrate. Wow, what a difference a year makes. Peace to you my friend :friends:I am hoping all is wonderful and you are still celebrating "milestones."
 
9 months out.. no looking back.. life is sweet again.. still recall certain places/locations where pain hit me..national parks, local parks, beach, etc.. feel sad that I lost so many years! go for it and be free!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
that is the best part about insurance ! once you are maxed out, everything is free of charge. ( not technically free because you are finally putting those old premium payments to use depending on how long you were enrolled)
I will be maxing out soon and that is one expense that I no longer will worry about.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@ Herb Wow, again, I've been seeing you around the forum but had just found your recovery thread yesterday and now just finished reading from beginning to end. Thank you so much for your words of confidence about your self and your recent reference to me. I am trying here not to hijack your thread as I try to move some of my favorite message quotes from yours over to my recovery thread as they are giving me such strength.

My recovery from my first THR was going as phenomenal as yours until my "brain" took a quick detour. I am determined to keep the brain part on track this time. So I will.

Sure, I brought attitude, conditioning, a robust constitution, preparation, and other skills to the mix but the anterior approach was clearly essential as without it even perfect luck would not have gotten me out of the hospital nor immediate freedom from all 'precautions'.

So agree that our anterior approach is vital. In reading through all the "anterior" recovery threads, the "no precautions" are it. Before this year and my finding surgeons who did anterior, I was not willing to do this surgery as I saw no gain, just permanently living with changing my body to NOT be able to do in exchange for no pain. I could handle the pain, I wanted to be able to do. Posterior and lateral approaches came with too many "restrictions."

It really wasn't justified to take "sick days" and for me it truly was a vacation -- best vacation I've had in years in fact.

Ha! As I am in business for myself, I don't get sick days -- BUT this time I am scheduling my "hip-cation" with a big whopping three days off! I KNOW it will be the best vacation I've had in years - at least in terms of feeling much better the rest of my life for it. And, hmmm, it'll be free (or at least to me since Highmark has been so wonderful with their funding of this journey of mine!) which is kinda like winning a free luxury resort vacation!


This is literally true and though partly due to my enjoyment of the process, it was most a real vacation because NO ONE REQUIRED A SINGLE THING from me (other than showing up for surgery). I wasn't required to do ANYTHING. Everything I did was quite literally because at that moment it was precisely what was the most important thing TO ME.
Even I didn't make any demands on myself -- no guilt about sleeping late or sitting in my chair vegging or failure to wash the dog or not wanting to fix small issues with my car (even though I did a couple of these when it seemed like a GOOD TIME) or exercising (though I did that too) or even going to sleep or 'having' to take my wife out to dinner or brunch (I like to stay home but thorough enjoyed the times that *I* chose for us to eat out).

Yep - I'll have to keep this in mind --- I did look at it this way last time in that I was taking the three days off to take care of ME after so many years of taking care of everyone else -- Yep I am going to take care of me!

You may think I don't need that extra motivation and energy, but I have been SUCKING ENERGY FROM YOU KIND FOLKS LIKE DRINKING THROUGH A FIRE HOSE.
(and it wasn't an accident either) Some people need commiseration, but a challenge works better for me :) most of the time.

Me2 again - I see myself being challenged by your thread to keep my positive attitude this time round. I think the "perfect storm" of events hit me (effects of anesthesia, the first outpatient physical therapist, my own phobias) but believe me I'll be "sucking the energy from you" as I am quite certain your knees' recovery will be similar.

It really wasn't justified to take "sick days" and for me it truly was a vacation -- best vacation I've had in years in fact.
This is literally true and though partly due to my enjoyment of the process, it was most a real vacation because NO ONE REQUIRED A SINGLE THING from me (other than showing up for surgery). I wasn't required to do ANYTHING. Everything I did was quite literally because at that moment it was precisely what was the most important thing TO ME.
Even I didn't make any demands on myself -- no guilt about sleeping late or sitting in my chair vegging or failure to wash the dog or not wanting to fix small issues with my car (even though I did a couple of these when it seemed like a GOOD TIME) or exercising (though I did that too) or even going to sleep or 'having' to take my wife out to dinner or brunch (I like to stay home but thorough enjoyed the times that *I* chose for us to eat out).
I did precisely what pleased me for an entire week. It was an entirely selfish week of no real responsibility nor duty and no guilt or shame.

Hmm, rethinking here, maybe I should take a whole week . . . . but I think I would miss my little ones too much and I don't even want to think of them all coming back after a week off. Hmm, but a whole week of taking care of me . . . . "an entire selfish week of no real responsibility nor duty and not guilt or shame" - WOW

but can swim with a special bandage he recommended and we bought on the way home.

Gotta remember this -- I swam and swim now at least a half hour to an hour a day and that was "not recommended" by my surgeon but I think the lack of good exercise early in my recovery was another part of the perfect storm that did me in.

It's not pain getting me up, not even the bathroom. My body just keeps saying, enough, get up and DO SOMETHING.

Yes, remember this, Sheryl, when you wake up, don't let yourself go crazy -- your body and mind does not like to "NOT DO SOMETHING" When and if I have sleep issues next time, get up and do something!

(Mental strength matters the most if you get thrown a curve during your surgery or recovery.)

Yes, I did know that. I am preparing for those curves but I don't and won't get thrown off track this time.
:thankyou:​
I can't thank you enough for taking all the time for posting such a positive thread for us to "suck the energy from"
 
I continue my stealing quote-ables to remind myself:

HerbM said: ↑
And one doesn't have to be an IronWoman like CanukTriMom to do this -- @@Me2 is working to prepare this as well (and I don't think she has ever run an IronMan) but then if I recall correctly she quite something of an athlete. Athletes don't even need to be 'elite' if they practiced with this type of mind set. I was never really a GREAT athlete.
Even that isn't necessary, there are plenty of people with the fortitude to make the best of ANYTHING life deals and even more with the ability to DEVELOP this capability.

Yes, I am working to strengthen and be ready for "this marathon" of recovery, Part 2. Reading your (HerbM) posts and reflecting on my own preparation for Part 1, I see that this hip thing has helped me to develp the ability to make the best of ANYTHING life deals!

HerbM said: ↑
I don't believe it is necessarily required, but going in excited, staying excited, and deciding to have fun is one of the better ways within our control to improve the outcome.
All of this sets up our body with adrenaline and endorphins which reducing pain and improve energy.
This was a big part of my mental arsenal, although for me there was so little discomfort that it isn't clear how important it was OR if that is part of the reason for the comfort.
I still have 6 weeks to go -- 2 weeks before meeting with surgeon to make decision, then 4 weeks until actual surgery on October 15 to build this excitement. I am definitely deciding that I need to "have fun" a little more this time around.

HerbM said: ↑
Probably your greatest danger is the whole hip replacement thing will be a giant anti-climax FOR YOU -- except you will have lost your old pain.
If that happens just remember to ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE THOROUGHLY. Your mission should you decide to accept is to have more fun than even I did. (A little Mission Impossible music if you please....)​

I am worried that this one will be quite a bit anti-climactic for me -- this right hip is not nearly as painful nor limiting range of motion -- but I surely don't want to let it go and live through another couple of years (or even a year) as it declines. I am definitely getting more comfortable with the idea.
 
@Me2... it sounds like you are mentally so prepared already. I know I have learned so much about myself in this process and know that I too will approach round 2 differently to enable me to have a better recovery both physically and mentally. Also getting the 2nd hip sooner will surely mean that you'll get more benefit from the first one. Imagine what next Spring and Summer will be like...
 
@Me2 hi, Sheryl. It sounds like you are preparing yourself for another round. You will do fantastic. Your head is in the right place! I am feeling so much better. I have been swimming a lot and I believe it has made a huge difference for me. Things are looking up. Good luck to you, one of my original hippie friends! I'll check on with you from time to time. :cheers:
 
Debbie - @Dmcfad2 So good to hear from you my friend. I am so delighted that you are feeling better. There is just something about swimming that is good for our bodies . . . I am back to swimming, too, started "training" for this next marathon . . . I'm not 100% sure yet that I am going another round in October but I am getting more comfortable with the idea. I have til September 18 appointment with OS to get my head wrapped around the idea. Hoping to clear up a few of the "issues" I had develop and avoid the extreme mental anguish I dealt with last time, but I still want the fantastic physical recovery . . . I guess to say "I want it all!" That you are still around (Bonesmart, that is) and will be by to visit gives me great comfort -- thank you. :cheers:
 
@Me2 I have been swimming a lot, too.
The pool stayed open an extra week, and today it closes for the year.
I wish you luck in your decision making. Remember the Nike jingle... Just do it!
 
I met with surgeon on Thursday . . . and we're still on for October 15. I'm getting pretty comfortable with the idea of just getting this done . . . having fun on my Hip-cation. I don't have the big euphoric bubble of excitement I had when I scheduled last time. Just quiet almost acceptance, few second, third, fourth, etc., thoughts but I'm pretty sure I can do this!
 
@Me2, I've got October 15th circled on my calendar. You can do this!!! So proud of you!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Me2, You can do it and you will be so glad you did. Even with my minor mishap during my second THR, I would certainly not think twice about getting it done. The pre-op bone on bone pain is not something I ever want to experience again. Wishing you all the very best and keep us posted about your decision.
 
Thank you both so much. What would I do without this kind of support?


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Get after it @Me2, we will be lifting up positive thoughts for you to have as smooth a recovery as your first go...you will be "back in the saddle" by Thanksgiving... and you will have so much more to be thankful for this year my hippy friend.
Peace
 
Thanks @Dieter ! I do so enjoy being back in the saddle and will doubly so when I can do it comfortably with both sides! :heehee:

@MajorHeidi , Claire, sorry to hear for you, but I would love, love to have your company again! I'll have to bop on over to your thread to see what's going on. Are you talking as in soon? or just starting to think about it?
 
I'm impressed with your calmness this time around! Good for you!!! You've come a long way since that first surgery and you will do great this time!!!
 
Just today sent email to the dr application
To ask what to do and next steps for my condition...
I expect to schedule appt as next thing and see how bad it is.
We may be recovery partners yet again!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
So glad that you seem to have this sorted @Me2.... Getting your head around a second bout of recovery isn't easy. It seems like you are ready now. I'm just getting into X-rays of my knee so may be joining you in another surgery. Taking hints from your PMA! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom