Guest viewing is limited

THR Me2 and Recovery

How wonderful @Me2 ! Awesome report!!!! I know that has been a big goal of yours, I'm sure Storm was just as happy as you were, nothing like a "short four hour trail ride"
Dancing on top of riding? Healing has been very good for you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Me2 so so so incredibly happy for you!!!! Sounds like your life is back!!! Enjoy every minute:) you are doing awesome!


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
How AWESOME is that!!!!!!! So happy for you!!!! It has been awhile since I have been here and to be able to read this is just SUPER!!!!
 
@Me2 I'm really pleased for you Sheryl!! It's great to hear that it is all falling into place and that you are really able to do things that you want, as and when you want. :yes!:
 
Thank you all!

Official blessing from OS last week on left hip doing great! Don't have to go back for year!

But, I have appointment with pain doctor tomorrow on follow up on injection for right hip and to discuss whether SI joint issues, possible injection there to rule out or confirm whether hip is ready to do or if the SI joint causing problems. The dilemma of it hurts too much to totally ignore but not really enough to be sure I should go through again. Does it always get worse? Am I kidding myself and which way am I kidding myself?
 
If you have arthritis in the other hip, you are kidding yourself if you think it will get better. It won't. It will get worse. But no one can say how fast that will happen and only you (with your surgeon) can decide when the time is right for you to have it replaced as well. If arthritis is not the problem, of course things might improve with treatment and time. It depends on what your diagnosis is.
 
Yes, @Jamie, it does depend on what the diagnosis is . . . I know I have arthritis in the other hip but am not sure if it is causing my symptoms. The pain doc did confirm, unfortunately, that my symptoms are most like indicative of sacroiliac joint problems. Hence, I am scheduled for injection there on July 16. If all symptoms go away in first 6 hours, I can pretty much guarantee that SI joint is cause and thus would not need to worry about hip right now.

But, bad news is (maybe the worse part), not much can be done for SI joint and, yea, you are right, eventually I will still need right hip. I might get some short term relief from injection and I might get some relief from PT or chiropractor. I have gone back on other side to start thread to see if anyone has information/experience with this SI joint.

BUT, all in all, I feel so much better than before surgery. Left side feels absolutely wonderful, and I just want to feel that way on both sides!
 
I hope your injection helps the SI joint.......and you feel better there, soon!
 
Only a few moments, but

I found some exercises that are really helping SI joint -- feels better for hours at time. Also helping to sort out for me which is hip and which is SI joint. Not sure what I'm doing about it but . . . right now still scheduled for injection but now sure if I should go or not???

I did get to go for another great trail ride on Saturday! Oh, I am so happy to be riding again -- and so very much worth being flat on the floor most of the day on Sunday . . . something really hurt in right hip, but went back to Tylenol, ice and elevate! It worked. Able to wake up Monday morning ready to work with my kiddos! Hurts a bit but doable --- this almost definitely felt like hip not SI joint. Good or bad?
 
@Me2 Yahoo Sheryl on the horseback riding! :horseriding:
I can tell how happy you are with being back in the saddle.
So you iced your bad, non-op right hip I believe....
That sure sounds like it is your right hip wanting equal time with THR like the left.
Doesn't it?
 
Congrats on riding again @Me2 ! I can't imagine doing that right now! I am so sore from physical therapy. I can't remember ... are you still doing therapy or did you say you didn't need to do much therapy?
 
Thank you @younghippie .

Actually, tho I'm a big fan of PT, I went to just one outpatient PT session. They just did same old stuff that I had been doing at home. With all the emphasis here on BoneSmart on just walking and me wanting to use the time to get back to more a a normal workout and life, I just didn't go back. I was also frustrated with so much time waiting for therapist to work with me and give me next exercise as well as her not really watching to see if I was doing exercise "right." I probably should have looked for another therapist but . . . I went back to my regular gym and just am working on a lot of strengthening stuff and cardio --- up to 6-7 miles in 20 minutes. And horseback riding really works hip and thigh muscles, too!

Sorry to hear you get so sore from therapy yet --- any idea why?
 
@Me2 Sounds like you are doing great. I get sore because I was in such bad shape before the surgery. I was told I was too young for THR and waited several years. My hip literally couldn't support my body to walk up a stair or get up into my car, etc. so I had to use the other side to do anything that was full weight bearing. So, my muscles on that side are having to come back to life and gain the strength necessary just to do normal things. Hopefully, it's just a little longer process for me than most.. but, will work again in time. :)
 
Here it is July 23 and Week 16! WOW!!! A little over 3 months. I've been on a bunch of trail rides and celebrated yesterday with a long (probably about 10 mile) bike ride on the bike trail to our favorite gyro place. I do swim some but our pool though big is not as great to do laps in as the one at the gym. I've been going with my son to his gym to do some weight training and bike. I've lost another 15 pounds since surgery for a total of 50 pounds since the New Year.

I had the injection for the SI joint last week. Really interesting as the doc does it in the same OR's as I had my THR surgery. Entered through the recovery area which I thought I remembered from surgery but, nope, same place but I only remembered my little area of about 5 feet from bed. It is, a huge room with many people. Going into the OR room itself was very interesting. I really wish I had had this "tour" before my surgery. Even though I knew it is a small "15 bed" hospital, I was surprised at the number of the people in the OR who remembered me remembering little details like my aversion to hospital robes and weight loss. My nurse from surgery, Theresa, had seen me in the lobby at the entrance and came over and greeted me with a hug. Friendly place.

I think I figured out what is SI joint pain and what is hip pain, and the injection did confirm, I think. That joint is causing me issues, and the exercises I found are making it go away for several days at a time. I think I could feel an "oval" of about 1 1/2" by 2" of numbness for about the 6 hours from the injection. I'm not sure if the rest of the back pain is from the hip or not. I wish there was a "test" that would tell me that I could count on it going away if I get the right hip done. I do figure the slight and sometimes sharp groin pain and the ache in right front and side of hip are hip related. It hasn't been "giving out" as often as it was. I have an appointment with the OS on August 7 to hopefully answer to get his two cents on what's up with right hip.

Sorry such a long report, but I wanted to record my thoughts. Life is still so good and so much improved since the surgery. If it wasn't for the right hip, I would have a "forgotten" hip now, it works just marvelously! The bit more than "niggling" pain of right hip reminds me though of how good left hip feels.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom