TKR May I have some cheese with that whine?

Thanks for sharing your journey. You have been an inspiration. Please do keep us updated on your continued progress. Best wishes.
 
[Bonesmart.org] May I have some cheese with that whine?
your thread title as requested, daughter stalker.
 
Maria,
It's great to hear that you have 143 flex! That is really fantastic! I measured mine last night at 130, and I'm really happy with that. The decision to stop PT is up to you, and can be a difficult decision. Personally, my thigh and quad muscles are still a bit weak, so I wish that I had continued PT for at least another 4 weeks. I stopped at 12 weeks post-TKR. But, I'm very active now, and am still doing the exercise bike, so I'm hoping that I can get back into shape on my own.

I just crossed the 6 month mark, and the knee is feeling pretty good, so I too will be posting less as time goes by. It really does get to a point where we feel that we have to move on with our lives. I just want to let you know that I really appreciate all the support you have given me, and I have enjoyed our conversations throughout recovery.

The cruise was excellent! I snorkeled in the USVI, and the knee did surprisingly well. It actually even felt better after the workout. There was quite a bit of walking involved on the ship and throughout the vacation. I had to ice & elevate a couple of evenings, but all in all it went pretty well! We sailed though a gale the first 2 days out, and we had to bypass the Bahamas due to high winds and rough seas. I managed to not get seasick, and the rest of the cruise was a blast! The day we came back to Port Canaveral was my birthday, so we stayed in town for another night and went into Cocoa Beach to celebrate my birthday. If you like steak, check out Backwoods Steakhouse in Cocoa Beach. They are excellent!

Take care, and wishing you all the best with the new knee.

Cheers,
Roger
 
Good luck to you and you will be missed! One of the nicest parts about being a forum advisor is watching when you graduate! You will be missed so please stop in to give others encouragement from time to time!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@daughter stalker
Hello D.S,
I noticed you were on - line & hope you receive this post:) I hope you are doing well &
Your knee is behaving. Are you still El Presidente of the O.D. I.C ? I sure hope you became
Impeached & the card has been pasted on to your successor.:bow:
So, :mer xm: To you & your family, May 2014 Bring joy & peace to your family.
Love,
Diana:xmas-tree::xmas-kitty:
 
@new knee in June I am hanging in there. I found someone on this site who has dethroned me as President of the ODIC. I don't believe that I over did it to the point that the OS office told me to go to the ER. Whew!!! She can be the new president.

I am hanging in there. When is it that I am supposed to be able to say that I am happy I had this TKR? Friday will be 6 months for me. I thought by now that I would be able to say I am happy I did it, but I can't. Not yet, but I am still waiting. I won't give up yet. Stopped formal PT the end of November and am doing it on my own (some).

I wish you and your family a very :mer xm: and a :martini::martini::martini: Happy New Year!

:presnt::xmas-tree::xmas-kitty:
 
When is it that I am supposed to be able to say that I am happy I had this TKR?

Hi DS I was talking to @robynhood (Pat) recently. She said this recovery has to be the longest ever. I am nearly 10mths now and Pat is over the year. What does your TKR feel like now? I still have the tight band across and down the inner side of the knee. Its uncomfortable but not painful. There's been very little change for the last couple of months.
 
Hi @patient 99! I have stiffness/tightness all the time over the top of my knee cap and it is an all the time thing. It is like my knee is wearing a helmet or something. The tightness is quite irritating. I still have some swelling above the knee cap that won't go down. The OS didn't seem alarmed when he saw it last month. He even released me for 2 years unless I had a problem with the knee.
 
It is like my knee is wearing a helmet or something.

Hi DS, What you describe, perfectly, is exactly where I'm at at approaching 10 months (although no swelling above the knee, but a little below by the end of the day). I had no issues with my knee prior to the op (realised I had bone on bone, went in, had the op, finito). So on the face of it I thought I would gallop home. Oh what a fool.

To give us both some hope, I do think my knee is continuing to improve, its just that its so subtle (like trying to watch a child growing day by day), its hard to tell. Like you, my OS and GP all seem confident everything is OK - but I don't have total confidence in that gang.

Thank you for your report. It helps to hear how others are doing - especially people who are experiencing similar things - although you are still only at the 6 mth stage.

I still have the old dilemma on how much excercise to do. These days I don't do any except what life requires - walking, stairs etc. But I wonder if that might be holding me back. Its just that my knee feels worse when I do it, so I don't.
 
Hi @patient 99,

Oh no, Carol! :yikes: You still feel like I feel this at 10 months? Ugh!!! :headbang: I am exercising 3 days per week. I either do the stationary recumbent bike or the elliptical machine for 30 to 45 minutes depending how much time I have to do before work. I then ice and elevate for 20 minutes before I take a shower. I am also wearing a neoprene sleeve for extra support while exercising. I think the neoprene sleeve is more for my psyche than support.

Before surgery I was also bone on bone. I had good days and bad days. More good days than bad days but the bad days were BAD. :hairpulling: After the last arthroscopy (#6), the pain was gone for only 2 months. :cry: Two months was not good enough for me. I finally decided that since the last arthroscopy didn't work that it was time! Going under 8 times for this one knee I finally gave up my delusion that my knee could hold out another year or two. :sigh: I just couldn't take the bad days anymore. Now I am not so sure about this TKR. I don't have any really good days. Most are the same every day. My wish is for some good days so that I know that I am doing better. I don't remember a day where I could call it good. All days are all the same.:hissy: BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! :sad:

Thank you for responding and I hope you get better soon! Have a wonderful holiday season!

:mer xm:
 
I don't remember a day where I could call it good.

As I am sure you know,the set response to your progress/lack of , is that its early days, it can take up to a year. Its probably the case. But I have to say DS that with only 2 months left before I hit the one year stage, I am beginning to wonder.

Perhaps our expectations are too high. I don't have pain and I can get about and do most things (although I can't dance and I can't run. Dont know if I can kneel - too scared to try.) Even if you are disappointed at present, if its still better than before the op, then having it done was worth it. Is it?

You are doing a lot of exercise. I used to, but found my non operated knee didn't like it (it will need to be done at some stage), also I've read so many posts where people actually did better when they did less rigorous exercise. Oh, its a game. We don't really know what to do for the best. But we are not in a situation where we can return the goods because they are not fit for purpose. So best foot forward..................

I don't always manage it, but I try not to worry. I say to myself you still have 2 whole months left before you need to worry. You have a whole 6 months. So you can afford to relax.
 
Dear D.S.,
I was reading your last post & was a bit sad:sorry: Remember, you have had 8 surgeries on 1 knee:yikes:
You never really got much time before you went back to work. I don't mean to preach to you
El Presidente, but could you possibly only work out 2 times a week ? Work is basically your exercise,
I believe you will benefit greatly from reducing your routine:)
I hope you get some peaceful, restful days off from everything.
I am glad you are still hopeful about your knee,
The day will come, but please don't over do it....I'd hate for you to have to look for your O.D.I.C card:groan:
Please take it Kneesy,
Sincerely,
Diana:xmas-kitty:@daughter stalker :snows:
 
:xmas-tree::xmas-tree::xmas-tree: :mer xm::xmas-tree::xmas-tree::xmas-tree:

:xmas-kitty::kitty chris::luv4y:
 
[Bonesmart.org] May I have some cheese with that whine?
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] May I have some cheese with that whine?
bottomshollow
 
Hello D.S @daughter stalker
Happy New Year to you:) I think of you often &. Hope all is going well:kittykiss:Hardly anyone
Posts anymore especially from June:heehee:
I hope your knee is behaving....I'll be shoveling 15 inches of snow Thurs. & Friday:yikes: Good for the waist
& soul. As you know I love the snow:snow dig:
Take Care,
Diana:friends:
 
Hi Diana I'm still around, and posting once in awhile. I don't post as much because I really have no news to report. My knees are about the same as the last two months. They get me where I need to go, but the left one isn't what I had hoped for because it doesn't bend or extend like it should, but I'm in no pain anymore. I will miss reading daughter stalkers updates. I hope to hear good news in the future though. And be careful Diana while shoveling all that snow!
 
Hi @new knee in June,

Happy New Year! I read that you are doing well. I wouldn't do well in the snow. I love the beach!!! Nothing new to post about. I have crunching all the time and the little swelling left still won't leave. I guess I am doing better kneewise. I have a bad cold this week which is placing a HUGE cramp in my vacation time. I was even sick on New Year's Eve which happens to be my daughter's birthday. She is now fourteen years old. How can you make it up to a fourteen year old when you stay in bed all day? On New Year's Eve to boot!

I had so many plans for these two weeks off. I guess I will have to drop and punt! I wanted to exercise a little every day and get back into a routine so that when the new year started I would have already been doing what I needed to get the knee stronger again. BOO!!!

I wish everyone a very HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Take care and those of you in the beginning stages of TKR or PKR take things easy!!!

Lots of New Years Cheer!!! :martini::martini::martini::martini::martini:
 
Dear D.S @daughter stalker
I hope you feel better:):) Does your knee feel better now that you are on Vacation ?
Tell your daughter " Happy Birthday":yahoo:I'm sure you can plan something when you feel better.
Take Care:friends:
Diana:snow dig: I love the snow !!!!!!!!!:yes!::spin::happydance:
 
Hi Diana,

Thank you. My knee feels the same. :headbang: I will tell my daughter Happy Birthday for you. :happydance:

Please throw a snowball for me and enjoy the snow. I like to look at the snow, but growing up in Birminngham, AL snow usually started out as sleet and ice then the snow fell on top of it. This is my only experience with snow and everything shut down around us with the threat of snow. :yikes:

Thanks for checking on me. :flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom