Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

If those exercises hurt, don’t do them! When I was in PT, my therapist would not allow me to do any exercises that caused pain
 
One week post op. Had a rough Sunday, today seems better already! I have had a couple instances of feeling a little woozy at times. I get that yesterday as I was hot/cold all day but it happened again this morning & it was after I had my protein shake. Probably normal but wrote it down in my diary anyway.

Not a bad night of sleeping but wasn’t as restful as I hoped. I think I got spoiled by my first few nights home. I’m amazed at the colors of my leg!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey
[Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey


Note the yellow under bandage in first picture.
 
You could get a black sharpie and draw a design in the bruising. Voila! New tattoo!
Seriously though.. is the bruising as painful as it looks?
 
You could get a black sharpie and draw a design in the bruising. Voila! New tattoo!
Brilliant! I should have done something like that, though I never had any bruising. Maybe I should decorate Miss Drana Queen Knee now. :rotfl:
 
I must be a real bruiser. My left leg was like yours all the way down below my ankle and around to almost the other side. For some reason, I didn't have quite as much on the right leg but it was still impressive. My grand-daughters said I had "the best boo-boos". :) :-) (:
 
@InkedMarie that is some impressive bruising. I only had light yellow bruising but I did have a drain which removed about a cup of blood over 2 days before it was removed.
 
@Jockette
I’ve seen some beautiful henna designs here at the beach! In case you can’t draw, henna might make Ms Drama Queen happy!
 
I had much less bruising with TKR no 2. No idea why.
After my first TKR my youngest grandson asked if the doctor had cut my knee off with a big sword!
 
The straight leg raises and kickouts hurt the worst of any of the exercises.
Then don't do them.
Your knee is telling you that, as plainly as it can. Pain is a message that you are doing too much for your new knee.
"If it hurts, at the time or later, don't do it." That was part of the advice given to you in the post-op reading:
"a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again."
​
Just in case you all think that you have to do what your PT therapist says, you don't. You are the only one with the right to say what happens to your knee. Others can advise, but you have the right to choose whether or not to accept that advice.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?
 
Eight days post op....what a crappy night for sleep last night! Went to bed just before 9pm....couldn’t sleep, got up around 11pm to come out to couch. Got a few hours laying flat on the couch, woke up for an hour, got another 1.5 hours sitting in the recliner. Going to be a long day. It doesn’t help that it is going to be hot and humid this week....I hate humidity....we have AC but the past couple days saw me being hot & cold. Yesterday, I had the AC on 66, low fan, ceiling fan off and I’m wearing long sleeves and covered with a blanket. Humidity not leaving til Friday. im assuming this hot/cold is anesthesia related...correct?

In home PT due today. They call in the morning and tell you what time. Today, if it’s after lunch, I’m going to tell them to pick another day because I’m going to need a nap today.

Hoping for a decent day today....for everyone!
 
My first week went better than my second week is going!
That’s the rollercoaster we talk about.

I know nothing about a hip recovery, was that a rollercoaster also?
 
The battle against lack of sleep is so frustrating. :bored: They should really warn people about sleep disruption because it seems nearly everyone suffers from it. Just know that it will pass. Until it does, catch those naps!
 
If you read my recovery thread, you'll see that my physical therapists say if an exercise hurts, back off and take it easier. Those two exercises hurt, so I have backed off. I read the recommendations here and have taken the advice I feel is right for me, but as your legal disclaimer says, that advice is not a substitute for the recommendations of our physicians or surgeons.
 
Your pain is going to be in the soft tissues that are trying to heal from being manhandled during surgery.

So here's what I don't understand. Never have understood this from the day I started reading Bonesmart.
If you had a big surgery elsewhere on your body.....abdominal or something like that.....would you have to do PT to get the muscles working again? No. I had a big abdominal surgery with lots of soft tissue cut. Moving hurt. A lot. After 8 weeks or so I did very gentle exercise on my own to help the muscles strengthen.
How is it different that PT after TKR is harped on by OS and PTs? The Bonesmart way is time to heal the soft tissue damage. I just don't get why PT is the be all and end all during the healing time.

Marie, I hope you have better days and nights very soon. Like today and tonite:)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom