TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

@Jockette for me, my hip recoveries were uneventful. No roller coaster ride.
Thanks Susie., Mtn searcher and beachy!

My pt came at 9 am. I got lightheaded, not dizzy, again this morning when she was here. It happened last week, too. That and my hot/cold problems suggested to her that I call my surgeon. I called, spoke to the MA at the office and she will call me back after she hears back from him. Hopefully it’s just anesthesia/surgery related. I did have a few days of feeling cold after my hip but not the great fluctuation.
 
The last several years I’ve been very warm all the time (I’m the only one in my bowling league who bowls all winter in a sleeveless top and sometimes also shorts or capris, they finally stopped commenting on it) and I was freezing for a couple of months after surgery.

I think that part is par for the course. I didn’t fluctuate, though, between hot and cold.

I’m back to being too warm all the time.
 
@InkedMarie did they check your hemoglobin level post surgery? With my first hip replacement for unknown reasons my hemoglobin tanked and I would pass out every time pt tried to get me up. I wonder with your bruising if you could be somewhat low and that would make you feel light headed and have temperature issues
 
@DLR I’m on hold with my docs office; I never thought to mention the bruising which I thought was normal...will mention the hemoglobin
 
I do think your bruising looks normal or at least just like the bruising I had. Try not to worry.
 
I had the hot/cold fluctuations in the weeks post surgery. Eventually it settled down.
 
It would be over 90* outside and I'd be cold inside while icing and would have to go outside to get warm. Maybe the icing is getting your cold.
 
Yep, icing under a blanket on hot summer days--that was me. But even when I wasn't actively icing I had the hot/cold issue. One of those things they don't tell you. :shrug:
 
Is anyone “up” on vitamins? I’ve been a touch nauseous and finally figured out it is the 500mg of Vitamin C I have to take. So, tonight, I decide to take it with dinner. Not that I’m eating much, wish my appetite would come back but anyway, I had a piece of cold pizza with the Vit C. Darn nausea is back. It’s not bad or anything, just there.

Anyone know if there’s a Vit C that won't make me nauseous?
 
I’m writing this at 5:15am on day ten. Blech. No pain, been on Tylenol & Advil since last Thursday but the not sleeping is driving me nuts! Steve is sleeping in the spare room because I was going back & forth between the Lounge Doctor & a body pillow; just no room and he’d be up every time I was. He’s back to work this week, comes home for lunch but needs some rest too. Last night I tried taking two Dilaudid; no luck.

Other than no sleep and the ensuing exhaustion, I’m doing well!

Oh I did forget the butt pain is back. After my LTHR it was mostly on the left side; now it’s the right side (had right knee replaced). Can I catch a break?
 
Last edited:
Is anyone “up” on vitamins? I’ve been a touch nauseous and finally figured out it is the 500mg of Vitamin C I have to take. So, tonight, I decide to take it with dinner. Not that I’m eating much, wish my appetite would come back but anyway, I had a piece of cold pizza with the Vit C. Darn nausea is back. It’s not bad or anything, just there.

Anyone know if there’s a Vit C that won't make me nauseous?
@InkedMarie - No one can diagnose the cause of your nausea on line. It's so soon after your surgery and it could be caused by any of the medications you're taking. Do make sure you're taking all your medications with something to eat, even if it's just a cracker. Advil, being an NSAID, is particularly hard on the stomach and it's not even a very good pain killer. It's well known for causing gastric irritation.

Please contact your surgeon or your own doctor about the nausea.
 
Hi @Celle I know you cant diagnose online, that’s why I didn’t ask for one! I know it's after Vit C, after all its an acid. I did find more info and am ordering something tomorrow.
 
@InkedMarie, there were too many people giving you advice that verged on medical advice, which only staff are allowed to do.
It would still be wise to consult a doctor, and not self-diagnose and self-medicate.

Is there any really pressing medical reason why you can't just stop taking the Vitamin C for a few days?

For what it's worth, Advil and other NSAIDs are notorious for causing stomach upsets and damage. They can even cause severe gastric bleeding. You should stop taking them if you have any gastric symptoms, such as nausea or indigestion. If you do take them, it is wise to also take them with a proton pump inhibitor (prescribed medication) , which reduces stomach acid.
 
@Celle my surgeon is the one who told me to take 500mg of Vit C twice a day. It is on my discharge instructions. Yes, I can stop taking it. The nausea will stop as my notes tell me it happens after the C. Ironically, I take one or two doses of Advil a day, also on discharge instructions. If I eat a couple crackers if it’s not mealtime,no nausea. Something about the C, with a meal, mKes my tummy a little nauseous. Go figure!

Thanks!
 
So use your common sense and stop taking the Vitamin C. It's not essential for your recovery.
It's a large dose, most of which your body isn't going to use, but will excrete in your urine.
 
Those discharge instructions don't have to be followed to the "T". Let your body's reaction be your guide. Many have had to go off of NSAIDS because of their tummy issues with it.
 
I had the hot/cold thing going on too. Of course, the "hot" I attributed it to hot flashes, lol!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom