TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

Used to be we could change the title of our threads ourselves. I miss that feature for just this reason; when you want to get feedback on something specific it just gets lost in your thread and the people who might be able to help don't see it.

Anyway, I think gentle exercise is walking and stretching and then adding anything else as tolerated.
 
@InkedMarie, it's great to see you doing so well after your surgery! I'm feeling a little jealous right now, since my original surgery date was the same as yours (8-27) but it was subsequently delayed due to the discovery of additional metal allergies. I hope to get confirmation of my new date sometime next week.
Meanwhile, I'm encouraged to read about your recovery, including success elevating with the Lounge Doctor pillow! I bought one of those after reading enthusiastic reviews from others who have had TKR surgeries and look forward to getting relief from swelling by using that. Keep feeling better and enjoy the holiday weekend! I'll look for more of your recovery posts in the weeks ahead. :SUNsmile:
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Ugh, no offense but I hate that it got merged. I wanted anyone to read it, not just whomever reads my recovery thread. No biggie.

@NanaBeach I love this Lounge Doctor! I was worried about sleeping on my back but this is making it easy, so far. I think the pillow helps too as it elevates a little and my own cushy pillow helps too.

I hope your new date is soon!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey
    C016BAA6-DC79-4513-8C1E-BD9846B6C6BF.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 243
I still use my lounge dr daily. I love it - it is easy on my back and I often take a little snooze in the afternoon while elevating.
 
Gentle exercise can be a lot of things. It can be your activities of daily living such as walking around your home or for short trips outside. It can be slowly doing the stairs in such a way that you're not experiencing a tremendous amount of pain (usually one step at a time). Or it can be doing bending and stretching to the point of mild discomfort (not pain). Or it may be doing some sitting and rising from chairs or the toilet. Some people do a bending exercise while sitting in a chair or on the toilet. It's really anything that you feel comfortable doing as long as you're not experiencing a lot of pain or trying to pull or push your knee to improve ROM.
 
@Jamie I came home with exercises and PT brought some. Are these okay?

Heel slides incl using a leg lifter to help
Sit on chair, put operative foot back as far as possible. PT said my they or my husband could help it go back; I said no (this can hurt if I push)
Put roll under ankle while sitting to encourage leg to straighten
While at sink, slight knee bends
While at sink, march
Sit on chair, bend leg up and down (this one hurts)
Straight leg raises
We have two steps: put operative leg up and lean forward

That’s about all they have me doing plus walking inside and out.
 
@InkedMarie sounds like we have similar exercises. The only comment I would add is the one sitting on a chair raising and lowering the leg...my physio said to make sure my thigh was well supported, my chair is not deep enough so I do it on the side of the bed with my thigh fully on the bed which definitely brings the pain level down.
 
@DLR thanks for the tip....my papers say nothing about supporting the thigh. Do you just use your hands or put a towel under thigh?
 
@InkedMarie i do it on the side of the bed or sitting upright in my recliner, either allow for sitting right back so the back of the knee is almost touching the seat.
 
I hate that it got merged
Marie, please read this
ONLY ONE THREAD PER MEMBER IN RECOVERY PLEASE
And the notice that was in with your recovery articles
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

What exactly is gentle exercise?
Well it's not these!
Heel slides incl using a leg lifter to help
Sit on chair, put operative foot back as far as possible. PT said my they or my husband could help it go back; I said no (this can hurt if I push)
Put roll under ankle while sitting to encourage leg to straighten
While at sink, slight knee bends
While at sink, march
Sit on chair, bend leg up and down (this one hurts)
Straight leg raises
We have two steps: put operative leg up and lean forward
Read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy for more details
 
You don't need to do any exercises. Just use your knee in your everyday activities and it will come right back all by itself.
 
@Jamie I came home with exercises and PT brought some. Are these okay?

Heel slides incl using a leg lifter to help
Sit on chair, put operative foot back as far as possible. PT said my they or my husband could help it go back; I said no (this can hurt if I push)
Put roll under ankle while sitting to encourage leg to straighten
While at sink, slight knee bends
While at sink, march
Sit on chair, bend leg up and down (this one hurts)
Straight leg raises
We have two steps: put operative leg up and lean forward

That’s about all they have me doing plus walking inside and out.

I feel some portions of the list you provided might lead to problems with pain and swelling, especially in the first couple of weeks after surgery. After all, your knee must heal first before you attempt anything like strengthening or muscle-building! The biggest part of the equation is how much of each of these you were advised to do as well as the way you do them. I had some similar exercises from my excellent therapist following both my knee replacements that I did 2-3 days a week when she came. Then I did a couple of them on my own several times a day for very short periods. The rest of my "exercise" was getting up and down from a chair or the bed and walking from room to room. After a couple of weeks, I added short periods on my recumbent bicycle with no resistance. At first I just rocked the pedals back and forth, as I couldn't do a full rotation even with the seat adjusted way back.

Here is my opinion on the list you were given:

Heel slides - I did short bursts of these in bed, lying on the couch, sitting in a chair, or on the toilet. But no one ever pushed on my leg and I never used any device to push myself. I just went to the point where the discomfort started and then extended. I did this multiple times a day for a couple of minutes, especially if my knee felt a bit tight. It was a good stretch that made me feel better.

Pull leg back while sitting in a chair - I did this throughout the day on a chair or the toilet, with 3-5 movements of my leg each time. It's also a stretch and you don't need to do a whole course of 10 or more for it to be effective. I only went as far as the point where some mild discomfort was starting, held it for maybe a count of 10 and then extended the leg again. I never used any devices to get more bend.

Roll under your ankle while sitting - You can do this if you are trying to improve extension. But again, don't go past any mild discomfort and wait a couple of weeks to start it. I found this to be really uncomfortable and instead chose (after the first 2 weeks) to lie on my tummy on the bed with my knee joint just past the edge of the bed with my lower leg extended in the air, foot pointed down. At first I could only do this leg hang for maybe 15 seconds before it started to become uncomfortable. I gradually and slowly worked up to about 10 minutes and felt this exercise plus my walking helped improve my extension.

Slight knee bends - this is what is termed a "mini or narrow squat" and it mimics the action you must have when sitting or rising from a chair. Holding on to the counter helps with stability and control. There is an image of this exercise in the article Jo linked for you (I copied it below). If you do this one, it's important to push your rear end out and keep your weight forward over your feet. I did no more than 10 and not every day. I'm not sure how beneficial this was as I was moving about each day and getting up and down.
[Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey


Marching at the sink - I would do this only when the therapist came and only in such a way so there was no pain at all. Holding on to the counter for stability was helpful for balance. Frankly, I'm not sure this exercise was all that much benefit.

Straighten leg while sitting in a chair - I did this one only when the therapist came and only after the second or third week into recovery. If you choose to do this exercise, don't make movements that hurt or do so many repetitions that you feel pain. As with the marching, I didn't feel this exercise did much for me that walking couldn't accomplish.

Straight leg raises - I didn't do this exercise at all once I left the hospital and I see no value for you in doing it. Some therapists will tell you it is to strengthen your quad muscles, but in these early weeks of recovery strengthening is not something to be worried about. That comes later 3-6 months after your surgery when your tender tissues are healed.

Leaning into your operated knee on the steps - my therapist didn't give me this exercise, but I did it on my own. I found it a good way to do a controlled bend and stretch with my new knee and, for me, it was one of my go-to movements when my knee was feeling a bit tight. I used this and short periods (2-3 minutes) on my bike primarily once the therapy visits stopped.

I was icing almost all the time both day and night which I believe helped keep the swelling down. I also did some mild massage on my leg a couple of times a day, rubbing in circular motions from the knee up to the thigh. This is called lymphatic massage and it can help move fluid (swelling) away from your knee.

Remember that your recovery is unique to you. It's important that you listen to the signals your knee is giving you about when to exercise it and when to back off a bit. The idea is to start slow with any movement or activity, wait a day or two and see what happens. If you experience pain or swelling, you're not ready for it quite yet. Stop and try it again later. Expect to have good days and bad days. Recovery is not a linear process. Most of the time any pain or swelling from over exercise or too much activity won't occur right away. In fact, your knee could feel absolutely wonderful as you're doing the activity only to swell and hurt 24-48 hours afterwards. That's your signal you overdid it and rest, ice and elevation are in order for the next day or so until you can start again at a lighter pace.

Many people do just fine with no more exercise than their activities of daily living. Others prefer some moderate, structured exercise (what we term "gentle exercises") and still others feel the need for a more aggressive approach to post-op exercise. The key to success is not really what you do (because everyone is different), it's the impact that what you're doing has on your body and how you react to that message. A few people here on BoneSmart have been able to practice what we would term very aggressive therapy and recovered just fine. Some do no activity and recover just fine. Most people are somewhere in between and just need to be mindful of any pain and swelling when it occurs and take the appropriate action (hint: it's not to push harder! :heehee:).

Best of luck to you and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have as you go along. We're here to help you.
 
@Jamie all,my exercises say 15 reps 2-3x daily. Lol once or twice and only a couple do I even do 10 seconds

Heel slides: I only use the leg lifter to start the slide. I can’t seem to start the first one

Pull back leg: I’m doing mine like you did yours. No way is anyone “helping” me

Roll under ankle: my papers say 30 min but I can’t go that long. If I continue, I will scale back

Slight knee beds: I’m doing them properly

Marching: will skip or only with PT

Straighten leg in chair: same as above

Straight leg raises: same as above

I’m icing just about any time I’m in my chair or bed....I was so cold last night. Wasn’t a good night, up twice during the night, couldn’t get warm, had to get long sleeves, sleep,was,elusive.

Today, I was still cold, I went outside twice to the sun just to get warm. By mid afternoon I was okay but now, dinnertime, I’m hot & cold again. Ceiling fan on, off. I took two Advil at 6pm and fifteen minutes later, I’m having a hot flash.

Question about moving knee: my knee doesn’t hurt, it’s the lower thigh on the inside of the knee that I feel pulling when bending. I assume this is normal?
 
The hot and cold thing has driven me (and my husband) nuts. I'm either turning the a/c up or down, ceiling fans on or off, put on long pjs at night and then have to take them off and put on something cooler. Sometimes I sleep under a sheet and 3 hours later, i'm looking for the down blanket. Some of it has to do with the icing but at other times, it makes no sense.
 
@Laurenkate glad it’s not just me. I even took my temperature, just in case but it was 99. I’m skipping the ice tonight, going to bring an extra blanket and pray for sleep!
 
Of course it's not going to be your "knee" that hurts since the arthritis is long gone and replaced by metal and plastic. Your pain is going to be in the soft tissues that are trying to heal from being manhandled during surgery. So what you're feeling is completely normal. Don't worry if you don't do the heel slides. The other movements you're doing will bend your knee enough.

When your therapist asks if you're doing your exercises as prescribed, just smile sweetly and say "You betcha!" Then go on doing your own thing. It sounds to me like you're paying attention to how you feel that that's the most important thing. Of course, it would be wrong to just sit or lie around all day, but any movement you're doing counts as "exercise," so as long as you're up and about and doing some of those "gentle" things as you feel up to it, you should be just fine.

Rather than totally skip the ice, try just piling on the blankets or use a heating pad on your midsection. Believe it or not, heating your core like that can work wonders! And then the ice is still down on your knee doing its job.
 
It hasn't been quite as bad in the past week but until then I spent most evenings with a heating pad on my thigh, ice pack on my knee and either an ice pack or another heating pad (depending on how it felt) on my calf or on my back. Didn't have this issue last time which was good since it was February and we tend to keep the house cooler rather than warmer.
 
@InkedMarie The exercises you have are very similar to those I was given during home PT. The straight leg raises while seated, I think, are what my therapists call kickouts. These really, really hurt for me, mostly on the lateral, inferior side of my patella. I am in out-patient PT now, and the therapist there tells me if it hurts to take it easier. No squats at outpatient at all. Instead, I do side steps, toe and heel raises and shift my weight from one foot to the other. They also have me stepping over low hurdles, and each session begins with easy stretches and gentle movement of my patella. This is in addition to sitting and lying stretches. Each session ends with TENS and ice. The straight leg raises and kickouts hurt the worst of any of the exercises.
 
Back
Top Bottom