TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

Oh dear! Those heavy duty painkillers sure do slow digestive transit! Another reason I swerved them this time. Now you'll understand the alternative meaning of 'this too shall pass'!.
Seriously I hope things improve soon. They will and its a great feeling.
Strong coffee and oranges?
 
Hi @Eeek the nausea seems to be leaving. Goes to show you how much of a lightweight I am: pain med before 6 am and still a little nausea. Still waiting on the other end. Wish the Mirilax would start working.

Glad I brought up the cool whip containers; a local person told me about it!
 
@Spex10 any other time I’d love the coffee but with my nausea, it doesn’t even sound appealing. I do have an orange and that sounds good....thanks for the idea
 
@InkedMarie oh dear feeling for you...it was day 4 when my bowels woke up, I took Miralax morning and evening for 2 days then turned the corner. Hope you feel better soon
 
Good morning everyone! Not much to report....my bowels finally moved a bit yesterday, not enough so I did another dose of Mirilax this morning. I took one dose of Dilaudid yesterday but I didn’t really need it. Today, I’m going to do what my surgeon suggested: Extra Strength Tylenol with Advil, Dilaudid if needed.

My husband said I’m bruised on outside of my leg, an area I can’t see. Used my phone today to take a picture...yep, I’m bruised! I’m no expert but I don’t think I’m as swollen as some people. I’m mostly elevating on my Lounge Doctor with ice machine, including in bed at night. Doing heel slides....well, trying to. This knee is stiff!

Sleep has actually been good. Last night, I went to bed at 9:30pm and never woke til 4:35 this morning! I got up and stayed up so Steve could sleep.
 
I think keeping my legs up on my Lounge Doctor at all times I wasn't on my feet (including sleeping) was one reason I never had much problem with swelling, less than lots of people. I have no scientific proof of these benefits, though.

Post-TKR bruising can be pretty fierce. Colorful, too. It was pretty shocking to poor Mr. Shoes to see his wife with black and blue legs. It does go away, thank goodness!

Sounds like you're doing really well!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey
@SusieShoes these are my legs. Is it just me or is,it not horribly swollen? I laugh when Josephine posts the questionnaire and I look at legs; mine are moderately on a regular basis lol. As far as bruising color, some might think it a new tattoo (see other leg).
 
Those are amazing tattoos. :yes: The colors are gorgeous (and also my favorites, so I'm biased). Like having happy skin.

Your knee (new) doesn't look greatly swollen. There's some swelling, but not what I'd call heavy. I think mine look moderate just because they're, well, not slender! One thing you can look forward to is more leg muscle definition, and knee definition, as you become more active again.
 
Five days post op today. Had a wonderful shower, got changed & noticed a pea size spot of blood on my bandage. My discharge instructions said to call if any green or yellow discharge; it said nothing about blood. Since my Ortho has an Acute injury clinic (in case they wanted me seen), I figured it wouldn’t hurt to call.

PA called right back and told me to change the dressing. I was kind of surprised Steve was ok with changing it but he was. All changed now, hoping for no more drainage.

Other than this, everything is fine. Happy Holiday weekend to all in the States.
 
Happy sept 1 and Labor Day weekend to you!
Your ink really is pretty. I’m a fan (chicken) but leave the tats up to hubs and son. They have 1/2 sleeves on both arms and son has both calves. I truly appreciate the artistry of a good tattoo artist.
Those fur babies at your feet look pretty happy!

Great that your pain is not bad. I’m REALLY hoping for that kind of recovery.
 
Hi @beachy I have a lot of ink. A lot lol. I hope you have little pain, too.

When my husband changed the bandage, neither one of us thought to overlap the two gauzepads. I just noticed a gap between the two when I bend my knee. Ugh. Not going to change it again but if we see more blood, I’ll make sure of an overlap.
 
I did have some spots of blood coming through in the first week or so but was assured there was nothing to worry about. So I didn't and there wasn't!
 
I just hope it doesnt open again. Not surprising, hard to bend your knee without bending the incision!
 
@InkedMarie Hi Marie, I had many Blood spots on my bandage that was on for days 2 to 8, then changed it Day 8 and there was nothing by day 15 when they removed the staples.
 
Question for whomever: I said earlier how the PA told us to change the bandage & that I neglected to have my husband overlap the two pieces of gauze.

Should we leave it go with the gap or should we replace it? I think it shifted when he replaced the tegaderm.

Tagging @Josephine since she is our nurse. Thank you!

[Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey
 
I am purposely *not* posting this in my recovery thread as it pertains to most of us.

I’ve seen a few advisors say that “gentle exercise” is fine for TKR. What exactly is gentle exercise?

Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom