Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

Sleep has been better the last two nights. I’m a right side sleeper and it’s my right knee that was replaced. Thursday night, I decided sleep was more important than elevating. So, I laid on my right side, pillow between my legs. My left leg prefers to hang over the right so I put another pillow next to my body, to support left leg. I did this the last two nights and slept a few hours in a row! I wake up, reposition to the Lounge Doctor and sleeping is better.

I wish I had done this as soon as I went to bed on Thursday....I laid in bed for 1:30, came out to recliner and nothing. At midnight I went back to bed, did the above and it worked! I didn’t wake til 6:40 am. Steve was a little late going to work. He said there was no way he was waking me up lol. I need coffee and my recliner before I function, I also needed a shower that he’s in the house for (and has to set up transfer bench) so it was 8:30 before he left.
 
I'm glad you've found a way to be comfortable lying on your side for part of the night, and you're sleeping a bit better.
 
As I have read, you get a couple decent nights of sleep then poof, not so good. That was me last night. I see an afternoon nap in my Sunday afternoon.
 
@InkedMarie so true...it’s like your mind says “Yes! I figured out what works”...then a couple days later your knee says, “haha just kidding”
Enjoy the napping
 
A question for those who have already had a TKR. I had to get out of the house so we drove to a local island which has mansions...we go looking for deer! Eight deer tonight including three fawns and a big deer with huge rack.

Anyway, we were gone for just over an hour. I was sitting in front seat with operative foot, my right, on a pillow. My knee and lower lack were so uncomfortable. Steve made a great ham dinner the other day and it was a bit uncomfortable sitting with my leg down. I assume this is normal? If it is, how long did it last for you?

I’m two weeks post op tomorrow
 
I felt like that for many months.

A lot of people were more comfortable sooner than I was. (I am usually left behind in this recovery! :bawl:)
 
Very normal to have discomfort sitting with the operative knee down. It gradually improves as the pain decreased. As I remember around the four week point there was improvement.
 
Can you sit on the back seat, with your leg elevated along the seat? That could be more comfortable.
 
@Celle I wish I could. We have a van. Third row is one seat but no way can I crawl in & out of there. Second row is just two seats. Wish I had thought ahead to buy a van with a full second row! Hubbys car is too low for me to get in & out of.
 
I'm sorry you can't do that, Marie.
How about putting several pillows in the foot well in front of your seat, so that you have a pillow stack on which you can at least partly elevate your knee?
 
That’s my next move....I had one pillow last night. Also, because my piriformis is back, I need my gel pad on,the seat. That will raise me up a bit which may help.
 
@InkedMarie i feel you pains..the car is not fun yet for me either and the piriformis issue too..but if it’s any encouragement this week was better than last week...slow changes little by little we will get through this
 
Sitting in a car for a long ride, or in a chair with feet on floor for any length of time, will be uncomfortable for most TKR patients for, oh, up to several months. I just noticed that with me it got better gradually. But for my first car trips to my sister-in-law’s house, which take an hour, I was really happy I’d bring along my ice packs for the ride, because my knees got really stiff and painful.

Do you put the seat back as far as you can go? Being able to flex the knee and move it a little during a drive really can help. As do ice packs. And definitely get your gel pad for the seat, and maybe a little lumbar support, or whatever it takes to make your back comfy. :ice:
 
This is another example of how tkrs can be so different. It bothered me to have my foot flat on the floor for a while after the replacement on my left leg. Hasn't bothered me a bit on the right leg. Can't remember how I handled it in the car but just that I propped it up a lot on a crutch when sitting for any period of time. My husband said I put the seat back as far as possible and put the back of the seat at about a 45 degree angle, sat on a pillow or two and put rolled up, old towels on the floor to lift my foot up. But like everything else with this, the feeling will pass; it just takes some time.

eta: I was just looking at my shoes and remembered something else I did when we were going to be in the car for more than 30 minutes....wore my Dansko clogs because the soles are thick and lifted my leg off the floorboard that much more. Anything with a thick sole will help.

Also forgot to mention....well done on sleeping on your right side. I couldn't sleep for months on side after the first tkr; hasn't been as bad with this one but as mentioned in another thread, my husband said getting all the pillows properly placed in the bed at night takes more planning than the D-Day invasion in France. Couldn't have gotten through either replacement without lots of different kinds of pillows.
 
Last edited:
@DLR and @Laurenkate glad I’m not the only one!

@SusieShoes yes my seat is back as far as it goes. Silly me, I never thought about the ice pack!

I’m two weeks post op today. Two weeks ago right now, at 10:13am, I was in PACU. Hard to believe. I’m icing at the moment because PT just left. I have my post op with my surgeon on Wednesday, last visit with in home PT on Thursday and outpatient PT starts next Monday. Not to worry, my PT knows how I feel about physical therapy. Nothing will hurt, all gentle.
 
@InkedMarie, what about a little step stool on the floor of the vehicle to put your foot on, as a way of elevating it in the front seat? Just thinking out loud. Hope all is well, been meaning to pm you. I work second shift and I am usually up til 2-3 a.m. So, if you find yourself unable to sleep and wanna chat feel free to message me! :)
 
Hi @Neehutchy ! We tried a stool but it puts my leg up so hi I hit the glovebox. I’m going to need my gel cushion anyway, hope being a little higher will help.

Hush your mouth on not sleeping lol! I’m doing decent...I did wake up at 11:30 last night, used bathroom but couldn’t fall asleep again as knee was pretty achy. I took two Dilaudid and slept til 6:15!

My post op is tomorrow; I’ll message you in case you’re online.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey [Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey I had my two week post op appointment this morning. The bandage is gone. He didn’t measure, just eye-balled it and said I’m 85/5. Said to work on getting it flat. I start outpatient PT on Monday. I’ve worked with him before and he knows how I feel. The doc said to go easy the first two weeks at PT. I go back in a month to see his PA.

Edit: sorry for double photos
 
Last edited:
just eye-balled it and said I’m 85/0. Said to work on getting it flat.
If your extension is 0, your knee is already flat! I don't know why your OS would tell you that. To have a flat knee at 2 weeks out is outstanding. Many of us found getting that extension to come in was much worse and took longer than the flex. Good going!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom