TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

I bet you'll be more sore than usual so ice and elevate all this evening and night.
 
So my forgetting to kick my leg out while lowering to the toilet hasn’t helped things. Sleeping last night was horrible, ended up taking two Dilaudid at 1:30am and got a few hours after that. I think my bend is worse since but my husband says it’s all in my pessimistic head!

Let this be a lesson: kick that leg out before lowering anywhere!
 
Marie, it's far too soon to be worried about your bend. It will come. gradually, as your knee heals and the swelling goes down.
You have all the time in the world.

There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
@Celle I meant bend is worse from yesterday before this happened. I had noticed an improvement. Just discouraging...mad at myself for doing it in the first place!
 
You will have lots of increases and losses of ROM as you go through this recovery. That’s why it is referred to as a rollercoaster. Accept that fact now and don’t worry about it. Gradually your bend will return, in Time.

What you are feeling now is just like what it feels like when a PT forces your knee to bend. Been there, done that.
 
@InkedMarie laughing at your description but feeling your pain...oh the silly things we do without thinking as we feel okay then our knee yells “what do you think you’re doing”
 
Hi @InkedMarie

As I recall we had our TKR on the same day. It sounds like you are doing well. I am not yet at 0 extension. That is the bit that hurts the most when in PT - just letting my knee drop with gravity as my foot is elevated

Glad to see you making good progress!
 
Hi @Nuknee2018 yes we had ours the same day! I’m not zero either, the surgeon eyeballed itmat 85/5 earlier this week. I try at home to do the gravity thing, once a day but it’s very painful (bakers cyst, swelling, bruising?) and I can’t do it for long, a couple minutes. I’m not too worried, Time will get me there. Eventually!

How are you doing?
 
Hi @DLR I’m okay. I was pretty sore last night but better today. Icing & elevating was the name of the game for the weekend.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DLR
I’m not sure who can help with this, I can’t figure it out in my profile. I’d like to have my knee recovery thread and my hip recovery thread (renamed Marie’s Second hip recovery) put into my signature.

Thanks!
 
Today is my three week post op! I “celebrated” by having my first outpatient PT. My husband took me and stayed. It went fine. Started out by having a little heat on my knee via warm towlels; felt so good! I like that my therapist explains what he wants to do then he asks me if I’m comfortable doing that. If I say yes, we continue. He stops if I say stop. We did stretching including one for my piriformis. Knock on wood...I’ve been fine since. He got me on the recumbent bike. No full rotations, just rocking back & forth.

I’m walking unaided inside but taking my cane when I venture out. I havent gone to many places, usually just as a passenger to get me out of the house. I did go to a few aisles of a small grocery store (lamb chops on sale...yum!) but that’s been it. I assume it’s normal to be tired at this early stage of my recovery.

Sleeping hasn’t been so good so we picked up some magnesium maleate. Going to give that a try. Last night I was so tired; I get into bed & my legs start becoming restless.

That’s about it!
 
Good for you, getting out and about! Yes, being tired is definitely normal at your stage of recovery. I was exhausted for a good three months (bilateral, so that might be part of it). I took so many afternoon naps I thought i’d turned into my grandma. :nah: A single outing can wipe out a person’s daily energy supply when they’re in early TKR recovery.

Hope the magnesium maleate helped your sleep last night! :sleep:
 
Marie, please let me know if the magnesium works for your RLS. Hubs is kicking and banging his legs all night. I'd like to purchase it for him.
Happy about your PT! :yes!:
 
While the magnesium helped the restless legs, it did not help me sleep :(
 
I know we’re all different but I’m three weeks yesterday and walking unaided. It feels weird when I walk. I wish I could describe it but it’s just strange, doesn’t feel normal.

Anyone else feel weird walking in the early weeks?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom