TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

Went to bed and was asleep by 9:30pm....slept without waking til 2:30. Unfortunately I was unable to fall back asleep, laid there til 4:45 and I’m up having my coffee. Supposed to have a 3pm PT appointment today but will have to cancel that. I will need to try to nap this afternoon but if I set my clock to wake up in time, I won’t even sleep. Oh well, will hope for Thursday!
 
@InkedMarie not fun those interrupted nights...there is hope I finally turned the corner last week ... rest today ...I must say I am thankful to be retired for this recovery, naps are so necessary
 
No earlier PT appointments available today or Thursday. I kept the 3pm appointment that day; hope I sleep the night before. Rescheduled the next two weeks ones for morning. Thankful Steve’s job is one he can come and go.
 
InkedMarie... How are you doing? My surgery is one week from today. And I was thinking of you...
 
Hi @schpooko ! I’m better right now.....took a 1.5 hour nap after being up since 2:30am.

How are you? Are you ready?
 
Hi, Marie. Great to hear that you are doing good. Napping always helps the leg, the mind and the soul... I am anxious but seem to be getting a little more used to the idea that next week at this time it will be hopefully all over and on my way to recovery. (I don't know what time my surgery is I will find out on Friday) And I am working on last minute things to make it easier on my family. Thanks for asking...
 
Keep in mind that your surgery time can change even the day of. Happened for my hips. I was scheduled a week before for his first for my knee and knew that wouldn’t change after the Friday before.

Good luck! Make sure you have whatever you’re using for ice ready before you go to the hospital!
 
@InkedMarie well I must say I’m feeling more pain than I anticipated. Dang girl this hurts. I am taking the medication. I am not going to stress over trying to exercise this knee right now. It’s not all bruised up but there’s a lot of swelling at the knee .still I am trying to keep ice on it as much as I can, I bought the ice cuff you reccomended to put on it. pretty consistent during the day. use the 12 x 18 lies gel thing at night, and when I get to sleep it’s all good I do not ever want to P again in my life. But I am kind of walking OK with a walker, but I don’t have much flexibility right now if any . This thing is very painful compared to the hip. But I know this too shall pass. Hope yours is getting increasingly better every day along with your hip
 
Cipankau, your surgery is still early on, and I feel your pain. Just hold on cause it does get better. At 18 days out I dropped the oxy and am just on Tylenol, and pain is less than 5 all the time. So stay positive, n keep telling yourself the pain I have now is a good pain that will get better, where the pain pre surgery would just have gotten worse. Something I have held on presurgery to calm those nerves down right up to today.
 
Inked I just noticed you had one knee done then the other about 7 weeks later. That’s stepping up to the plate girl.. Not gonna be so brave as that , as was considering pulling the trigger in early Dec. for right, but decided to let this bad boy get about 6 months healing in before doing right. Heck by then you’ll be running up n down the street.
 
@clpankau so sorry you’re hurting. I hope that gets better. If you can, use the ice machine at night. It was a big help for me during the night when swelling was still an issue.
I’m doing okay, if I could sleep, I’d be doing much better!

@Softtail i had a hip done then my knee 8weeks later. Wish I had waited to let my hip heal more but too late now. My other knee needs to be done and I’m tentatively thinking about June. If this not sleeping doesn’t resolve soon, I’m waiting much longer.
 
Inked not sleeping sucks, as I am starting to experience a bit more as I cut back on pain meds. Wish I didn’t have to add in my RLS to add to this problem ,but it sure reared it’s ugly head last night. Just gotta find a way to deal with it and here’s to all of us getting a good nights sleep soon.
 
First Harley 1998. Chopped it out then got old and bought a full dresser. Just put it away for winter, since my leg would have a hard time keepin it upright lol. Pretty sure now am dealing with some withdrawals from 30 mg. Of oxy down to 10 or less. Hope my body adjusts to the lesser amount that I need for my RLS. Fortunately my pain index has decreased to between 1 and3 so justusing some small amounts of oxy. Hope you get some sleep tonight inked. Probably update my sleep story tomorrow.
 
I SLEPT!

I put 1ml of the CBD oil under my tongue and took one Nature’s Bounty Bi-Level Melatonin (one level to put you to sleep, other to keep you asleep). It took awhile to fall asleep because I couldn’t get comfortable but once I did, I slept for 6hrs 15 min, straight! Really hope this keeps up as I can’t continue with so little sleep.
 
I just read your whole recovery. Thought I may have missed the reason that you didn’t have terrible pain.
Did you do anything different as far as pain or were you just lucky with the pain? You iced almost constantly right? And used the lounge doc a lot?

You seemed to have had your fair share of discomfort with not sleeping, nausea and piriformis.
 
Hi @beachy ! I don’t know why I didn’t have pain. I waited for it at the hospital but it didn’t come. I took two Dilaudid every 4-5hrs at the hospital and at home til the morning of day four. I did not wake myself up during the night at home to take it. I was just lucky.

I did ice almost 24/7 for the first two weeks. I iced overnight for the first ten days. I still ice often at home. I have my feet on my Lounge Doctor right now! Piriformis is much better thanks to pt. Hopefully the CBD nd melatonin continue to help with sleep
 
Little update. Went to PT today. Asked to be measured, since no one has. 95/3. I admit, I was hoping for triple digits. It’s so stiff and tight!

While at PT, I made full rotations of the recumbent bike, both front& back!
 
Back
Top Bottom