TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

Can one of the advisors post the “chart” where someone here gained ROM, how much at what timeframe?
Thanks!
 
One of our members, Bertschb, kept a record of his ROM process. He agreed for us to post it for those of you that are afraid you're stuck. The key is to have patience! Bertschb says:

I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

And this one:

(Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yes
 
Five week update. Doing okay, knee is so stiff but I know it’ll get better.

The week before last was my total week from heck. It was the week that I’d literally sleep in minute segments. I started CBD oil/Bi-Level Melatonin seems to be helping. I’m still having a hard time falling asleep; I can be fine all day, get to bed and I get uncomfortable. Eventually I fall asleep but I actually sleep for an hour at a time, at least, or more, not minutes at a time.

Saturday we went to friends. We were outside but my husband brought my ice machine, extension cord and Lounge Doctor. I iced twice, elevated when I could but bathroom had to be walked to, dinner put on a plate and eaten....I’ve said before that I have a hard time sitting with feet down so the 40 min ride there and home plus feet down while there once again put me in the “Over Sat it Club”. I paid for that Saturday night and most of the day yesterday. I will be glad when sitting doesn’t do this. I’d like to go see a movie!

Today is my first day driving. I practiced yesterday and was fine. Obviously driving far isn’t happening since having my legs down hurt but I just want to drive myself the 5min drive to PT so my husband can stay at work.
 
That feet on the floor thing can take a long time for some of us. I found a small pillow on the floor of the car was actually helpful, it’s amazing how every little inch higher can help.

When I was out somewhere and sitting I would angle my cane out from me and put my foot up on that. That helped but the hard cane against my leg got uncomfortable after a while. I’ll have to devise a cushion for that next time.
 
Do you have a local movie theater with recliner seats?
 
@InkedMarie sitting with feet down is my problem too. I have a fold up vinyl cube about 18 in square from my front hall I take with me and a pillow. Yesterday at church a person asked about it and I simply said if I sat with my feet down for the whole service it would take me 2 days to recover, it’s not worth it, they agreed! But to give you hope week 6 is bringing the need for less ice and less meds and more sleep. Hope that will prove true for you too.
For me I wish I could go out to a restaurant with friends but right now I like one side of the booth to myself so I can turn sideways and put my leg up..probably would look funny if I made my husband squish in the other side with another couple while I lounge on my side:heehee:. Thinking of you
 
@beachy ours has very comfy seats but they don’t recline. Thanks @Jockette and @DLR . I have a pillow under my feet in the car but it’s still uncomfortable. You gave me an idea...maybe. I have a square block thing that I used when I tried yoga. If I can find it, it may help.
 
Getting out and about on one's own is good for the spirit! Sitting with feet down was something that came later for me, too. Around four months or so before I could sit for a long meal (hour +) without having to get up and work out the stiffness. Same with sitting on the sofa; I was happy for a borrowed ottoman.

Your foam block idea sounds like a good one to try!
 
InkedMarie, I haven't read your whole thread so I may have missed this...Many, probably most, people have sleep issues post surgery. I assumed pain was the cause, but apparently that's not so with you, or not so much. I'll be having surgery soon-ish and am curious about what's keeping people up with insomnia--if there's any common denominator. I'm a wreck without sleep!
 
@hegel I’m not really sure what causes our sleep issues. I can be fine all day, get in bed and can’t find a comfortable spot. Sometimes, my leg feels a little achy so I take pain meds but to me, achy and pain aren’t the same thing.
 
I’m whining so feel free to ignore. This week, my piriformis syndrome is killing me. This hurts so much. It’s better when I’m walking but I can only walk so much in the house, raining again today and can’t drive very far yet. Sitting is agony. Monday and today, the PTA did some deep massage with his thumbs, said I was very tight. He also did some piriformis stretches. I have some that can be done laying down but unfortunately, I can’t do them yet because of the new knee. I have a chiropractic appointment tomorrow, wondering if she can help.

Tuesday night, I was asleep by 9pm. Woke up at midnight, back to sleep til 4am..up for the day. I was ok with that because I got seven hours of sleep.

Last night....Still awake at 2:15am. Came to couch, read...nothing. Fell asleep some time after 2:15, up at 5:15am. Ordered a weighted blanket, will be here tomorrow and hope it helps.

Sorry for the whining!
 
Oh @InkedMarie i am so sorry you are having such a rough time. I hope the chiropractor can help. No need to apologize most of us have and probably will again whine. This is a hard recovery journey. Thinking of you.
 
I’m sorry you feel so bad. :console2:
Why do you want a weighted blanket? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of one.
 
Darn that piriformis!
Let us know how the weighted blanket works. I see them advertised on Pinterest all the time.
 
Thanks ladies! I realize all this is minor compared to a new hip and knee but still irritating.
@Jockette i did some research on insomnia and weighted blankets come up. They apparently can help with anxiety and restless legs. Kind of like swaddling a baby, a Thundershirt for a dog....they’re used for kids who have outbursts, elderly at homes who have anxiety"..
 
In addition to 2 pretty big surgeries the last thing you need is piri pain and insomnia!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom