Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

Absolutely. I kind of had to re-learn some of the sensations of walking. The knees felt different. My balance was just a hair off (not badly); I had bilateral replacements, so maybe my balance issue was different from a single TKR, or maybe not. I found it difficult to look to the side and still walk without a wobble. I definitely couldn't look over my shoulder. Wobble for sure. The knees felt solid, stable, secure, steady... and strange. Just a little strange. I needed to get used to them.

It didn't take long at all to get used to them. A month or so. It took longer for me to work through the balance and wobble issues. After a few months of things feeling more and more normal it all got back to where it feels natural.
 
Thanks @SusieShoes I should also mention that my still new hip also feels strange. I’ve said before that I wish I had waited more than eight weeks between replacements but too late now!

I just got my afternoon coffee and it’s almost like the knee crunches and I feel something slightly tight right above the knee cap.
 
Your knee is going to surprise you with how many oddball clunks, clicks, twinges, zings and other sensations it will throw at you. Part of it is that we're hyper-aware of our new body parts, and quite protective of it. We fear our new knee(s) might be fragile or easily broken. Mr. Shoes has only recently gotten over being fearful of bumping them, or wanting to take me to the ER with every "Ouch!" (Once upon a time "Is that your knees? Is something wrong?" were everyday questions.)

And then there's that as our swelling goes down in some places and not others, the knee moves more freely, or at least differently, and produces "new-to-us" sensations that set off alarm bells. What's that?!? Is it a sign of disaster? :flabber: Usually, it's nothing. But we can be forgiven for letting the thought cross our minds.
 
@Jockette When did walking feel mostly normal?
Oh, I’m not a good one to ask. I had a partial, a Patellofemoral, and I am very unhappy with it. It has never felt right. I am now 18 months, and my ROM is the only thing improving. Honestly, it’s better now than it was even at my one year checkup. All my other issues have not changed in the last year or so.

I have what I suspect is a nerve issue on the lower lateral side that I honestly don’t think another surgery will fix and I fear it could make it worse.

So, to finally answer your question, if you watched me walk you would probably think I walk fine, I do the movements well, but I am always very aware of a discomfort in the knee any time I am weight bearing.

I still need to use a cane if I’m on an uneven surface, like grass.

My partial has obviously not been a success, though 2 surgeons don’t agree or just won’t do any further testing to see what really is the problem.
 
I haven’t read your recovery thread @Jockette , too many pages. I didn’t realize you were having all those issues. I assume you've had a second or third opinion? Would a total solve the problems?
 
I had a second opinion and it was very disappointing. He took my notes away from me and said just tell me. I saw him maybe 15 minutes, maybe a bit longer. I didn’t get to discuss hardly anything.

I have not yet attempted a third opinion. I’m not totally convinced another surgery would make my nerve issue better and I fear it would upset it further and I sure don’t need that.

I’m also not totally convinced my nerve issue is the whole problem, so a total replacement could improve some things, maybe. Right now I’m afraid to try.

I’m limited, but doing ok for the moment. I figure eventually something is going to “snap” and then the surgeon’s will have to take me seriously.
 
Thanks :console2:

Definitely not the way I thought this would go.
 
Has anyone experienced nausea off & on, when off narcotics? It’s strange but all of a sudden I’ll feel queasy. No narcotics, no Vit C (that did make me sick & surgeon told me not to bother).
 
I will be four weeks tomorrow. Whirlwind for sure! This past week has been horrible. 3 hours, give or take and not all at one time, of sleep a night. It all came to a head yesterday. I was exhausted, felt sick, felt crappy, cried half the day, missed a birthday party because I could not go. Just couldn’t.

I didn’t think I slept better but I woke up feeling better. We went out for breakfast, drove to one of our favorite wineries. Nice when you call to make sure they’re open and they ask how you are. One of the owners moved her car out back so I could walk up two steps. Bought wine, stopped for apples and pumpkins and ice cream!

I didn’t over do it but I did over sat it lol. I’m home and icing now, so worth it.

Hoping for a better week this week.
 
I didn’t think I slept better but I woke up feeling better. We went out for breakfast, drove to one of our favorite wineries. Nice when you call to make sure they’re open and they ask how you are. One of the owners moved her car out back so I could walk up two steps. Bought wine, stopped for apples and pumpkins and ice cream!

I didn’t over do it but I did over sat it lol. I’m home and icing now, so worth it.
I’m glad you had a nice outing!
 
Thanks ladies! It was such a great day. Hoping for more sleep this week. I’m in NH and we have a mix of fall weather then Sumer (hot & humid). Really looking forward to the fall days. Even though I think I suffer from SAD, fall is my favorite time of the year.
 
I am considering a light box for SAD. My PCP suggested it and she showed me the one on her desk. Oh boy...another Amazon delivery LOL
I start to panic when I see a brown leaf on the ground!
 
SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder. The winter blues.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom