TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

10 weeks and feeling restless. Trying to find the balance between not too much and just enough activities. I think part of my restlessness and inability to sleep is because I'm bored and not active enough. When I try to increase my activity level, I pay the price, but I'm not sure how much of that is my tendency to play the victim. Pain and lack of energy become an excuse for doing nothing except sitting around watching tv with my leg elevated and an ice pack every two hours. The less I do, the less motivated I become. Please forgive the ramblings of this over thinking mind. Time to turn off the tv and go do something. Sigh!
 
Pain and lack of energy become an excuse for doing nothing except sitting around watching tv with my leg elevated and an ice pack every two hours
Pain and lack of energy, all normal, are not the excuse, they are the reason that you are wisely resting with ice and elevation to give your knee the best condition in which to heal. :console2:

And yes, you are over thinking it, but so do most of us. It’s hard not to when our knee makes it’s presence so obviously known. :console2:
 
So this may sound like a weird question... It seems having an artificial joint raises a concern about not having any kind of bacteria enter the body. To what degree is this a concern? Do I need antibiotic every time I cut my finger? are there concerns around having pets like cats, birds, ferrets and turtles (known carriers)? What are examples of what would constitute a concern requiring antibiotics (apart from dental work)?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't shave my legs for the first month, and when I asked the PA if I could shave my legs now he just laughed. No one ever asked me about pets. So I would say don't worry about it. Mouth bacteria is a different animal and a known risk so some OS do prescribe meds before dental procedures.
 
Although we’re all naturally concerned about the possibility our joint implants (of any sort) can become infected, here’s something to consider: Our bodies are ALREADY occupied by all kinds of bacteria. Bacteria are living inside us and more get in every day. We breathe them in and eat them in and they enter through tiny breaks in our skin. All the time. There's no avoiding this.

Bacteria find a way into our bodies every day.

Our new joints are only slightly more at risk from these new bacteria than most of the rest of our body parts and at much less risk than some parts. The skin is most at risk. Our guts are more at risk as are our mouths and nasal passages. It comes down to common sense precautions.

Small cuts in the skin aren't very risky for knees or other joints. If that were the case, we would have to freak out over mosquito bites, kitchen nicks, and paper cuts. Treat as usual and move on. Bigger cuts elsewhere on the body are not big problems either. Our immune systems kill most invaders and those that do get in aren't likely to be headed straight for our knees. Treat as usual. Our bodies will take care of them, too.

A big wound or deep gash on the knee, of course, you might be concerned about. In that case, call the OS and ask about whether you need to take precautions. Chances are such wounds won't hurt your knee either.

Needles introduced into the knee DO carry risk (not just for TKR, but ANY knee), so unless those are really needed, it's best not to inject a knee replacement or use a needle to drain the knee. Physicians who do this are aware of the risk, so they will take precautions.
 
Although we’re all naturally concerned about the possibility our joint implants (of any sort) can become infected, here’s something to consider: Our bodies are ALREADY occupied by all kinds of bacteria. Bacteria are living inside us and more get in every day. We breathe them in and eat them in and they enter through tiny breaks in our skin. All the time. There's no avoiding this.

Bacteria find a way into our bodies every day.

Our new joints are only slightly more at risk from these new bacteria than most of the rest of our body parts and at much less risk than some parts. The skin is most at risk. Our guts are more at risk as are our mouths and nasal passages. It comes down to common sense precautions.

Small cuts in the skin aren't very risky for knees or other joints. If that were the case, we would have to freak out over mosquito bites, kitchen nicks, and paper cuts. Treat as usual and move on. Bigger cuts elsewhere on the body are not big problems either. Our immune systems kill most invaders and those that do get in aren't likely to be headed straight for our knees. Treat as usual. Our bodies will take care of them, too.

A big wound or deep gash on the knee, of course, you might be concerned about. In that case, call the OS and ask about whether you need to take precautions. Chances are such wounds won't hurt your knee either.

Needles introduced into the knee DO carry risk (not just for TKR, but ANY knee), so unless those are really needed, it's best not to inject a knee replacement or use a needle to drain the knee. Physicians who do this are aware of the risk, so they will take precautions.
thank you for this response. I recently had to take a course of antibiotic because of a suspected middle ear infection that may or may not be bacterial. I suspect this was unnecessary but my surgeon didn't want to take a chance at 4 weeks post surgery.
 
I recently had to take a course of antibiotic because of a suspected middle ear infection that may or may not be bacterial. I suspect this was unnecessary but my surgeon didn't want to take a chance at 4 weeks post surgery.

He was being cautious. The very early days after surgery, when your knee's tissues are inflamed, might be attractive to bacteria in the bloodstream. People will go back and forth about whether your knee was at risk, but you certainly can't blame the surgeon's intent. He was looking out for you!
 
not feeling well today. Knee was really stiff when I woke up this morning. I could hardly move. I took an OTC sleep aid last night as recommended by the pharmacist. I still didn't get to sleep till about 3 a.m. and was in and out till 9:00 a.m. My head feels heavy, almost headache and I have an upset stomach. ugh! going back to bed.
 
:console2: I hope you feel better when you wake up.
 
I recently had to take a course of antibiotic because of a suspected middle ear infection that may or may not be bacterial. I suspect this was unnecessary but my surgeon didn't want to take a chance at 4 weeks post surgery.
Yes, your doctor was being careful, but not just because of your TKR. A full-blown middle ear infection is really painful and it can linger for quite a while. If taking an antibiotic could help prevent that from getting worse, I'd sure take the antibiotic!

Current opinion is that it's not necessary to take antibiotics prophylactically for dental work:
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

Try not to worry too much about the possibility of getting an infection in your TKR. Just take the sensible precautions that SusieShoes recommended. When you think about the thousands of people who have knee replacements, relatively few of them develop an infection in the joint.
 
Felt nauseous most of the day but apart from that it's been a good day. Visited the grandkids for a bit. Went for a short walk twice and then for another that was three times longer than the usual without any problems. One third of it carrying my cane but not using it, the whole of it without pain. Cautiously optimistic!
 
Marguette, I hadn’t needed my cane for approximately week 1/2 now, but...... today, omg, I don’t know if it’s the damp weather or the laundry I did yesterday but my knee is ohhhh soooo stiff and painful. Will the cycle ever end? I’m soooo happy for you Ms Lady! Send some optimism to your friend from the South please? Happy Hopeful Hugs to you!
 
Marguette, I hadn’t needed my cane for approximately week 1/2 now, but...... today, omg, I don’t know if it’s the damp weather or the laundry I did yesterday but my knee is ohhhh soooo stiff and painful. Will the cycle ever end? I’m soooo happy for you Ms Lady! Send some optimism to your friend from the South please? Happy Hopeful Hugs to you!
Hi Needhope. I hear you.. Could hardly move this morning. Leg felt like it was encased in concrete and the pain was the worse in weeks. Yes, I do believe the weather plays a role but hey... be thankful we don't live in Newfoundland... they had 30 cm (6 inces) of snow this past week. Helps to have a sense of humour. Things are slowly improving as the day goes on and I have just learned that I return to work on June 18. Hopefully, I will be able to handle it as I am starting to get bored with being at home. Hope your day is improving. Hugs!
 
Snow and ice are awful for TKR’s. That’s my horror story from my right TKR this past September. Since I live in CT, we had an early winter appearance and a late exit this April, just in time for my left TKR. I’m bored out f my mind. But at this day, can’t imagine having to work. It wouldn’t be possible. I go back June 27. I pray by that date I’ll be ok. My last TKR I went back Jan 2 2018. I struggled, but did it for almost a month before poop hit the fan with employer. Needless to say, LTKR ultimately done in April, not a planned surgery. I’ve come to realize that age has no bearing on recovery. I’ve actually read more positive outcomes from people who are older than me. Don’t know why that is, but it seems to be true. Go figure. I wish I could have waited years longer. Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks for correspondence. It means a lot to not feel so alone.
 
Hi again. I was just reading your thread. It sounds like you have had a terrible time of it; and surgeries back to back has got to be difficult. At 10 weeks post-op, I can't even imagine wanting to do this again. Hopefully, you will start to feel better soon and take advantage of the summer as much as possible. From reading other post, the turn around point is between three and four months. I sure hope so. Keeping you in my thoughts and sending you positive energy. You only have one thing to concern yourself with and that is to do whatever is needed to take care of yourself with gentleness and compassion. The only constant is change. Things will get better.
 
What a weird day. Started the day with swelling and stiffness; rested most of the day; and now going to bed with swelling and stiffness. It feels like I've lost all the strength in my leg. Hoping for a better day tomorrow. Good night all!
 
I hope you have a good day today. My knee felt like yours yesterday as well. It’s not so bad today. We shall see.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom