Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

Thanks KarriB. I'm going back to work on June 18 at 13 weeks post-op. I work from home and only 3 days a week so it shouldn't be too bad but I also get energy drains 2 - 3 times a day. I'm a little concerned about the amount of time I have to sit, an hour at a time, in consultation with clients, 2 - 3 clients back to back. Nonetheless, I count myself very fortunate to have been off this long and to be doing as well as I am. Not everyone is so fortunate.
 
Another good day, mostly. Only 4 hours of sleep so tired today. Went shopping so about half hour to 45 min walking slowly and with the cart for support. Half an hour at the pool but took it easy. A bit of pain tonight but not bad. I think I will get a pedometer to start setting some goals. Just over 11 weeks post-op and tarting to feel better. Started taking probiotics today to counter some of the onslot of medications and restore the gut flora. I hope that's ok. I haven't found anything to suggest it's contraindicated. Movie time!
 
Knee is not happy tonight. I guess it didn't like shopping. Sigh!
 
Knees are such drama queens sometimes. Mine sure is!
 
I'm a little concerned that my bend is not improving at all despite reduce swelling and regular exercise. I think it's still at 95 which is what it was at 6 weeks. Still can't improve on the heal slide. Should I be thinking about a follow-up with my surgeon?
 
If it was me I would wait. There is no rush to regain ROM, even though it seems most people think there is. There is no window of opportunity.

We all want those higher numbers. They will come in time.
 
Not concerned about the number. Just want to be able to increase ADL and particularly, be able to get in and out of the bathtub.
 
Well it’s kind of all the same thing. The higher the number the more bend you have which gives you the ability to do more.

Same answer, it will come in time. 11 weeks is early days! 1/4 the way of an approximate year long recovery.
 
well I managed to get a step tracker app and found out that my daily walk is 0.12 miles or 291 steps. I was able to do it twice today and did my daily exercise in the pool. Tonight, the knee is doing pretty good but here I am at 3:00 A.m. unable to sleep. Hitting the 12 week mark in a few days and I must say that there is improvement in how I'm feeling overall. A long ways to go with the knee but starting to feel like I can do this. Good night all. Hugs!
 
Lots of stiffness tonight and my foot feels like it's on fire. The local pool closed for a month. Went to another but not nearly as good a facility with limited access. Didn't sleep much last night. Hoping to do better tonight.
 
Hi Marguette was just reading your last couple of posts. I had my TKR 1 day after you and even though I have had an MUA my Rom is still similar to yours and my OS wasn't the least inclined to intervene again. He told me to go home and not to worry about my knee, just get on with life, do what I can and come back and see him in 4 months. Sleeping and stiffness etc. seems pretty similar to you as well so I'd say we're both on the right track but just at our own pace.
I'm still awake all hours of the night playing solitaire and whatever else interests me at the time. For the first time in my life I'm staying in bed until after 8 am in the morning and not feeling guilty about it. I am feeling better overall as well but still realise there is a long way to go.
 
Hi Relle
Glad to hear You are progressing well. This past week has certainly been a big improvement as I have resolved a number of issues.: No more nausea, etc., pain is manageble and mostly stiffness, increased sleep from 3 hrs to 5 hrs per night, and wrote a letter to my OS telling him how I felt my meds were mismanaged and I wanted at least one follow-up within the first year. It may not do any good but I feel better for having set the record straight in a very respectful way, acknowledging the good care I did receive. I'm still not sure I would do this again but I am starting to think I can live with the outcome. Going back to work in a few weeks. Looking forward to a more normal routine. A person can only watch so much tv. Thank you for sharing your story. It really helps to you you are not alone.
 
Seeing as your pool is closed for a month, why not take a month-long break from water exercises and try some other exercises. Walking is good (and free!). If you have access to an indoor bike, that's excellent for knees. Or simply do your daily activities for a month and see how that goes.

Your knee will continue to gain more flexion and strength as you return to doing more of your normal and usual activities. Doing more stairs. Walking more. Just getting on with life and letting nature take its course. I was surprised by the flexion I gained during the last several months.
 
Hi SusieShoes
Thanks for your great suggestions. I have to admit, I don't enjoy walking that much. My dog, a pug name Cleo, doesn't tolerate the heat which is why our walks are very short. I live a very sedentary life and swimming has always been my go to exercise. it's not so much about exercise these days but an alternative to not being able to take a bath. I live alone so I can't risk getting in the tub and not be able to get out. I have pondered the possibility and have to laugh at the thought of calling the fire department to rescue me. :laughing. I agree with focusing more on ADL and will be quite happy to do so once I can take a bubble bath. I don't have access to a stationary bike at the moment. Thought of buying one second hand but no way of getting it home. Will keep working on that one. Have a great day.
 
Good news... got a response to my letter from my OS, who offered me a follow-up appointment at my discretion. Booked something for the six month anniversary in September.
 
Don't know if it's the weather or what but increased level of pain this afternoon. Not only my operated knee but also my "good"" left knee. ah! hints of things to come.
 
Got to sleep ok tonight but woke up three hours later with my leg in pain. It felt like a pinched nerve at the back of my leg. Spent the last hour elevated with ice. It helped a bit but here we are again with little to no sleep. My hip feels stressed and the patella is hurting. It's preventing me from going back to sleep. Of course, I have an appointment in the morning.
 
As if dealing with recovery wasn't enough, just had cancerous cells removed from the bridge of my nose. Between the freezing, removal and cauterization, etc., I feel like I've been hit in the face with a baseball bat. No swimming until it is healed, from 2 - 6 weeks. Oh Joy!
 
Oh no! :groan:I’m sorry you have yet another issue to deal with.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom