Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Mar2016 - Right Knee Objecting Now<

Since VTherandnow posted on this and brought it up to the top, I enjoyed reading your journey about your knee. Ironically, I have been posting about my knee, non operated one. Not sure what path my knee will take me, inclined to believe it is from the "compensating" but who knows. I know I have arthritis in my left knee (operated leg) but not bad enough for surgery. I had a cortisone shot nearly 3 years ago and it's been fine since. Won't surprise me to have arthritis in my right knee, but the pain/discomfort is not the same. Also, since I was limping so badly from my left hip, I am sure my right side took a major hit. Glad things have worked out for you with the arthroscopy. I have a 24 year old son, right in the range of your children. Between him and my husband, they have helped me tremendously.
 
@Nivea.
I think one of the important things I have learned on this Journey is that we or rather I need to realise that what's really important in life are the things we take for granted in health such as family and friends.
So happy for you with those 2 strong men to take you through to your healthy life.
Another thing is to tackle things head on. If your knee keeps bothering you then tackle it like you did that hip.
And thanks for reading my excuse for a thread.
Keep Well.
Joe........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Irish Joe - noticed you were a man of wisdom so read your thread - very encouraging. I was so chuffed to see you got on your bike after this! My plan is a long hike on the Dingle Peninsula when I'm able. Did the Dublin marathon in 2002 and then went walking for a bit around Dingle. It helps me to have a goal though I'm always willing to tweak it. Today my goal is to lie down mostly!
 
@labanan.
Thank you for reading my thread (such that it is).
Dingle is truly beautiful and you will indeed walk it.
We are connected in that we have Stepped those exact same Dublin streets. I have done many Dublin Marathons.
Get Well. You and everyone on a recovery journey.
Joe.........
 
Joe. You help ALOT of us on this forum and do hope that it is nice to have a little cheerleading section. I hope to explore the site a little more, not sure I navigate things correctly and can follow people like I want. Little ignorant to chat forums. I hope sharing my experiences will one day help newbies...hey, it was only one week ago yesterday they cut my legs off and the journey seems to have lasted so long like ive been here forever. Good tbing is it IS getting better every day
Thanks to all.. Hope you are well.
 
Dia Dhaoibh Chairde Bonesmart. Conas ata sibh ?
Hello Bonesmart Friends. How are you all ?
I'm prompted to update my thread when someone posts here. Thanks a lot MOJO. ( I'm tempted to say something nasty in Irish that can't be auto Edited ).
@Mojo333 I am only too happy to encourage others on the journey to better health as I was assisted when it was needed by people on this this forum. There are 2 in particular (no need for names) who helped me through a very challenging time.
I have indeed come a long way physically and psychologically since that day in early March 2016 when I screamed at the physio to put me back in the bed when I had stood up for the first time.
I had again 2 appointments in the last week at the clinic. One was the 6 week knee arthroscopy check up. And the other was a wee look at the hips while your here.
The good news is that the hips are fine as I knew they were and the knee continues to improve weekly. The surgeon believes that the Arthroscopy in my case should have a very good outcome as it was just in one compartment and he Tidied it up well. I'm effectively discharged in both cases.
I tell you this quite honestly My Recovery was far from quick or what others might call normal.
I was on 2 Crutches for ages.
I was on 1 Crutch for ages.
My Gait was terrible for ages. (and sneaks back sometimes).
My Knee annoyed me like a nuisance that wouldn't go away.
My Back hurt.(and sneaks back sometimes).
I worried for my future.
At times I became Psychologically Fragile.
BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I GOT BETTER.
That's why when I promise people on this forum that they will get better I mean it.
Sinn Sceal Fada. Its a long story. I'm keeping going.
My left leg is perfect but my right is less so. But I am way way better than Mar2016.
I can Ride my Beloved Motorcycle which I thought I might never do.
I can cycle where I want to go.
People remark that the "sick look" is gone from my face.
I admit walking long distances is still a little challenging but That is also changing as the knee strengthens. But I can walk where I want to when I want to.
I enjoy social activities including the odd party again.
My empathy for other people has returned, a "gift" which I had all but lost.
I have made some life changes also with regard to work but we can leave that for another post.
"Hip Replacement Has Changed My Life". Utterly and without question.
If your on a journey Long or Short journey You'll get there.
"go ra maith agaibh" Thank you all.
Joe.......
 
Timely post @Irish Joe it takes much perseverance, doesn't it? It's great that you're doing so well. It's def been a life changing event :yes: and even better to be on the other side, now we can do things like this again :happydance:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Love all your posts, @Irish Joe, but especially this one! I'm with you in the long recovery zone, post-op complications, and the difficulty with long distances. Like you, I'm getting better over time. You are an asset to this forum with all of your positive comments. Keep on keepin' on!
 
How lovely to get an update from you as you are so kind and helpful to others on this forum :) I love your posts and am so happy for you that you are back on your motorbike. Although my recovery was fairly uneventful I found it mentally challenging at times and still do feel frustration so it is wonderful to read posts like yours and listen to your wisdom. It's not the super quick recovery many of us expected but it is a recovery all the same....each week and month a little better...a return to quality of life.
Hope you are out and about enjoying the sunshine. I biked yesterday for the first time .. a little wobbly but so lovely, haven't biked in over a year!
Happy biking Joe [emoji846]
Sam x



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Joe, what an inspirational message for us all! Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this forum to help people going through this experience. You have a knack of making people feel better with your honesty and humour! I know I have appreciated your words of wisdom on many occasions, always expressed in such a positive and friendly way.
I am so pleased for you that you have your quality of life back again and the thrill of riding your bike. It's that sort of achievement that is the carrot for the rest of us still plodding on!
Thanks again Joe, you really brightened my day with that post,
Diane x
 
Yay Joe! What an uplifting read. I've been contemplating my recovery as two concurrent journeys- one, a shorter trip, is the recovery from surgery. It is very insistent, demanding lots of fussy attention. The other, which began at the same time, is recovery from the long pain of the rotten joint. It takes a back seat right now at the four week mark, but is becoming more and more the one to listen to. It has those experiences you speak of - recovering compassion for others, joy in movement, noticing a world that we couldn't see in our consuming pain. And so I heartily agree - this is life changing stuff.

Thanks for all you do around here - you are a Johnny Appleseed of hope.
 
The other [journey], which began at the same time, is recovery from the long pain of the rotten joint.

So true! Long term chronic pain really does a number on your psyche and is an additional issue to consider, thanks for your insight here :)

@Irish Joe enjoy the good will :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Indulge me guys.
One year 2 months post op.
Sitting in a pub with pint in hand with the wife in Dublin.
Waiting to go to Bob Dylan in concert.
" The answer my friend is blowing in the wind
The answer is blowing in the wind"
Joe.......
 
Enjoy! I heard Bob Dylan in Chicago in 1965, half-acoustic and half-electric, a concert for the ages!
 
For sure kind lady.
Saw him in Slane Castle 1985.
Hips were in top form then.
Good to see that you are improving Krista.
Joe...... (a little drunk).
 
Go, Joe!
Saw him in the Royal Court, Liverpool, 21 years ago. How old does that make me feel! Only hope he's better tonight than he was then !!!
Enjoy!!!
Diane
 
Lucky Joe. Hope the concert was great! Looking forward to my next fishing days. Or at least walking to the bathroom without being exhausted. I'm hopeful to see folks getting back to life
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom