Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Mar2016 - Right Knee Objecting Now<

@Josephine.
Thank you most sincerely for the response to my answers. I'm still going over your observations. I'll make adjustments accordingly and see how I progress.

The thing that I find myself considering the most at the moment is do I want to put my legs through the sort of work I do for another 15 years. A recent business proposition from a colleague could see me change from my current standing up / manual work to car based employment. Considering that my hips are done already and now my knee is playing up would it be sensible to consider giving up my shop and cafe ( which I really like ) in pursuit of something less physically demanding.

I've been thinking about this for a while now but its the first time I've put it to print. I would appreciate very much any observations or opinions on this.

Keep well everyone.
And sincerest thanks again @Josephine.
Joe........
 
Joe, I see it this way: You're still a relatively young chap. Your hips are still less than a year old, quite young. I would suggest you try and cut back on your activity for a while and reconsider when you know how you are doing in or after April or June. If there is no significant improvement, then your plan might be feasible. But my guess/hope is that you will find yourself much improved by then and being grateful that you took this time to let things work themselves out.
 
@Josephine.
Take a bow. You epitomise all that is good about this platform.
When we (I) print something it forces us to bring it out into the daylight. Look at it from all sides as it were. My family ( who have been very supportive) will have my back whatever I decide. The down time during this journey has allowed me to evaluate things which I probably have never done before. I'll give it some more time as you say to allow the pragmatist in me reach the right decision.
Much Appreciated.
Joe........
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Mar2016 - Right Knee Objecting Now<
Why thank you kind sir!
 
Hi Bonesmart people.
Thankfully the Knee seems to have settled down a little lately. Thanks I imagine to taking it a bit easier on it and some extra meds though nothing over the top. I do feel that I'll need to get something else done to it but I'm happy enough hanging on now 'till my 1yr hip appointment in march. I wonder does this type of OA that affects only the kneecap and no other part of the joint respond well to procedures such as arthroscopy and other less invasive procedures.
I'm still limping a little on it especially in the evening and after resting for a while.
Lots of people having there ops this week so best wishes to them.
Be Well....
Joe.....
(shout out to @froggymom.)
 
I had the same issue in my right knee after BLTHR. In my case, I think it was the fact that I had duck feet before the op but now my fee t are perfectly straight. I think my knee had been used improperly since forever and when legs were straightened the knees had to change immediately, but in week 5, knee pain a bit less.

I hope you issue turn out well.

T
 
Hello Bonesmart people. I came across this excellent site about 3 months into my bilateral hip replacement recovery and have been cruising it ever since. I'm not sure whether I should be in the hip or knee section and here's why. I'll try not to be long winded for this post.

March 3rd bilateral THRs in a highly respected clinic by one of the top orthopaedic surgeons in the country. My recovery was steady if a little slow. I now have I believe excellent ROM (range of movement) in the hips.

The thing is that all during my rehab I was concerned about persistent right knee stiffness (which wasn't there before) that I felt was hampering my recovery. For the first 6 months I was happy enough with the surgeon and clinic pointing out that it could be a settling down of the traumatised limbs. (I'm not laying any blame here as I would use the clinic and surgeon again in a heartbeat).

I went to my GP today and she has booked an MRI of the knee in the clinic as she reckons that there is evidence that suggests OA in the knee.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.
Thanks. Joe T


This might be easier Irish Joe....

broken link removed: https://soundcloud.com/user-194023576
 
Wow.
Blown away.
I bet when the Ballad was written in (c)1865 the Writer (Casey) couldn't have conceived of it Crossing the Atlantic with the click of a mouse.
Between to people who had there bones replaced.
I sang along TD and believe me I can't sing.
Go raibh maith agat. ( thank you ).
Joe..........
 
On a more "HIP" note.
This week coming up is my 1yr Bi-lateral anniversary and I have no less than 2 appointments in the clinic at the same time for a couple of other issues so I feel an update to my thread coming when I get more info. Hips feel great guys. Wonderful life altering operation.
Joe........
 
Wow.
Blown away.
I bet when the Ballad was written in (c)1865 the Writer (Casey) couldn't have conceived of it Crossing the Atlantic with the click of a mouse.
Between to people who had there bones replaced.
I sang along TD and believe me I can't sing.
Go raibh maith agat. ( thank you ).
Joe..........
So you liked it??? Im glad.

A hip update??? Might as well,

for several weeks my right knee and hip was killing me, and my left hip was not great...Last few days right hip and knee have been perfecto...but alas, for the last week, my left knee and hip (on the backside as it were) are killing me. Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end as for total recovery. It is nice to have the rightsize pain free...hopefully it will stay that way.

TD

ps,

was there only one track? should have been 8. you might have to click playlist or something, I don't know. Technology doesn't agree with me anymore.

broken link removed: https://soundcloud.com/user-194023576
 
Got it.
Will listen tonight.
Joe.....
Hips and Knees. Who'd have them.:cool:
 
@Irish Joe, I saw on another thread that you had a procedure done on your knee, and that you rode your motorcycle! I hope you will update here with all of your news. Wishing you the best.
 
Hello Guys.
Its been over a year now since I had my bi-lateral hip replacements. What an amazing operation and journey it has been for me. I can say that at this point my hips feel like they are just a normal part of my body.
After about 6 months my knee started bothering me and I have had arthroscopy on the knee on wed 15th last. The early signs are good and things are improving with the knee.
My gait is much better because of this and my back is becoming less and less bothersome. The OS believes that the back is almost certainly biomechanical and I'm inclined to agree with him.
I awoke this morning to a warmer that usual Irish Spring Morning and for the first time in almost 2 YEARS I took my motorcycle for a spin. I wiped a teardrop from my eye.
I would say to anybody who is contemplating hip or knee surgery at this time or anybody having surgery or indeed going through recovery you are on a path to a better life.
Recovery can be slow, painful, tiring and trying physically and emotionally but you will reach a better place.
And a most sincere thank you to all contributors to the forum.
Joe......
 
Love your post, Joe! It does take longer for some of us, and some get complications. But life with hips that don't work and cause mega-pain is no life at all. I'm so happy you are doing so very well. May it continue and improve even more!!!
 
Joe,
I was so happy to read your update! I am delighted for you that you are back on your motorcycle. It's those sort of achievements that are so inspirational to those of us just at the beginning of our recovery.
Good luck with progress on the knee,
Take care,
Diane
 
@Delphi. @Krista.
Go Raibh Maith Agaibh ( thank you both).
Encouragement is always appreciated.
At one point I thought the motorcycle was in the past.
If you consider each of you and where you both are in your recoveries it shows that the journeys are so varied and we need sometimes to re asses what is important in life.
Delphi your flying and its great to see that. Krista you are an inspiration to people on long recoveries and may you keep moving in that direction.
Much appreciated Guys and best wishes to all on there recoveries.
Joe......
 
Happy news Joe! Hope you had the lovely sunshine we've had here for your ride! I agree with Diane, very inspiring to read your posts!!
Sam x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great update @Irish Joe! Very impressive that you recovered so quickly from your knee surgery. It's such a great feeling to reclaim parts of your life back and long may it continue :SUNsmile:
 
Hi Joe, I see you all over the site posting and encouraging people, including myself, so I thought I would bop over and read your thread so I knew a bit more about you. You almost brought a tear to MY eye recounting getting back on your bike :). Glad I read it and thanks for being so supportive :SUNsmile: -Cathy
 
Cheers @VThereandnow.
I came across Bonesmart 6 months into recovery and wish it had been 6 months before.
I'm just giving back a little of what I've gotten out of it.
Your kind words are much appreciated and I wish you continued improvement.
Joe......
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom