THR MammaT’s Matched Set

I think on the whole it is best to follow the schedule, since it can creep up on you. For sure during the day I am taking meds at 4 hour mark (or close to it.) this morning I woke up at 3:15 am, pills not due until 4. Fell back asleep until 4:30. Even though I was feeling stiffness more than hard pain, I went ahead and took dose. That way I have meds in system.

Found it interesting that instructions are for 1 pill with pain 0-5; 2 for pain 5-10. So it seems doc wants something in system, and I know he is not a big pill pusher. I find it hard to take pain meds and always equate them with “it really hurts.” I learned on this site that stiffness is a type of pain.

If we have trouble with meds we are probably better served to simply follow the schedule and take our minds out of it. Even with first surgery, I found after first few weeks, very little was needed.

The day before when I slept past dose, I didn’t have stiffness wake me up. This am it did, so that is really my body telling me it needed something. As I start moving more, the right level of meds will help keep me moving, but I shouldn’t be so over medicated I ignore symptoms (if that makes any sense).

Off to make a second cup of coffee and get ice packs. Since yesterday was busy (shower, a nurse and pt visit exhausted me!), I will just focus on some walks about house. Also getting new garage door installed today, so that will be exciting.

Jaycey is about wise woman with much experience. It helps to have advise from those who have observed a large number of recoveries.
 
:mcoffee: Getting my coffee fix also. Have some busy days ahead of me so may be absent a bit.
Know I am sending healing mojo your way.
Hope you have a peaceful weekend :ice:
 
I sleep with my pack and it's on/off multiple areas as needed throughout night. Either that or I get no sleep. Yes it holds the freeze well over night
@BeBe...which ice pack do you use that holds the freeze overnight?
 
Well day 4 post op nearly in the books. Did make it outside for a few minutes. Went out to see new garage door and take a picture to send kids. It was sunny and pleasant, in the 40s. While I was out I walked to end of driveway and back (only a little over two car lengths long). It was nice to do that. Two steps up to porch much easier than Wednesday when I got home. The step up to the threshold is a little higher. Since we are supposed to have rain/snow the next couple of days will probably not venture out.

Son headed back to his place in Columbus this afternoon, so officially on my own. Warmed up dinner. While moving along counter, just used counter for support. Already starting to over walk walker so need to be careful. Was waiting for pt to show up before moving to cane, but have yet to hear from them. After dinner iced and took a nap. Still doesn’t take much to wear me out.

Have a bit more bruising appear today, but still nowhere near what I had with first. Still decent swelling. Hopefully that starts going down in next few days, although I know it will take awhile to leave completely.

Have not ditched teds yet. Can’t promise they will go back on after next shower, but have worn them longer than last time. Bruising and swelling has things stiff but otherwise not bad at all. All body functions normal. Boring recovery here I am happy to report. Just realized while sitting here in chair, I have surgical leg bent up and my foot flat on leg rest, feels good.

Have a good evening all.
 
Hope you were able to squeeze in some sleep last night. I didn't sleep at night for months...up and down and all around. Recliner, bed, recliner .
Hope your weekend is restful.
 
Slept well last night in a couple of 4-5 hour stretches. Got up around midnight, took pain pill, got ice, slept until around 5:30. Totally different recovery this time around do far. Not ready to run any races yet. But feel and move more like I did at 2-3 week mark last time. Attribute this to reduced pain.

Nothing on schedule today. Shower is the big item, that should account for most of my morning. Haven’t heard from pt so will keep up with ankle pumps and isometrics. Do two laps of house at a time. Ice. Elevate. Basically just a lazy recovery Saturday.

Of course, teds coming off for shower. We’ll see if I can get them back on.
 
:tada: you ate doing so well!
Shower and short walks are tiring enough.
Yay, MammaT will be spry for the spring!:flwrysmile:
 
My next door neighbor had a total knee Thursday. Can’t handle pain meds, they make her ill. She is just using Tylenol and ice!
 
@MammaT Nothing wrong with having a boring recovery! I think mine was/is pretty boring too. This may be one case in which boring is a good thing. You must have missed the snow we got up here in MI yesterday - probably about 8" where I am. Some shoveling may be on the agenda for today for me.
 
Yes, we missed that round. Even if we get some, no shoveling for me! Would like to keep recovery boring!
 
So I had been giving thought to half a pain pill today. Took whole one with Tylenol when first got up. Got breakfast, iced. Decided to get inshwer before taking second dose (I was up early). Getting teds off by myself was a workout. Shower and getting dressed and hair dried was exhausting. Getting snack and ice from kitchen, had to go back across kitchen to let cat in who was knocking one door. Back across kitchen, realized forgot spoon for yogurt. Back across. Finally in chair, snack eaten, pain meds taken. Regular dose. Knee is being a bit obnoxious and muscles really tired. Doesn’t take much to wipe us out.

We have fund raiser at church for food pantry. Soup contest and silent auction. I love this event. I will admit, in back of my mind I was thinking I might have friend pick me up and go sit for a couple of hours. After shower, no way am I capable. However, friend knows what I really want to bid on and my limits. Says he will cover it for me and perhaps even bring some soup.

Maybe by next Wednesday I will feel up to Ash Wednesday service. Or not.
 
You're doing great, MammaT! glad to hear things are going so well! The way you're going, Ash Wednesday service might be a good good choice for an outing - something to feed the body, mind and soul!
 
It’s great to hear you are doing so well. I think this is a great time of year to have the op. By the time you are wanting to get out and about and more independent the weather will be warming up, the birds singing and flowers blooming. Take it easy :)
 
@MammaT So glad that you are recovering. If you bring your walker or even better have someone bring you on a wheelchair to church, you get to go first in line for ashes or communion, or anything else. I used my walker to church the first week and everyone was so helpful!
Please play it by ear. February 14 is less than 2 weeks after surgery. He understands. :angel:
 
@MammaT You should be so pleased with your progress. Sounds like your pain control is really working/helping. As you have so wisely advised me, please don’t overdo it. :) :-) (:
 
Lol, much easier to give advice than take it. This guy wanted to know if I was going to church event tonight, seriously dude? He says “I hope you’re ok how do you feel?” So I told him I’m ok but I feel like someone sawed my femur, removed hip ball, shoved a rod in my femur and sewed me up.” He then tried a joke and I let him know nothing funny down that road. So he called, let him know the items to bid on for me at auction, he’s bringing me soup later. Don’t know why he would do that after my rant, but I’m glad he is.

There @Mojo333, I had a whine! Now I just need to breathe, it is not as bad as last time, but if folks haven’t been through something like this, they really have no idea.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom