THR MammaT’s Matched Set

Oh @MammaT I just want to give you a big hug right now. You aren't in this alone. Your hip buddies are always here for you! You've really helped me through this--especially the presurg jitters. I just had PT and she said I'm doing awesome. She actually dropped two of the exercises PT gave me at the hospital because I'm walking more. I going to keep doing that one where you clench your butt though because it helps with the pain in my back. Hopefully you'll have your PT set up soon. Take is easy on yourself. You made it through week 1 --great job!
 
Thanks for the hug @Bevlah. Those moments hit. Like recovery, grieving is a process and when you add in some of the post ops blues (they are real, don’t be embarrassed by them, just work through them), then you just feel what you feel.

However, I can also find advantages. My husband thought I should recovery from anything overnight, pneumonia, child birth, surgery. 22 years ago I had a cervical fusion. Three days later, he decides to put in new garage door and insisted I stand in that garage, holding tools, to help him. And I did. This past Friday they installed new garage door I had ordered a few weeks ago. I held nothing heavier than the ink pen for writing the check! Shudder to think what he would want help with now!

A surprise of the day. Woman for church called, had trouble finding house. Was going to walk to front door to help flag her. Realized I was standing at doo without walker. Yep, without thinking I walked the three feet from chair to door. No discomfort, but a feeling of “what am I doing.”got back to walker safely. May be time to work on cane. Pt coming in a bit.

Also discovered that while I don’t have much bruising on top of thigh where I had it last time, side of hip is a rainbow. Now I know why that area has been painful.

Wish me luck with pt- I hope the woman has some common sense.
 
@MammaT yep ain't that the truth men have no idea what we go through!!! I bet he was lovely though and sadly missed. Good for you girl walking without your walker! You really are doing great and an inspiration to us all!!! Keep the healing coming........:yay: :spin::dancy::happydance::cheers: :flwrysmile:
 
Wow @MammaT that must have been a bit scary when you realised you'd walked there on your own. Sounds like you're doing great with movement! Please keep us posted on the PT.
I agree that sometimes it's nice when there's no one around to push you. Kids are home from school now making me mental. :bawl:
 
@MammaT - great progress! You reminded me of my oldest when he became a toddler. It wasn't unusual for him to pull up on another kid's walker and hold on as they went for a stroll together. Then one day he got distracted and the kid in the walker started without him. His first steps were chasing that walker - until he stopped in his tracks with a look of fear when he realized he wasn't holding on to anything.
 
You nailed it @SaraK, that was me.

Pt came. Had me do basic stretches. Can start incorporating cane. No limp with short distance. I can tell not ready for full time transition. She’s watching me do squeezes and says “you have quite a bit of swelling you know.” Yes, I have noticed my tremendous thigh.

Got straight on protocol for getting refill. Don’t want to get stuck without refill for weekend and I don’t want to leave myself stuck this early.

On ice and resting for the night.
 
@MammaT that's so great that you're able to start incorporating the cane so soon. I'm jealous and very very happy for you! That's also good that there's no limp with short distances. Exactly what you want to hear. Keep on with the rest and ice--it's working for you. Have a lovely evening!
 
Last edited:
You've got this MammaT. Wishing you a restful evening...
Kind of wish I was back to recovery resting days..way too much stress today.
Sweet Dreams:ice:
 
Haha, like you wouldn't have noticed your thigh is twice its usual size...thank you Captain Obvious lol. I had a little bit of overall leg swelling but the worst was a spot at one end of my incision. Hubby said it looked like a tennis ball tucked in my pants. It was also really bruised, so I thought it looked more like a plum myself.
 
@MammaT

Oh how I don’t want you to be sad, but it’s part of life. We “aloners” have the best of times with others, and when it’s time to come home to an empty house, we are little weepy. At least I am. I’m in such an annoyed state as I constantly hurt. I miss my bf when he’s gone, calling and FaceTime to excess, then once he gets here, I want him gone. I think I’m going crazy sometimes.

I know I’m learning tons from your posts and encouragement and caring. So glad you’re having church friends bring meals. Letting others help us makes friends feel needed.

So glad you’re progressing to cane quickly. You’re recovery is wonderful. We are always here for you.

Your friend,
Janet
 
Yeah, I’ve got more like two grapefruits @jaydub6. Just when I got comfortable with yoga pants. Well, no two recoveries are alike. Didn’t wear yoga pants with first. And swelling wasn't this traumatic.

Little sore tonight so I did extra icing time and relaxation for you @Mojo333.

Yes @newhip126, living alone is interesting. I’ll be feeling sad and lonely, but once folks are here after a while I want my quiet back.

By the way @hipster333, am taking cane slowly. I’ve heard around here that just because we can doesn’t mean we should. Even though pain and mobility are better than first hip, the swelling and location of bruising are reminders that somebody did something pretty traumatic to my body one brief week ago.
 
@MammaT you're such a smart woman going slow with the cane. No wandering off with no assistive devices for you today. :good-bad: How was your dinner? That's so sweet of your church friends to bring you food. Do you have other friends coming over just to visit or to help you out a bit with housework? I've had a couple offer, but when people come over I always feel like I need to entertain and I'm really not up for it. Hope you have a wonderful day! rest lots!
 
Don’t know if I’m smart or just want to avoid pain @hipster333! I agree with not being ready to entertain. I can be wide awake at one minute and asleep the next. I prefer people for short visits right now. The boy who mows my grass is coming over to do trash cans. Have someone else lined up for prescription dance. Sister in law will handle good cleaning of litter box. Have discovered can load/unload dishwasher but I am using paper plates for lots of stuff. And some house stuff, like dusting, can wait.

Pt is going to try to get me down basement steps Friday. I know I can handle steps, but getting laundry down (you let basket slide, have grabber to pluck up what flies out and have rope on basket to drag it across to machines) takes some initial confidence, plus I want to be using cane and not walker. Worst case scenario is another friend throws in load of laundry for me.

Hitting shower this am and nurse this afternoon. Have to wash the dreaded teds.other than that, walk, ice rest. Overdid things a little on Sunday. Don’t want to go backwards.
 
So turns out that only people who can pick up script have to be on my hippa form on file at doctors office. So, after he decides if and what refill I get, I will need to hitch a ride to doctor office. So I guess no matter how much we preplan, there is always something. At least I am finding this out sooner than right before office closes on Friday. Fortunately I have lots of folks who have offered to drive me places. Really don’t want son to drive an hour here and back for this.
 
It is rough going on as a widow @MammaT. I lost my first husband 12 years ago and it seems like just a while back and I have remarried. I can imagine how difficult it is going through this surgery and recovery without your partner. You deserve to shed a whole lot of tears when it all strikes your heart. That's not whining.

Despite it all you are moving forward brilliantly. Very impressive moving across the kitchen floor on your own and graduating to the cane. But you are an amazing Lady and will, obviously, do well with this recovery. You have spirit to share and you do. Your posts to me have been so reassuring. So here we are waiting to listen to more ups and downs. You've listened to mine and you're more up than down. So bring it on!

Have a splendid week enjoying those meals coming from your friends and church members. Relax and enjoy the help. Thinking of you. :wave:
 
@MammaT You really are a trooper. So glad you're doing well, this hip thing isn't easy by any means. Your positivity and great attitude is motivating. Thank you for sharing that with us! :roseshwr:
 
Getting out for a short outing (even just picking up a script) might do you good - I know I started having serious cabin fever after about a week and I was jumping (well, not actual jumping) at any chance for a change of scenery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom