THR MajorHeidi is now a Hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Plumberbutt !!!!
I was pretty stiff on propping myself up on the bed to begin the process of scooting out today.
But, once I got up and walked maybe 20 steps it felt less tight and stiff and heavy.

Hey, I am wondering about the TEDS.
They only gave me one pair....supposed to wear in daytime only.
Can i just throw them in the washer/dryer and they survive to live another day? or do I have to handwash?
 
@Major Heidi Just stopping by to say hi and happy to hear you are doing so well. Please keep in mind, for the coming weeks, that even on the days that progress seems to have slowed to a halt, you are still headed in the right direction. Have a wonderful day:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Claire...I threw the socks in the washer...they come out fine...Aren't they fun to get on LOL..They pretty much dry fast without the dryer...For me I found that walking gave me a little relief from that stiffness..Its a beautiful day today. I hope your day is a good one. Sundays are always good for those old movies if you like them...:SUNsmile:
 
I just wanted to document the day of surgery what the preop processing involved.
I assume most everyone's are similar though some with a difference here and there.

Arrival 3 hours before surgery time.
Change into lovely hospital 'gown'.
They put me in an 'isolation' area due to MRSA colonization in preop testing from earlier.
MY DH, all nurses, OS, Anesthesiologist had to put on new gown, gloves, hat at entry and leave them in a bag at exit.

Was given toothbrush, paste and a spittoon and told to throw all of it away when finished.
Next came the establishment of two IVs (one on each side).
The first in right arm rolled. Hurt just a bit, and she took that one out and started again with both hands instead of arms. Got that done.

Next was mouthwash into a spittoon.
Then, nurse got out shaving equipment! I didn't know this was gonna happen, but electric razor it was....
That was followed by insertion of the Foley catheter. This took about ten seconds to get installed, but
that then led to feeling of needing to pee constantly. Weird feeling.
Nurse said 'don't worry... after the surgery you won't be thinking about that at all'. Heehaw.

Then, the OS came in and asked if I had taken the Coumadin and aspirin the night before. I said yes, and he
signed my right leg. Said I should be able to go home the next day.

Then, DH was allowed into the room to sit for the remaining time to keep me company.
The anesthesiologist then came in and asked if I had any previous reactions to anesthesia.
I said no.
To my surprise, and not the way we were told by the PA or in joint class, he said
'We will do a spinal with general anesthesia'. Why????
He said the Hana table that looks like a big X was not real pleasant to lay on, and that he preferred to put patients under general. So, I said ok.
I was then wheeled into the operating theatre next to the Hana table, and he gave me the spinal as I held
pillows over my lap and a big Chippendale kind of guy stood in front of me to catch me if I fell. Ha!
That's all he was there for..... :heehee:
I suspect he hauled me up and put me on the table, but I was out by then..... :flwrysmile:
 
Major thanks for this recap. I'm getting things ready for hospital. Tomorrow night is the first night of Passover so I will be with loads of family to distract me. My husband wants to stay in hospital with me.. Did you wear Hosptial gown or pajamas? Slippers or sneakers? Home physical therapy? Pain awful today.. Nerves high level! Oy vey I want it to be over and healing!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
Thanks for that Claire. Funny how they all do it different. I was told no general as he likes alertness right after. That I would be given spinal in room and will be out before I ever see Hana ..how did it look? Do you remember? You sound like you are doing awesome. So happy for you.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@VF I just wore the hospital gown. The nurse had tape to close the backside with. Haha
I just wore the TEDS with the Acti-Tred socks over them. No shoes.
I even wore them out of the hospital to go home rather than shoes, as they put you in wheelchair to the car,
so I only had maybe two steps on concrete.
I had a home health nurse stop by today (Sunday ) at home. She said nurse will be back Thursday to take
off the bandage; then I can shower.
Home PT is to call and schedule for two days per week starting this week.

VF, don't worry too much, they really do have this thing down to a science. I know you will do great!

@psychteach I have a link someplace that shows the Hana table..... want me to find it?
 
I saw the table on internet. Thank you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi That is so funny expecially about the table. I was determined to see it in person, so even though I had the lovely little cocktail I do remember going into OR and saying I wanted to see it, remember looking that way at it and said cool, then they stuck a mask over my face and that was that. Yet I don't remember leaving my hubby, not sure why that happened that way but at least I got to see it. I also had the shaving thing happen as well. Guess that is just par for the course. Glad you are doing so good, you have absolutely got this recovery thing!! Hope you have a great day!!
 
@VF So sorry that the nerves have got hold of you. Try to relax and not worry, I know that is hard to do but at least try. As you have heard the waiting is the worst part. In a couple of days you will be on the other side and moving thru recovery with your new hip!!
 
@MajorHeidi , @mystikfairy61 Cool that you got to see the Hana table. I had anterior but was out cold by the time I started rolling down the hall. Also had a general the anesthesiologist said my OS. preferred it cause it was easier to move me around. It's interesting that even with the same procedure that different OS's all have their little differences.
 
interesting on anesthetic and the table, My OS said he prefers spinal with light sedation as that allows me to be up and walking sooner than with general. I also asked him if a special table is used, he said no, I will be on a regular surgery table, laying on my right side with my back and chest supported, arms hugging a mat. They will get me into position before the fully put me under
 
@VF @mystikfairy61 I want a martini. That would be nice! I guess it will be a few weeks before its tini' time.
@JoeL and @Dieter Funny My OS said we will use spinal with a mild sedative.
It was the anesthesiologist who came in after the OS was gone and had signed my leg that he gave
me the info about using general instead because he thought the table was too uncomfortable for spinal w sedation.
But, regular table you should be fine.
 
Yea, I'm disappointed in app for Iphone. It doesn't show much of anything or show little :shrug: Anybody with insight can address. My phone is always with me and love it but have to come to computer to really do anything on BoneSmart.
Yea, I had regular table hugging some kind of mat - vaguely remember but not really - darn sedation, but sooo glad not general. They would have had to chase me down the hall streaking with spinal -- guess legs wouldn't have worked though. You seem to have recovered fast from general though? Funny little differences. My spinal was first but their normal protocal is sedate first. They left me go until OR before but usually catheter, etc. done after sedating--it was done after spinal though. Guess my own shaving good enough. Wouldn't want to have to deal with the itchy growing in post-op too. TMI
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom