THR MajorHeidi is now a Hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just dropped by to see how you are doing. I am doing pretty good but did overdue on Friday so taking easy still this week. I did get to go out of town and it felt so good to do something that was normal. Go slow and do remember how lucky we are to have each other on our jounery. Take care. Tashia
 
All this shaving stuff and I got a guy nurse....dang....good thing I had things "manscaped" before hand.....didn't want them to think I just came from the jungle!!!! Oh well, just checking to see how you are doing Claire. Hoping you are feeling good...very little pain. You will be up dancing and swinging in no time!!! So happy for you!!
 
my surgery folder says not to shave below the neck for 48 hours prior to surgery (not an issue...), and "if needed- excess hair will be removed with electric clippers" if someone at the hospital comes at me with a razor to prepare the site, I am not to let them and am supposed to tell the staff they can argue with my surgeon about it!
 
@MajorHeidi ooooh.... I see. Is that something that they do for anterior? I am having posterior and read something more along the lines of what @Dieter is saying.
 
So funny to hear everybody's stories. ...nobody touched me with a razor...lol...I had the anterior approach...I didn't have a catheter either..I had a spinal also....but I wasn't conscious for that...all I remember is being in the operating room and then poof, ,,,,,oh but I did have periods of hearing...lol...heard talking. ..laughing....hammering and sawing....lol....anyone else hear?..You sound great Claire...oh no one more day for me and then back to work. ...:)

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
 
@younghippie My surgeon said the position for SuperPath is the same as for posterior, which is good, because if there is any unforeseen complication, the approach can quickly be converted to posterior.
 
They didn't mention shaving or not in our pre-op stuff either -- but I noticed they didn't mention many things that usually happen after most people sleeping . . . though the hospital touts "no surprises" (never mentioned catheter or TEDS or blue-green body wash that as I was checking out my body just after surgery I thought was bruising -- all over from my waist down! I don't know if normal routine for anterior as I'm usually "wo-manscaped" :heehee: so .... I had heard some do the no shaving rule before surgery but they didn't tell me that so I didn't ask and I did - TEDS were not going on me without shaved legs - or elsewhere! :yikes: Just some of those odd little things they didn't think to mention. :whistle:
 
I asked about manscaping, was told they don't do it, but they did shave/clip on top of thigh while I was out. Nothing was said about a catheter. Until I woke up with one. At least I was asleep when it went in :), but fully aware when it was removed. :sad: I wonder if these surgeons when they get together for their conferences and meetings actually debate all these little differences. Also when O.S. saw me before discharge, he removed the dressing, said it wasn't necessary. Nurse put it right back on an hour later??? LOL.
 
Hi @Lmflora ! thanks for checking in. Hope you are doing well today, too! :flwrysmile:
Hi @chaseyboy One more day to stay out before going back to the real world. Enjoy it!!!! :SUNsmile:
Hi @JoeL and @Me2 That is a funny thought about the OS's getting together and discussing all these little
things at conferences. But of course they do this! And, even brainstorm other weird things to do to us.... :thud:
@fulafoto Yes getting real for you soon!!! :yes!:
 
Hey Claire @MajorHeidi ......well so much information on your post-op thread. I had a one on one "chat" when I went for my pre-op with a nurse who I now assume does the introduction, answers questions, eases anxiety, gave me a bag and t-shirt before I left. I was told not to shave at all as any "nick" is a avenue for possible staph to enter! YIKES! Told her not a problem. No cath, no hose, no spinal, no log leg.... Had to scrub with this stuff they gave me in the morning after I showered and let it dry before dressing and arriving at the hospital. Surgery took place on a Friday, the OS came in on Sunday, personally removed the big bulky dressings, inspected the incisions and put a large waterproof bandage over the incisions probably a 4x8 in size so I could shower then. Someone had asked what to wear, they told me something loose. I wore something comfy and my slippers (black fuzzy ones), didn't care, knew I wouldn't see any of those people in the lobby or waiting room again! I stayed in the hospital gown the whole time with the exception of some satin jammies when I had to walk to therapy room. Left in jammies and slippers....again didn't care! The satin jammies made sliding in the leather seats a whole lot easier, especially with 2 hips done that worried me, getting in the seat. See the OS tomorrow will post later with his findings. Keep taking it easy, sounds like you are getting along wonderfully. Love ya.....
 
Hello all, @MajorHeidi you sound like you're doing fantastically well!
Just for info - for my anterior THR in Jan, my surgeon asked me which hip (I think he knew, was checking I knew?) and then drew an arrow on my thigh with a big black pen. There was NO shaving I am glad to say. Claire, that does not sound nice! And I did not have a catheter.
Enjoy your day,
Gill


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I was told not to shave in my pre-op appt for the reason of nicks being an avenue for bacteria to enter. The pre-op nurse even made me remove my pants so she could inspect my leg for any existing cuts (I had one, byproduct of my job, lol) and went into detail as to why they have his rule. I did not shave bc I did not want the hip to get infected. I didnt like it one bit, and by the time I was able to shave I told my DH he might have to fire up the weedeater... :heehee: I was told about the TED's bc they measured my legs for the right fit. And they came in to shave my leg and hip area with an electric shaver right before taking me back. When I did finally shave, I purposely did not use a new razor as I normally nick myself with them. Good thing it was cold during that time... the TED's and extra "fur" helped keep me warm :loll:
 
Day 5 Post Op:
Milestone reached! :yes!:
I was able to get myself out of bed, to the bathroom, and back in bed with no assistance from DH.
The log leg is dissipating, and is almost all gone. Whew.

Getting good healing sleep at night, which makes me happy.

I miss Major and Heidi, but DH plans to bring them back from the kennel on Friday. :puppysmooze:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom