THR MajorHeidi is now a Hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CanukTriMom Cheryl, I had no idea about the bursa being inflamed until he poked it. Ouch!
I did have some discomfort in my groin and an area of pain located along my IT band. All that
corresponds to overworking of the muscle areas.....
 
Hi @MajorHeidi Sorry to hear that you are having back pain I hope the PT is a success.I am in the same position as you regarding the left hip with moderate arthritic pain in the hip and radiating to the knee.It also travels down to the shin at times but the wretched X-ray shows adequate joint space so I don't meet the criteria for a LTHR at the moment Given the choice I would have it done now to get it over and done with instead of having to wait until the pain gets worse but of course in the UK you never know how long you have to wait once the OS gives the go ahead .Did your OS suggest a cortisone injection for the bursitis as from what I understand hey can be very effective in that area ?
 
@MajorHeidi, YIKES! Well, let me just say, knowledge is power. I don't know what too much knowledge is, but at least now you know. My original MRIs that led to my hip surgery, well, one was of my lower spine and I have arthritis in the same place although I don't have any inflammation there or such. I'm hoping you are in the 85% and the odds are in your favor. Let's keep a positive spin on this until there is a reason not to! Meanwhile, ice and rest to get that inflammation down, perhaps that will help PT be a bit more palatable.
 
Gosh Claire @MajorHeidi....that's a lot to take in! These bodies of ours! Sometimes the physio can really help back pain...it helps the muscles get strong to support the back...I hope that is the case for you!
My non operated hip is behaving ok since my THR but now waiting for X-ray on knee on operated side...it's so painful & stopping me from walking....doing aquafit x3 per week to keep everything moving.
It is a shame as probably, like you, I expected some pain free time....my hip is fantastic though!! Take care honey xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Kim22 Yeah, I guess we are in the waiting camp for now. The OS basically said until the groin starts
feeling painful, too, it isn't bad enough since there is still joint space.
The Trochanter bursa is on the operated hip side, and NO he did not recommend a shot at this point, just rest.

@beachgal Wow, so you have arthritis in the same spot in the back! I sure hope mine settles down with the
upcoming PT and then goes back in its cave.....

@Hoppy Nanny Thanks for your support!
I hope your knee xrays show what needs work and it can be healed with minimum effort.
Here's to continued healing for all!
 
@MajorHeidi Oh Claire bless your heart. I have been there with the bursitis it is a major pain to say the least. I can understand how you feel though, more than you realize. I had an MRI of the spine done back in 2010 and was told I had some degenerative changes as well and guess where, you guessed it, L4 and 5. So at least know that there is someone who understands fully what it felt like to hear that from an ortho doc. Mine so far has not made any more advances in the negative so there really haven't been any new xrays or MRI's done since then, so I am hoping mine is at least staying at bay. With my right hip being good now, my left hip has mild arthritis so it will be ok for a while and the left knee replacement coming soon to an operating theatre, LOL, I feel I have enough on my plate. Know that you are in my thoughts sweetie as you deal with such a direct blow both physically and mentally. God will see us through it all my dear!! Love you!!
 
@MajorHeidi

Just checkin in to see how everything is progressing! As a triathlete I have super tight hip flexors and it bands, a couple years ago, I bought a foam roller to keep those areas as well a gluts (min, med and Max) stretched out. I roll on it morning, noon and night. Yes it will be painful at the beginning but don't give up. All of the muscles you would be stretching work together to hold your hip in place and ward off potential nastiness as Piroformis syndrome, pulled quad muscles, IT band syndrome, Sciatia and the list goes on . There are great u tube videos on line showing proper technique.....if you can get the one with the ridges that's best but the solid blue one works as well.

Later tater!
 
@CanukTriMom Good advice on the rollers. Do you think I should try it now? Everything does feel very very
tight inside from the psoas to the hip flexor to the IT band to the piriformis area. Should I just avoid the trochanter bursa area itself? its like the size of a nickel button.... ha
 
Never use any type roller on your bursa as that can cause it to burst, roll from top of thigh to knee...you would be on your side for that but not over the incision until it is deemed fully sealed. Now with an anterior hip the restrictions are no backward flexion with the hip and leg, no exterior rotation of the hip And no bridging. Any movement that involves those ROM must cleared by the doctor.

Based on the spread you listed, the IT to the periformis is fine provided you do not roll over the bursa. For the psoas to the hip flexor that would require rotating that hip outward while you are on the carpet. Now that is one of our big restrictions.

My advice (and I do take my own advice) is to find a Massage therapist who works St a Sports medicine clinic as the have an in depth knowledge of all those weird little muscles as well as how they all work together for physical activity even just walking.

Before doing anything, clear it through your OS first
Cheryl
 
MajorHeidi,
Here is a link to the article in the library about trochanteric bursitis, Trochanteric bursitis with THR
If you are going to use a roller get a soft one, much easier on our tender tissues. And as recommened stay away from the painful bursa. If it hurts don't do it!
Take it easy, get the cold packs back out and and follow the mantra, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate.
 
Until you get the bursitis under control, I'd be hesitant to do any rolling of your leg. Why not talk it over with the therapist when you go for your back therapy. The therapist can also show you the proper way to use the roller and that may help you get started.
 
Hey thanks @CanukTriMom and @Pumpkln .... appreciate the tips.
I think I will probably call to schedule both chiro (first time ever) and PT ( for back stretching for the L4-L5 stuff) and ask about roller workout starting...
thanks for the advice.
I appreciate it !!! hugs
 
@MajorHeidi

That sounds like a great plan but be aware that the bursitis needs to be completely healed before any PT can be done. I had this situation a couple of years ago. Just a tip for future treference, it should feel like a bruise right on the tip of hip bone. Hope you feel better soon. I get my staples out today!! That deserves a present for me I think....don't you?
 
@CanukTriMom Thanks for the tip about don't starting PT til the bursitis settles. I sure don't want to hurt it any further. Ugh.....
Yay you on staple removal day! :yes!: That deserves a present for sure!
 
Hi @MajorHeidi I would think very carefully about using a foam roller with trochanteric bursitis.It would be so easy to make your situation worse.I agree with the others that you need to rest until your symptoms subside.Frustrating I know .Thinking of you and sending you healing wishes from over here.
 
Hi @Kim22 I will be resting the rest of the weekend, and not attempting any PT for at least a week. Today I had to take multiple flights of stairs ....
Ugh I babystepped it and it still was rough. Now have ice on it.
Have a nice weekend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom