Guest viewing is limited

THR MajorHeidi is now a Hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi Yeah for getting back in the pool! I swam Tuesday and it was wonderful!!
@Chessie I flew home (Minneapolis to Oklahoma via Chicago) 6 days post op with no trouble, I got up every 45 min or so and walked around and did get a cart ride between gates in Chicago. I finally registered yesterday for a conference in NC and will fly out exactly 2 months after surgery, I would not commit to it before, but feel I am doing well enough that I can go...
 
@Chessie I flew home (Minneapolis to Oklahoma via Chicago) 6 days post op with no trouble, I got up every 45 min or so and walked around and did get a cart ride between gates in Chicago. I finally registered yesterday for a conference in NC and will fly out exactly 2 months after surgery, I would not commit to it before, but feel I am doing well enough that I can go...

Okay thanks for that perspective @Dieter. I will give it some more thought.
 
7 week OS checkup:
Doing great....
No restrictions, but he said if something hurts - don't do it!

No running or jumping. This includes do NOT jump into pool; he said use the ladder or steps only.

I asked about getting down on the floor to do exercises such as crunches - he said ok.
I asked if I could sit cross-legged Indian style, and he said 'why would you want to do that?' NO! There are other ways to sit on the floor that would be easier on your body. ok.....

I asked for an order to do outpatient PT for strengthening. He gave me 12 sessions.
I start that Monday afternoon. I am looking forward to the structured 50 minutes of exercises.
:yes!:
 
Hi Claire...just stopping bye...YOU SOUND WONDERFUL.:wowspring:..This is great isn't it....Woo Hoo..:spin:.no more pain...As time goes bye i forget I had the surgery....I can say I am 98%...still sometimes stiff...but it goes away...I have been doing alot of walking....This weekend I am going to get my bike out.:biking:.I wanted to do it last weekend and my husband was freaking out saying I shouldn't ride the bike...He has such a fear I will fall...I wish he would just relax...lol.....We are all so lucky and blessed that we have recovered so well...I wish you a wonderful rest of your life with that new hip...:SUNsmile: I'll be checking in and I am sure I will find you happy.:wave:I just feel so good ..and glad I did the surgery..Ahh....life is good...:beer::happydance:
 
Hi @chaseyboy !!!
JoAnne, always so happy to hear from you.
I am so excited to hear about you and your bike. That is really cool.
Could you even imagine with all the pain you were in that you would be able to do that?!!!
Its neat you have forgotten your hip.
I am not quite there yet. Just set up some PT appts so I could have structured forced exercises,
since I am a slacker and don't do them at home.
But, I do walk walk walk :walking: and I started going to the outdoor pool which I love. :swim:
xo
 
Hi @MajorHeidi Just catching up on my hippie friends and happy to hear that you are doing so well. Doesn't it seem like sooo long ago that we were pre-op? I had to stop and count the weeks since my op - and was surprised that it was a mere 10 weeks ago. I rarely think about my hip and to think that it was all I thought about for so long. No pool near me but I am thinking about giving my bike a tune up. Wishing you continued success and thanking you for your support during my recovery:) Joyce


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @teakea66 Great to see your cute little doggie pic!
You sound like you are doing awesome at 10 weeks! Enjoy that biking. :biking:
I would like to get a bike.....
Do get to use stationary/recumbent bikes, but would really like to get one for outdoors.
Have fun!!!
 
7.5 weeks: new milestone....
Can put on sock without the dressing aid, and tied my own walking shoes. :walking:
This was done by putting foot flat on floor, sitting on chair and bending forward to do it.
 
That's wonderful! I always like to read your posts... gives me hope about what is to come. :)
Are you able to generally move around with ease and do everyday things again? I am trying to figure out about how long it will be before I'll be able to tackle an organizing project- cleaning out a couple of spare rooms in my house- that will require bending over, digging through boxes and lifting some light weight things (but they don't seem lightweight to me at this point.) Seems trivial, but I have been putting this project off for so long, it will be a great accomplishment for me to do it and I'm anxious to get started.
 
Hi @younghippie !
My only complaint right now is that I am stiff when I get up from sitting, and it takes a few half dozen steps
to get moving effortlessly. The PA said this is normal, and about 75% of patients are this way....
He said most resolve in about 6 months or sooner.
I like to take many small walks outdoors , on top of a daily 2 miler in the morning.
My fitbit is pegged at 5 miles per day now.....

I pick up the two dog bowls three times a day from the floor, and refill them and reposition them on the floor.
No problem now.

I have moved one grabber permanently to the laundry room to use to pull stuff out of the washer and dryer.
It works great! Wish I had it before!

Today I vacuumed and mopped the floors, and did a bunch of general cleaning.
I feel the energy drain is gone. Yay!

If I had an organizational project to do, I feel I could do it now just fine.....
I would wait til you get a few more weeks under your belt, as the time does make a difference
in what you can do.

Isn't it great, compared to what it used to be like?
:yes!:
 
Thanks @MajorHeidi ! That gives me a good idea of what I'll be able to do in a few weeks. You have been such a great source of encouragement and info. Thank you!!! :)
 
8 Week Update:
Everything seems just fine......

One remaining complaint I have is that when I stand up from sitting.... I am stiff, and it takes about 15 steps to 'get going' normally.....
Will that "go away" or do I have to live with that?
tagging....
@Hoppy Nanny
@Butterfly
anyone else please?
 
Claire, I still have that to some extent. When I first stand up, I wait just a second before I start to walk to minimize it and prepare myself to move. I have heard stiffness can last 6 months or more!
 
Debbie thanks.... I hope we all get over this side effect eventually!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi Hi Claire just catching up on your thread……so glad all going well with you. Who ever thought we would be trilled to be doing housework!!! I too had that stiff feeling when I stood up…..it is getting better but I still still take that first step carefully as I a not sure how it will be.

Keep up the great recovery :flwrysmile:
 
hi @MajorHeidi . I recently asked about that and noticed several other people asking about it too. Josephine answered that it could take up to a year to go away, and that it's not pain from the hip but from the wound. which makes a lot of sense. I'm about 5 months post-op and it still happens. sometimes I kind of limp through it and then it passes. someone here suggested moving your leg around before you start walking, that it brings blood to the area and loosens things, or something like that. anyway, I relaxed after reading jo's answer and seeing others going through the same thing. glad things are good for you, other than that.
 
@dickinson (I hope you don't mind, but I am pasting your quote/post from your thread here so I have it. It is very valuable....thanks!)

********************************
dickinson said: ↑
I am aware of my hip when I get up from sitting down, or lift heavy things

Actually it's not your hip you're aware of, it's your wound. It could be as much as 6 more months before that drops off your radar! (Josephine)

Dickinson said:↑
I met a woman recently who had a hip replacement 6 years ago. her dr told her that she shouldn't walk too much so she doesn't wear out the hip and have to have another one. she told him she has a 10 minute walk to and from work and he told her she shouldn't walk it

WHAAAAT? :tantrum2: How absolutely, totally, incomparably stupid! People run marathons on THRs. And Jaycey is right - technology is on our side!

****************************************

thank you Josephine. as usual you put my mind at ease. I have noticed a number of people commenting about those first steps after standing up. it is interesting to differentiate between the hip and the wound. I never thought of it that way before. it's actually more than 'being aware of my hip'. it hurts for those first steps on the outside of my upper thigh, I even limp through them, but now I won't worry.

End of post from Dickinson.....

Thanks!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom