THR MajorHeidi is now a Hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 17 Post Op:
After going back to oxycodone 4x per day instead of 2x per day, I am just fine.
it is clear to me now that I should NEVER have weaned from 4-->2 at the point I switched from walker to no aids.
duh!

I rested all day yesterday.
Today I feel good again.
I walked in the neighborhood for 2/3 mile, and it was a very pretty enjoyable walk. :walking:
I did a few PT exercises, and now
I am going to chill for the remainder of the gorgeous sunny afternoon.

I hope you all have a great day, too!:SUNsmile:
 
@MajorHeidi I think it's interesting how we all try to wean off the pain meds way too early! I went through the same thing and so many others do, too. At 5 weeks post op, I am still taking 1/2 norco 3 times a day, although think I am ready to cut that back to twice a day and then hopefully none, as I am noticing less pain on average. I had a rough day yesterday, though and actually took a Percocet when I got home because I was so sore. So, it just goes to show that we are all still in early stages of recovery! Good that you are walking so far. It is nice here in San Diego today and I'm getting ready to take a walk myself.
 
Glad you have put the meds back up....it's pretty early days Claire @MajorHeidi

There is no harm staying on the meds if you need them.

Did you walk around the neighbourhood with your walker or crutch/ cane?

Keep up the good work....work includes resting!!!
 
It is so easy to forget that a total hip replacement is complex, traumatic and major surgery and the pain meds and the walking aides will assist the healing - it is hard to take it slow and steady. Check out this article to see where you are in the recovery phase :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Looks good Claire :)

The pain meds is a strange one... up and down depending on the day for lots of us, it seems.
I have been off them for about 5 days now, with the exception of paracetamol just before bedtime. I haven't fely any need during the day recently. :)
 
Thanks @Me2 for pointing out that the xray I had posted had sensitive personal info on it, so I didn't know how to remove it, so I deleted the post. :doh:
 
Post Op Day 19:
Did grocery shopping and errands, with DH driving. Felt good being out and about.
Thunderstorms all day long, and likely tomorrow, too. Boo!:blackcloud:
Trying to get a refill on Tramadol. Will run out midday tomorrow. May get to try cold turkey on that one, but
not sure it does anything anyway.....
Any thoughts on Tramadol/Ultram being effective?
 
Hey Claire...Tramadol for me did nothing....and I mean nothing....I would ask for something stronger considering you are not that far out, My Doctor wanted to give me that 2 weeks post op...What???.I said no thanks...lol...I don't know give it a try maybe it will help you but I thought it was like taking an advil....? Good Luck....:SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @chaseyboy I really didn't think it made any difference for me, ie... Tramadol didn't seem to feel like it helped. Nor does the tylenol. the oxycodone yes, it does.
How is work for you? Is it good to be back????
 
Hi Claire Tramadol did nothing for me either, and upset my stomach as a bonus. Seems there is nothing else between the narcotics and plain old Tylenol or Aleve for me. I made that leap about 10 days ago but there have been a couple days that I could have used an oxycodone. I am taking Excedrin (for some reason the 250 mg acetaminophen/250 mg aspirin/caffeine combo works for me) twice a day. Then I take Aleve morning and bedtime and still ice when I feel like I need it.

I slowly reduced the oxycodone dosage - first increasing hours between doses and then going from 1 pill to a half.
It's funny how we all are anxious to get rid of the major meds. For me it is just that groggy, out-of-control feeling that I hate, and it was hard for me to sound alert for my conference calls.

You will know I think when it's time to stop them...for me it was between the 3rd and 4th week. I tried to stop them earlier and my pain screamed NOT YET.

So glad to hear how well you are doing! Getting out makes a huge difference!
 
MajorHeidi - been tracking your post and so happy for you and feel encouraged. So yay!!! Question though - planning ahead - I'm not a pill popper. I always ween off drugs quickly. What is realistic post THR?

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @frieds !
I tried (successfully) weaning down to only 2 oxycodone per day during the second week.
BUT!!!!!!
When I had my 2 week appt with OS, and he took me off the walker and onto cane or nothing as I felt appropriate, I overdid it horribly.
I had to go back to 4 oxycodone per day due to all the increased walking and exercising.
My next plan is to wean down to 3 oxy beginning on Day 21 (tomorrow).
then, wait a week, and go down to 2 oxy for a week; then break them in half and do 2 per week, etc.
I think this is doable.
Just don't do what I did and start weaning too soon while on the walker. Hahahaha I learned...
 
Day 20 Post Op:
This morning getting up out of bed at 6am was painful due to stiffness.
It doesn't seem the pain pills work on stiffness (?!)
After about a half hour, things normalized....

Today I walked four quarter mile segments --> 1 mile.
I also did single round of PT exercises.
Rest of time just chilled literally with ice on leg in recliner. ha
:ice:
 
I'm with you Claire that I too am stiff in the morning...but once I get going, then I am not too bad. I try not to think about the pain pills, but if I need them, then I use them. If I don't need them, then I don't. It really depends on the day and the previous day's activity for me. Same with the stiffness, depends on the activity. Glad you are doing so well. Isn't it hard to believe just how bad we work ourselves up before the surgery and the waiting and then it is over with and we just keep getting stronger and better. Take care bud!!!
 
@MajorHeidi ,
Thought I would stop by and say Hi to you on your thread. Looks like you hippies come off your pain meds way ahead of us kneeses. Stiffness is a form of pain, if it were me I would not try to be cutting back so soon.
Sounds like you are having a great recovery, see you in the social room,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom