THR MajorHeidi is now a Hippie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My incision is covered no staples with air tight plastic dressing. I have been showering covering with press and seal ( in the cooking isle). Been told by os ok to use cane or nothing indoors. I'm. Not overdoing following instructions to the letter. Main manageable no pain meds during the day.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
@VF Its always so interesting how OS's do little things differently.
Mine was very strict on don't touch the bandage, and no shower til removal. I have heard from @charmed-life that told me about the seal and wrap for taking a shower.
That's neat!
I sure enjoyed the first shower yesterday at day 7.
The part about having to use the walker til the appt on the 14th day is actually ok. It makes me feel
less like I will hurt myself doing something I forgot or just doing something dumb....
Plus, my dogs are now home and didn't jump on me on the bed this morning because of the big
mysterious walker thing.
 
I cleaned out the dog kennel today (huge, concrete cage thee boys sleep in) they were so excited to see me they jumped up head high on me, and I am 6'1, I though about you @MajorHeidi, and wondered what the heck am I going to do with them when I get home from the hospital???
 
My 130 lb Great Pyrenees worried me - not because he jumps because he doesn't but because he pushes by me in a narrow space. But he was for some reason scared of my walker so anytime I started moving, he went to another part of the house.... :)
 
Hi @Dieter ! Wow three :dogwalk:
Right now I'm agreeing with @charmed-life in that both dogs classify the walker along with the vacuum cleaner!
:bolt:
The DH is loading them up with frequent milkybones, so they seem to only think about me on occasion.
Heidi brought over her duck toy and put it in my lap. :)
So far, the dogs have been great! Glad they were at the kennel for the first week , however......
 
Sorry, poor typing skills @MajorHeidi not three boys, the boys two of them (or as my wife says "your precious bird dogs") they pretty much live outside, but I do get them out every day to feed them...I guess I could put a bulk feeder in there for a couple of weeks
 
Oh @Dieter a bulk feeder? Hmmm my dogs would eat it all like a hamster does, and that would not be pretty.
they say cats can use bulk feeders, but dogs can be greedy. :dogsniff:
 
Post Op Day 9:
3am Bathroom break
6am Bathroom break and pills
10:30am Got up (For some reason felt VERY difficult to get up on arms to move out of bed. Everything hurt...)
Took pills per schedule and ate.
Went outside to do walking on a blue sky glorious day! Using walker, went down 3 steps and walked about 15 minutes outdoors. So pretty with redbuds, pink dogwoods, forsythia, hyacinths, and tall green grass.
How delightful that was!
My spirits were completely lifted! :loveshwr:
I hope everyone has a beautiful day wherever you are. :flwrysmile:
 
@MajorHeidi Oh, yes, I remember the nights when it was so hard to lift myself up with my arms because everything ached! Now, 4 weeks out, it is a distant memory.
 
@MajorHeidi...Every once in a while something will hurt...You are doing awesome for 9 days Claire...really you are....I wasn't outside at 9 days....lol...Keep doing what your doing...Its seems like it gets worse and then all of a sudden,,,,,,AHHHH...you turn a corner. 5 weeks for me...almost there....I feel wonderful....little tired but as I walked through my yard today I was over whelmed with feelings...I can't wait to hug my Doctor and say Thank you!!!..Beautiful day,,,,and a Beautiful life ahead of you....:flwrysmile:
 
You're doing REALLY fantastic! At 9 days I was barely functional. I'm at 6 weeks now, and still very limited in what I can do. Granted I had the extra adventure of the 2nd, surgery for infection, which was a setback. But I will say once the muscle starts healing and getting stronger, the whole ordeal of getting in and out of bed becomes easier. My first few weeks, getting my left (surgery side) leg up on my bed was excruciating. Now it gets up there pretty easily. As for dogs, I have 2 70 pound Golden Retrievers. When I first came home, my husband had them in their crates as I got into the house, and situated in my chair. Then let them out, they were excited but kept pretty controlled. As I started to move with the walker they did ok, keeping out of harms way. Now I'm walking with just a cane, and they have adjusted prettty well. I think dogs just "sense" things, yanno? Keep healing, resting, medicating, and you'll be great. Sounds like you are already ahead of the curve.
 
@Josephine I am a bit surprised to find a surgical staple (about 1/4 inch in size) that was pulling out of
my side today about 3 inches above my waistline.
The OS did not use staples in my incision; he used internal stitches with glue.
I didn't know what was causing this pain, so I kept pulling, and finally when DH came home he
pulled the remainder of this little staple with a tweezer.
What the heck, and why was it here might you know? We put neopsporin on it, and the two ends are a bit red from where it was tugged by us. Thanks
 
Wow that's strange. Maybe you could call the o.s. and ask? On my hip about an inch above where they glued the incision I have a single stitch loop sticking out of my skin. My o.s. said that's part of the inside stitching, maybe yours is something similar? Just a thought?
 
Holy cow Clair, I agree with JoeL...you should have an after hour number to call for your OS and check what the deal with the staple might be...
 
Ya you sure as he ll don't want any chance of a random infection, trust me on that. Call your surgeon, tell the service you want a call back from the dr, or whoever is on call

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for the quick replies @JoeL @dianehelen @Dieter
I called the 24 hour surgeon/physician callback number and spoke to physician.
He said they staple your skin to place sterile drapes over the surrounding area. He said they 'usually' are removed with the drape, but apparently I had a straggler staple.
He thought it would be superficial, and covering it with neosporin and a bandaid would be fine; but watch it over the next few days to ensure it heals and nothing more becomes of it.
Just one more little thing they didn't tell me about beforehand that would have been nice, huh?
@Josephine I saved the staple in a baggy and took a pic of it, and the puncture wound on my skin. I will upload tomorrow for curiosity sake. thanks for your reply. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom