Guest viewing is limited

PKR Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My surgery was 4 weeks ago today. Doing pretty well on the whole, pain is well controlled, but really tired today. I had a really bad night for some reason, I just couldn't get comfortable and I'm sure I woke every hour. Trying to take it easy today. My first physio appointment at the hospital is tomorrow... I'm not really sure what to expect.
 
Hi, glad to hear you're doing so well, it's really early days yet. I felt that 9 weeks ish was a very positive turning point. Am 14 weeks post op now and it's definitely felt like a two steps forward, one back recovery but always nudging forwards a bit. Weaned myself off Tramadol slowly by about 12 weeks, but have had to reinstate half the dose now I'm doing more. First day back at work yesterday was not too bad, but was very painful walking back to car and a difficult drive home.
However, I have felt confident enough to book an adventurous holiday in Costa Rica in November, so fingers crossed!
Only disappointment is not being able to use my exercise bike even gently for 5 mins, as the pain in my knee on moving it makes me shout for a couple of days after! Could do with building up my thigh and lower leg muscles.
Are you starting regular physio now? Is that the norm for Wales as we just get a 6 week post op check and then nothing for a year! My friend is waiting for a TKR in Wales, probably Neville Hall at Abergavenny, so she will be interested in your experience.
My son gets married in 2 weeks and my scar is so neat I have been able to get a shortish dress :). E45 cream works a treat. How is yours looking now?
Hope all continues to go well.
 
Well I had my first physio session today and I'm rather proud of myself. I am just over 5 weeks now and was able to get to 95 bend and although I'm not sure of the measurement she was really pleased how much I could straighten it on the bed considering how swollen it still is. I've been on the exercise bike and when she measured again I could get to 105 bend. Can now walk with one crutch indoors and two outside. Have another physio in two weeks time. She didn't do anything to hurt me and said it was counterproductive to push the knee too hard. Hallelujah!! Hope you are getting on well @Mai5ie. Your post @alija was really heartening that things will get easier. Fabulous news about your son's wedding and your scar. Mine is certainly in no condition to show off to people . Am in no rush to cut down on my painkillers yet though and she was quite happy with this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@alija and @lori107 Good to hear from you both. I'm not too sure what to expect at physio tomorrow, how long I'll be there or how many subsequent appointments I'll have. I'll just have to wait and see I suppose. I'll fill you in after the session! My surgery was in Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest, part of the Hywel Dda health board. I was told I would have a 6 week check up back at the hospital, but the appointment that has come through is not until 30th May, that'll be 8 weeks post op. From what I understand, my surgeon is now on holiday!
I'm still taking paracetamol and ibuprofen 3 times a day, plus lanzoprazole for the stomach lining. My scar is looking pretty good I think and I'm hoping it won't be too unsightly in a few months. I can actually walk a little without crutches indoors now, but I use one for safety's sake when I'm outdoors.
@alija Great news about your son's wedding!
My son is driving me up to Yorkshire on Saturday, I'm going to stay with my brother for a week or so. It'll mean that I'll be able to visit my mum and see my sisters too. I'm looking forward to having a change of scenery to be honest, I'm getting real cabin fever now.
 
Everyone sounds so good! Maisie enjoy your time at your brothers. And don't overdo with your sisters! Costa Rica sounds awfully good in November. I love the Caribbean is beautiful and if I ever hit the lottery that's where I am living! Take care all!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@Mai5ie, I should imagine that as you are in Wales and I am in England that the physio would be fairly similar. I am seeing my consultant next Thursday which will be 6 weeks post op. That's pretty impressive that you are able to walk indoors without crutches. I don't feel strong enough to manage that yet. I hope you have a lovely time in Yorkshire with your family. My parents used to live in North Yorkshire but moved moved further down the country as dad was finding the driving distance too much but we spent many happy years visiting them there when our children were small. Take things easy and as @Jozilla said don't overdo it. We have a cruise round the Mediterranean booked for the end of August so I am really hoping I am much fitter than I was last time we went away. Good luck with your physio tomorrow. I have another one in 2 weeks as she said you are seen fortnightly up until about 3 months then they review you. Take care all:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@lori107 I'm so envious of your cruise in August! I love cruising and have done one every summer for the last 6 years. Nothing booked for this year though.
 
I also love cruising! Sounds like heaven to me. I don't even care if we get off the ship!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
No me neither @Jozilla. Often we don't get off at each port but dying to go back to Venice as I found the steps up and down the bridges a nightmare last time. Hopefully I'll be much better by the time we go this year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Well, just back from my first physio appointment. All went well, ROM 100. Did a few gentle exercises whilst being assessed. Physio was lovely, she wants to work on exercises to strengthen my quads. Went into the gym and managed a few full rotations on the bike and did some balancing work. Have another appointment in a fortnight, this time to attend a knee replacement school in the gym. Patients do a circuit of various exercises in the gym under the physio's supervision, session takes about 45 minutes. I shall attend this 'school' for 6 weeks.
 
Way to go @Maisie! Full rotations is quite an accomplishment. PT sounds like it will be good.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
It was actually really good to get out of the house today. Took a taxi to the hospital, spent time with the physio, then decided to treat myself to lunch in Marks&Spencer, which happens to be right next door. Taxi home again... quite a good couple of hours out!
 
Little outings can be good!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
That's great progress @Mai5ie , the physio sessions sound really helpful. Interesting how different it is just across the border. I saw an Advanced Physio, instead of the Consultant, at my 6 week check but that is the only input until my annual check next year. Could have done with some advice on what and what not to do, especially in the earlier weeks. This website has guided me through - so glad I found it.
At 14 weeks I have definitely turned another corner - back at work 2 days in a pretty heavy job and so far no repercussions. Almost off the painkillers completely and can just about descend our stairs alternately, slowly and with much caution! Am using massage instead of pills if it gets sore, works a treat. I have now booked 4 holidays and love the thought that they should be pain free at last!
There is light at the end of the tunnel, keep up the good work.
 
Mais5ie So glad you had a good OS appointment with a lunch out and hope that you have an equally good visit with your brother and mum. Tomorrow heading off for my OS appointment and hoping to be medically released so I can fly back home to see my grandson (had surgery in another state as the partial was not offered in our area). Have a great visit.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Mai5ie, how's things for you now. I'm 6 and a half weeks post op now. Was doing really well but had a setback after trying to do too much and tried to cut right down on oxynorm but didn't realise how utterly painful it still is til i stopped them. How's physio, are you doing very much exercise? I'm doing all the ones I was given by my physio at the Nuffield and walking with one crutch. I've tried without and I just limp really badly. Hi @Jozilla, how are you, are you still getting on really well? Hi as well to @pippi and @alija hope you're both good. Haven't been out this weekend. The weather here has been wet and extremely windy so I couldn't go in the hot tub either. :(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Maisie and Lori - all is good with me. I have been fighting a cold but that's it. We have had a few gorgeous days here so I was enjoying it before it cools down. Directed my DH in planting flowers though I did do a little gardening. It was Mothers Day here in the U.S. so it was a busy day. Lori you sound like you are doing great. Use the crutch or cane as long as you need to. I used mine for months as I felt safer with it and it offered protection in crowds! Everyone have a nice evening!
 
Hi @Jozilla, @pippi, @lori107 and @alija, I'm back! Had a lovely time away with family, I'm walking without crutches now! Son has been in hospital today for an ACL reconstruction and lateral menisectomy. He was in hospital at 7.30am and returned home at 9.30pm. It's a good job that I'm getting around quite well because I'll need to look after him now. Physio for me again tomorrow...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom