Guest viewing is limited

PKR Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jozilla Your comment about YouTube made me laugh out loud. Heaven forbid that I'd subject anyone to that!
 
I couldn't resist and thought of myself too! Just know how bad I must have looked with a panic attack thrown in for good measure. Lol


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@Jozilla It's good to know we're all in the same boat and experiencing similar things.
 
Yes it helps to share our recoveries. If you can find her thread @jeano had partial and a wonderful recovery. She has been off line but is back now. Personally I think our recoveries are the same. Mine was also good thankfully. I will get my other knee done in September. Glad it will be done but not looking forward to recovery. Have a great day!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi @Mai5ie and @Jozilla, hope you are having a good day. Hubby bought me a cross stitch tapestry to keep me occupied so its nice to have something to focus on. This forum is as lifesaver for me as I don't feel like I'm such a failure when I can't do the things I want to do. Had a bit of a breakthrough last night. I actually managed to sleep on my side. I put the ice cuff on and it cushioned my knee, not super comfy but I did manage to get some sleep. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@lori107 The last couple of days, I've managed to get a bit of sleep on my side too. I've used a soft pillow between my legs; once I've managed to get myself into position, it's quite comfy for a while. I'm still wakening with some pain in the night though. My knee seems to stiffen when it's been in one position for a while, getting out of bed and walking down the hall and back seems to help loosen it up. I'm not normally one for nocturnal wanderings, but it seems necessary at the moment!
 
I find exactly the same problem @Mai5ie, my knee gets very stiff really quickly and I have to move it about again to get it going. I also keep getting 'jumpy legs' in both legs where my legs feel really restless. I do get this from time to time but I am finding I am getting them so frequently since the surgery they are driving me mad. Anyone got any good ideas?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!
@Mai5ie and @lori107, stiffness after periods of inactivity, i.e., sitting or lying down, is part of the package that comes during recovery from TKR. You may find that this lasts for months. However, usually just getting up and taking a few steps will alleviate it.

The following article from our Library addresses "jumpy legs": Restless legs following knee replacement surgery

You are both in the very early stages of recovery. Just take things slow and easy, follow the BoneSmart mantras, and pamper those knees. Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@lori107 I won't be 3 weeks post op till Thursday, (surgery was 3rd April.) I had a partial replacement not a total, I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes at this stage.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
Great to read about your successful recovery and your recovery efforts with your partial. Meeting new milestones are really rewarding, not the least of which is the feeling of finally feeling really clean. Woo hoo!
Pippi


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@bottomshollow, thanks for pointing out the article on restless leg syndrome. I have probably exhausted most of the remedies for it but there are a couple there I could still try. I keep thinking I should be further on in my recovery. I am trying desperately to walk with one crutch but I am leaning over quite a lot when I do which I'm not sure is such a great idea. I did have a varus problem with my knee, 7° out on the angle of my leg which was corrected during the surgery so I'm worried I'm doing more harm than good. Morning @Mai5ie and @Jozilla, I hope you all have a good day. :)


Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Good morning all! I was (am) bowlegged and my leg straightened. It hasn't happened in awhile but you bought back memories of my jumping leg at night especially. I never twitched so much - my leg was supernatural. It was disturbing to me and hubby who I think felt it a few times. I guess it is a normal part of recovery but is weird. It happened for a couple months to me and then went away. I now haven't thought about it until this post

I do see a neurosurgeon for severe back osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis. I saw him about two months after my tkr. He said it was a reaction to pain. (I felt my pain was controlled though). For me he prescribed a muscle relaxer and gabapentin a nerve medication. I also have a pinched nerve in that leg which I had before surgery.

Personally I think it is just a side effect of surgery and will gradually disappear. Also I now remember also using a heating pad on my thigh - ice on the knee - right before bedtime for about 15 minutes. It helped relax the thigh muscle.

Talk to you later. Things improve so much you forget what you went thru!!!

XoxoJoAnne


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
@lori107 Hi. Sorry to hear about your restless legs. I didn't sleep very well last night and I think I've overdone things a bit today. I feel really tired now, so I'm on the bed icing and elevating! So frustrating when the mind is willing but the body won't comply!
 
Morning all! Had a much better night last night, so feeling pretty good this morning. Throughout my recovery so far, my younger son, who lives with me, has been absolutely wonderful. He's really looked after me, has done everything around the house, all the shopping etc., as well as working full time. He's always been very sporty and over the years has had a number of knee problems as a consequence. He's been waiting for an ACL reconstruction for 16 months now. This morning, he had a phone call from the hospital... his surgery is scheduled for 14th May! Looks as if the tables will be turned and I'll be the carer before very long!
 
So happy to hear about your son's news!! Such a long wait but glad he has a date soon. Your positive attitude and great recovery has to make him feel good too. Sounds like a caring young man. Enjoy the day!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I don't want to speak too soon, but I haven't needed any pain meds for the last 2 nights! I'm still taking them as prescribed during the day, but I just haven't woken up in pain! Yay!!
 
Great that you are able to wean off if your pain meds. I have been trying the same but am combining the warning off of pain meds with bouts if stupidity (meaning I go off the pain meds, do my PT and ramp up my activity). Now you just know my knee is going to remind me that it still in charge!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I'm being very cautious, I'm not in any hurry to be medication free and I certainly won't be a martyr if I need them. As everyone on here says, this is a marathon not a sprint. Take care @pippi.
 
Exactly what my doctors office said to me - don't be a martyr! Take it easy and if you need meds take them. It will help your recovery.


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I'm definitely not ready to give my oxynorm yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom