PKR Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my first proper outing today! Son and grandson took me out for lunch, it was so lovely to have a change of scenery. I suppose we must have been out for about 2 hours altogether... I had a sleep when we got home!
 
So glad for you to be post surgery now and moving along with your sons support as well. Wishing you well in the days ahead. This is my fifth week post op and I find it always so helpful to read about how other
"partials" are doing. Welcome again to the ranks and you are not alone. Take care.
Pippi


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

I'm still only a fortnight post-op, but feel I'm doing ok so far.
 
Glad to hear that. I hope things continue to go well for you.
Pippi


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Had a lovely afternoon today, sat out in the sunshine watching my grandson play with his remote controlled car and his bow and arrow! When we came in, he hoovered the house for me... not bad for a 7 year old! Bless him.
 
Wow - great that your grandson helped you out. Glad you are enjoying your time with him!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
14 days post op, staples out. Looking quite neat I think!
[Bonesmart.org] Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!
 
Glad to hear you are on the other side at last and are doing well. I will be interested to follow your progress as a fellow partial. I have been away in Bristol for a while whilst my stepson had major heart surgery. I am trying not to worry or get despondent but am now over 13 weeks post op and still feel I am struggling more than I should be. Still taking max paracetamol and some Tramadol and only gave up walking stick last week, due to pain after walking without. Can only walk slowly for less than an hour before needing to find a coffee shop to get my leg up! Made looking for a dress for my son's imminent wedding a bit of a chore. How are your pain levels now? Sounds like you have lots of support to help you on your journey which will make it easier. Good Luck.
 
Had my first proper outing today! Son and grandson took me out for lunch, it was so lovely to have a change of scenery. I suppose we must have been out for about 2 hours altogether... I had a sleep when we got home!
That is what it is all about!! These little sojourns make the PKR so much more worth it---that is what it is all about!! Normalcy!

It is all about reclaiming the life---and the PKR is allowing you to do that!
 
@alija So sorry to hear about your stepson's surgery. My sister had major heart surgery just over a year ago, I remember what a worrying time it was. She's doing really well now though. I hope all goes well for him.

I'm taking maximum paracetamol and ibuprofen. The pain I'm experiencing isn't what I'd expected at all, it's muscular/stiffness, which I'm attributing largely to the bruising and swelling. It's definitely manageable; I'd say my pain levels rarely get above a 3. I took Tramadol for a short while in hospital, but it made me feel completely away with the fairies! I was seeing things floating in front of my eyes, if I tried to read I was seeing double and it gave me an unbearable dry mouth. I'm still using crutches to get around and seriously think that walking 'normally', without my limp, is going to be a challenge for the future. It's hard to predict how long it will be before I feel completely well, but I've already decided that I'm not going to try to rush my recovery. I'm a teacher in a primary school; if it means I won't be back to work full-time until September, after the summer holidays, then so be it.

Keep in touch, as I too am interested in how other 'partials' are getting on. Sue
 
Another milestone today... I managed a shower this morning! No mean feat as my shower is over my bath. Getting out of the bath was harder than getting in, but wow, do I feel better! Fresh and clean for the first time since before surgery!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!
Congarts! on getting that shower, @Mai5ie. Isn't amazing how wonderful the "little" things are? Savor all your milestones and store them up to give you a boost when things seem to be going a bit slow and you're getting a bit down. It's important to think about how far we've come and not get bogged down in how far we have to go.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@Mai5ie, wow that's impressive, getting over the bath. I'm still struggling to get my leg over the shower door. You sound like you're doing really well. I'm 4 weeks tomorrow and I am noticing little improvements. Am starting physio this week. It got delayed due to the slow healing of the wound and all the blisters which are still very prominent. I managed to get down the step into the garden today for the first time. I also cleaned the bathroom and put the washing up away and folded all the washing. But after standing for 10 minutes or more I come up so hot I can hardly breathe, does anyone else find this? Hi @ bottomshollow. @lavender. Hope everyone had a nice Easter break.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@lori107 I did get over the bath, but it was something of a feat of engineering! I sat on the corner of the bath and lifted my operated leg over the side with a long scarf. Then I moved my good leg across. I stood by levering myself up on the taps. Once I was upright, showering was no problem. Getting out of the bath was more difficult, because I had to manoeuvre myself backwards to lower myself onto the corner of the bath again. Something that I've learnt from this surgery is just how creative I can be when I have to!

I'm sorry to hear about the slow healing of your wound. I'm really pleased with mine; I think it's going to heal very well. Standing for any period of time is definitely draining. I remember becoming very hot and breathless when I was in hospital, but not now. I'm just finding that everything I try to do is taking at least 10 times longer than normal. Good luck with physio this week; my first appointment is the end of next week.
 
@lori107 - I think you just overdid it. Sounds like you did too much to me. This surgery takes a lot out of you and four weeks is very early. I don't know if you check your blood pressure but it would be a good idea. Also if you see your doctor see if you can have complete blood work. I feel that way when my B12 level is low.

@Mai5ie - you are doing awesome. Way to go with the shower. I had a panic attack my first time. I got in and could not figure out how to get out! Josephine suggested I use leg lifter which I never thought of. Keep up the great updates!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Hi @Jozilla, I know I'm probably doing too much but I'm starting to get really frustrated. I know what I want to do but when I go to do it I find I either can't do it or it takes me 100 times longer than it normally would. I have also been trying to walk with just one crutch rather than two but I am finding that I am leaning really heavily on it so perhaps I should still be using two. What do you all think? @Mai5ie, I bet you getting in and out of the bath would have been fun to watch :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@lori107 Thank goodness no-one saw me getting in and out of the shower! Not a pretty sight I'm sure. I've started hobbling about with one crutch indoors, mainly because it frees up one hand. I'm trying really hard to concentrate on walking normally, heel, ball, toe, but progress is very slow. I'll get there eventually.
 
@Mai5ie, that's exactly the reason why I am trying to use just one crutch as it is Impossible to pick anything up and carry it. I am also really struggling with the heel toe walking, think I have a way to go yet. So you're 3 weeks post op are you?


Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
@lori107 I won't be 3 weeks post op till Thursday, (surgery was 3rd April.) I had a partial replacement not a total, I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes at this stage.
 
Hi Maisie - I think we should all be videoed trying the shower for the first time. From what I have read here recovery for partials is very similar to totals. So yes give yourself credit you are having a great recovery. @lori107 if you are more comfortable and stable with two crutches use them! We are all so different. I see that you are much younger than I am - I do believe it is harder for recovery the younger you are. Just by what I have read on BS I think the expectations are different. If you can find it check out Karrington's recovery thread - who has done well and is younger. Her thread can give you a better perspective on this.

Take care - I expect to see you on YouTube soon Mai5ie!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom