Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys i am on a cane now...well 2 one in each hand. PT gave me canes (walking sticks) at day 4. I find the walker inhibiting....can't stand tall and walk properly.
Knees are aching tonight. After a brilliant night last night I have been restless tonight and finally got up and walked to nurses station to ask for more endone. Knees are settling now. May get a few more zzzzzs tonight. Cheers Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Maggie, you're doing great! May I ask something without sounding like a total wet blanket? Although I think it's great that you're using just 1 or 2 canes to get around, do they provide enough support should one of your knees buckle or (heaven forbid) you trip? Would you be able to catch yourself? I am envisioning American style canes that are held with your hands and are hip height, not sure if they're they same for you. I found that crutches (the long ones that rest under your armpits) provided much better support and security for when I would lose my balance.

I did also find that each time I was able to switch to a different walking aide (MUCH slower than you are), that my knee pain would increase for a bit due to the increased amount of pressure put on it. I hope you're feeling better and that your pain is under control!
 
Thanks @DogLoverx3. Yes the sticks I have are the same as your canes. I am using the walker to get in and out of bed and to go to the bathroom. I gave not been offered crutches....I'll ask. The sticks are for walking the corridors and i agree they do not provide the same sopport as the frame. Can't say for crutches but will defer to your experience.
Thanks for your concern and i will definitely follow up the crutches. Cheers Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
:-) Crutches allowed me to work on my gait very well as they can be adjusted to any height so weren't prohibitive like the walker (glad you're still using that to get in and out of bed and go to the bathroom) while still providing better support than a cane. Just thought I'd mention it. I know every protocol is different, I would just err on the side of caution. You are doing wonderfully well, Maggie!!
 
Wow - yes, that's why I asked about sticks vrs crutches - I feel good and steady with the crutches but I'm not sure about the cane and I'm one leg up and a day ahead!

On the plus side they have confidence in you but I'd rather stay upright than take a chance on a fall when there is no need.
 
Hi @Maggie94 I find that I feel more secure on 2 crutches. Must admit will use just 1 to free up a hand when trying to do things. My walk is much better with 2, almost normal!! With 1 I find I have a bit of a lurch happening.
Must be something in the air last night, very long and uncomfortable, worst since I have been home. Hope you settled off ok and got some zzzzs. Hmmmm were they not answering your bell, or did you prefer to walk to nurses station?.
A new day, some sunshine although clouding over. Off to GP today to sort out meds. Big day ahead
Take it steady, remember not a race, some TLC for knees I find is required often.
Diane
 
@Maggie94 - you might find that the protocol is different in rehab than the hospital. I found that they were much more attentive to me solidly reaching each stage of my progress before moving me on to the next step. I used a wheelchair for a bit - to go the distances like to the rehab gym and dining room, but used the walker for around the room and in the gym. Then, when I was ready - the walker was for the long distances and 2 canes to work on my stride. This was all aimed at me leaving rehab using one cane for longer and no cane for shorter. Take your time and don't rush. You've got two knees needing your attention. Yesterday, I walked around a mega-mall shopping with our granddaughter and today I stood for 2 hours while she warmed up and then played her soccer game. I couldn't have done either of those things prior to surgery, less than 3 months ago. Patience is the key. You are doing amazingly well - I'm blown away by the strides you've taken in such a very short time. Just be careful, please.
 
@Maggie94 I'd be careful with going to the canes. I found I could walk without the walker after about 4 days but I kept it for another week, started moving around my house without anything and then went to one cane after 2 weeks. Just be careful there are no bonus points for getting rid of the walking aids early eh. I hope you sleep well tonight. I had that stupid leg twitching thing last night. This evening its a couple of Tylenol 3's, Ice packs on the knees and watching the super Bowl "Go Pat's". Kind of over did it this weekend, two snowstorms in a row, up and down the stairs to much and were getting 2 Ft of snow tomorrow. Take care.
 
Thanks Sandra and Harry. I was surprised at the move to sticks but have to admit i didn't take much notice of this when rrading recovery threads. I agree re the walker... will see what they say at rehab

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Discharge info 6 days post BTKR. Had dressings changed prior to heading to rehab. Right knee poc at end. I'm very impress3d with guys sewing.
Also had PT asseaament with the pt who needd s personality transplant. Left knee is 85 flex and -5 extend right is 95 and -1
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Waiting for patients transprt to rehab and waiting...and waitong. Cheets Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
No staples. Wow, I felt like the tin man with mine. Good ROM numbers Maggie almost exactly like mine when I came out of the hospital. The rehab hospital will be good for you. They don't do that here and I think it would be good. Hope they get you transferred and settled in soon.

Cheers, Harry.
 
@oldrugbyprop - it's strange how our healthcare is run by the provinces, so what was not unusual in BC isn't provided in NB. I didn't go to rehab because I'm an "oldie" but because I had bilaterals and had flights of stairs to face at home. One of the other "inmates" while I was in rehab was a youngish bodybuilder who had just had bilaterals. I wish the provinces would work together to get a more uniform country wide system.

You are exactly a month behind me and I hope you are doing well.
 
@Threads it is funny how it varies like that, We do have rehab centers but it was never suggested as somewhere I would go having the bilateral done. We are a month apart and I'm coming along good, would love to sleep at night but It's better every week.
 
@oldrugbyprop - the sleep will come. There were nights that I'd be wandering the house at all hours of the night, as you are doing now. I found that up until very recently, I could only sleep on my back. Now, I'm back to side sleeping without a problem. My knees are happy in that position now. Patience is the hardest thing with this journey. I actually stood for 2 hours today during our granddaughter's soccer warm up and game. Something that I couldn't even dream of doing just 3 months ago!

@Maggie94 - I trust they've got you tucked in snugly into your new temporary home. I'm looking forward to hearing the stories of your progress.
 
@Maggie94. Well done on your journey so far. I'm in South Australia. I was given a walker to begin with. This lasted one hour, when the physio found me carrying it ( well it was in my way). Then he went off and came back with a cane. I was never offered crutches. I don't think my OS likes his patients to use them. I never had them with my PKR either. Odd how their are so many differing protocols.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great going Maggie..like @shelli22 I used the walker once the day after surgery and found I was just picking it up and carrying it for a few steps then picking it up again...went to crutches for a few days and hated them too..you are progressing really well...my OS drilled into my that it is really difficult to hurt the implants unless you fall and break a bone so don't do that......the cane is what made me careful and helped with my stability don't rush but if it feels ok do it.....incision looks pretty good too...you go girl

Vinny
 
ROM numbers sound great! I imagine mine are similar but have no actual idea - not until Friday. Very interesting that Aussies don't do crutches. I have a cane somewhere, I'll test it out later but I love that I can walk perfectly normally with either one or two crutches. Usually one, the second seems unnecessary in the house but I will certainly use it outside.

Sorry your PT needs a personality - that seems like a profession that should insist on friendliness as a job qualification! Hope the rehab has a great PT team. Are you there and all settled in?
 
Very interesting that Aussies don't do crutches.
I think a lot depends on the individual surgeon and his/her protocols.

Here in NZ, I had a walker for the first day (well, it was somewhere to hang the catheter bag!) and then crutches. My surgeon prefers the short (forearm) crutches, but I was allowed to use underarm crutches, since I already had a pair. I progressed to forearm crutches, two at first and then just one, and then to a stick, then nothing. That was all done at my own pace, when I felt ready.

Although it's more than 4 months since my surgery, I still keep a stick in my car, for use if the ground is slippery or rough - or for warning people to stay clear in crowds.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom