Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok lets play knee clock leg out in front of you ankle is 12 and thigh is 6 - I have pain in my left leg at about 11 - it is not the knee but just off it - I think it is the tibia hurting - hurts when I lift it or get up to walk. Has anyone got an explanation or getting the same pain?
 
Let's ask @Josephine to post her charts so that you can identify exactly where the pain is, and then she might be able to suggest the cause and a possible course of action.
 
Thanks @Celle

@Maggie94 Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins


[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins
 
HI @Josephine - pain comes and goes but when its there is is not pleasant - area is LF4 bottom of D going into E - thanks, Maggie
 
Well, I think that might be an ITB (ilio-tibial band) issue. It's quite common after TKR and mostly caused by exercises.

Sooo - I'm going to ask you some questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins
)
Also don't forget to include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
@Josephine - the pain is lower and more medial than IT band symptoms (had this on the right knee). It is almost a shin type pain - level 3ish peaking to 5 on occasion - it is not constant and is like an ache
2 - meds - 5mg targin at night only (oxy) - will stop in about 5 days when these run out
3 & 4 no longer icing - have legs up on lounge when sitting there but otherwise no elevation
5 ROM on both is 0/130
6 fairly active - cook, shop dog walk - walk between 6,000 & 10,000 steps a day
7 doing stretches for adductors, IT band, hamstrings and quads
 
Maggie that sounds like it will go away with a day or two of taking it easy..hard to believe it is already over 3 months since your surgery......

Vinny
 
If it is an IT band issue, you can not only stretch, but use an ice massage---take a Dixie cup, fill it full of water and freeze it.

You then apply the ice directly to the painful area, and, as the ice melts, you peel the Dixie cup away.
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins
 
the pain is lower and more medial than IT band symptoms
Maybe but the IT band does go down the tibia quite a distance, you know. Of is it even farther down than this?

[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins


doing stretches for adductors, IT band, hamstrings and quads
I did ask for details my dear - like this **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
Fingers crossed for you pal

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I tried that and found tramodol was better in the mix.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
no good with no drugs.... took 10mg oxy at 10.30pm (usually took these at 6pm)... got some sleep:sleeep: sure beat the tossing and turning:bored:... how long does this leg pain go on??? hurties and I no likie
 
Oh Maggers it does go but I know when you are in the middle of yet another night of hard to sleep and leg thhrobbimg with that achey pain. I would say patience but naaaaa thats not you, not long too go im sure.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Awe Maggie..sorry to hear this..you NEED sleep my friend..maybe call your doc and see if they have any solutions for ya...sending good and sleepy thoughts to you...
 
Maggie, the pain you're describing can continue for quite some time....even months like you're experiencing. And it usually hangs on at night when you're trying to sleep, most likely because you are not moving around much.

When I was at your stage, I used to get up in the night and do 5 minutes on my exercise bike to relieve the discomfort. Then I'd head back to bed with a Tramadol and ice packs. It's just part of the process of recovery.

You could try a 1000mg dose of acetaminophen at bedtime and icing your knees as you sleep if you want to stop the prescription pain meds. But frankly, there is nothing wrong with using whatever medication does the best job for you. Even though it's over 3 months now since your surgery, you are still recovering. And having both knees done just adds to the fun. Most people don't start really feeling themselves again until at least 6 months out.
 
Well now I am set - new packet of 5mg oxy - YEY - relief. Dr was perfectly understanding - you want 5s or 10s? Its a trust thing - they now me and know I'm not an abuser.... well I do swig them down with a glass of wine but hey what ever works
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom