Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Maggie...Miss you and sorry I have not been online much....nice to see you are doing well....I think the everyday things,particularly walking Freyja and friends is great for the knees....just passed 6 months and hardly know I have them....you will be there very soon...

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @vinny Agree. It seems the better we get the less we are on BS. I am at 4months propper today 28 May.... Did double doggie walks then took an old boy for a toilet break walk for 30mins. Home for lunch then met a friend and her 2 pups for yet more walkies... Just love being out and about w da doggies. All is good except the night pains. And they really are a pain!!. I take heed of your story and your freedom at 6 months...I am 2/3 there
 
Thanks @vinny Agree. It seems the better we get the less we are on BS.
And that's the way it should be. As you get better, you move back into normal life.
BS is here to support you when you need it and, while we're sorry to see friends go, we are happy that they are picking up the reins of their everyday lives.
 
Gosh where has that four months gone @Maggie94 - time does fly as our recovery improves. So pleased to read that you are getting quality time with the dogs - good for you Aussie girl x
 
another big "normal"today with my first visit to the gym in about 9 months - 4 months post new knees. I could do leg extensions, presses and curls - none of which I have been able to do for years - yey feel the power!!!
 
I had second day back at the gym yesterday - 10 mins each on the bike and the cross trainer) followed by 10 x 3 sets of each leg curls (40kg), extensions(25kg) and pushes (50kg) - very light weights for me compared to what I used to do. This week I have felt stronger, and I've had more stamina - more steps towards my normal. Doggie walking is full on and my little Freyja accompanies me most days - just in heaven with her and the other pooches milling around. Legs are working so much better - I haven't taken my stick with me for the last 2 weeks - YEY I am stick free:wowspring:

On the drugs front I've stopped the oxy (but still have some) and am facing the nights with magnesium for cramps and tylenol / panadol. Sort of winning but IF things get rough(er) then I am back on the oxy. The night pain is the pits, twitching, shooting, searing you name it it happens - guess its nerves getting sorted BUT why only at night:shrug:? My guess is that its because you are not moving so pain is masked. Ho hum I'm sure that this too will pass in time.

I have to also say that the other day I was sitting in the car and I thought I am so glad I did both legs together.... I can't imagine going thru all I have over the last 4 months to turn around and do it all again. So glad that my OS agree to the double:yes!:

Wine glass needs a top up... cheers all - Maggie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh nooooooooooo....another gym rat!!!!! I wish I had been born with that gene instead of the couch potato gene, lol.
Great report, Maggie. Onward and upward!
Cheers! :cheers:
Karen
 
Hi @Maggie94 enjoyed reading your journey - just waiting for mine to start. What type of icing do you use? I am pretty much all set for everything else but I am on the hump for the decision of an ice machine!! I, too, love the gym but I have been MIA for a few months because when the knees are killing me I can't stand to add more exercise uncomfortable - something has to be comfortable if you get my drift!! But as soon as I can get back to my weights I am ready. I have an upright exercise bike that I ride at least 3 times a week to keep my legs strong..... So we shall see what comes after!!
 
hey @iivesfam5 - Thanks for reading my ramblings - I hope you have found some insight. Congratulations on going the double - harder at first but I think well worth the effort in the long run.

Re icing i used DuroKold knee icebags - they come with a cover that you can put them in and then velcro to your knee, I just used the ice with a tea towel between that and my knees.check out broken link removed: https://amazon I got the large size - I'm 5'9" @vinny put me onto these - he is also a bilateral. Have you read my pre op thread? Just info on getting me and the house ready.

If you are into gym / exercise try to work on making your quads as strong as possible - and so quad and hamstring stretches as much as you can - having these muscles in top order makes things much easier on the other side.

Keep in touch - all the very best for 16th July - it will be here before you know it - cheers Maggie x
 
Just caught up on your recovery. Congrats on getting back to the gym and walking stick-free! I hope the night pain sorts itself out sooner than later.
 
thanks @Wrangler - I am quietly chuffed - still a work in progress but feeling confident. And yes hoping the night pains disappear sooner rather than... - cheers Maggie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
amen to the quad build up pre op....helped me a great deal with the quick recovery......Wish I could get back to the gym Maggie....I lived there before the surgery in agony and now that I am pain free I just play golf and eat donuts.....enjoying the new knees too much.....yippee....

Vinny
 
Playing golf - and the walking you do between holes - is pretty good exercise for your knees.
 
It's wonderful and the main reason I don't go to the gym...I walk the course 4 times a week pushing the cart up and down hills....things i'could not do before the surgery as I quit playing 2 months before and was only able to play 9 holes riding around with a handicap flag...I have had a few days when I would play 36 now that I am retired.....

Vinny
 
@vinny I wish I had known about the quad work before hand. I am paying for it now with serious atrophy in the quads. I hope my OS isn't giving up on me.
 
Never too late @wberry ....I read beforehand that the quad strength is cut in half by the surgery so the theory was the stronger they are before the better they will be after....but it does return eventually and you are still only 3 months..hang in there ..walking is great..

Vinny
 
Had a great start to the day - got woken by a soft kiss from Freyja at 8am... poor little soul needed a pee. Back to bed reading with coffee listening to jazz then dropped Ms F of for a play date and headed to the gym. Upped the anti on the leg press to 60kg (+10) and the leg curl was up to 70kg... don't know why so much more but the 40 I did earlier in the week as a doddle so I just uped the anti till there was some effort!!!! Leg extension still at 25... this is the hardest one to build back the quads. Additional work on the cross trainer and bike and YEY feeling soooo close to normal!!!!

The dog walking and gym have contributed to an increase in stamina and I am now turning off the light at about 9.30-10pm (instead of 7.30-8) and still waking (usually) between 5.30-6am. Just means that now I feel confident to do big girl things like go out to dinner (won't fall asleep in the plate) and go to evening movies.

Over the last couple of nights I have also noticed that the night pain is less in intensity frequency and duration - fingers crossed that this too is moving out the door.

@vinny I don't know if I have time to fit in golf at the moment. I think I will put the bite on one of my golfing mates for an invite to something that does not need a handicap... I've let my stuff lapse so have to go back and put cards in which I will do when I feel that I am ready to commit to it.

Hope all are well in BS land - Maggie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom