Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
:no-fin: Well, you know you're gonna hear from us here advising that you not take your opiate pain meds with wine.....

But I'm glad you were able to get your prescription refilled. It really does help having a good rapport with your doctors.
 
@Jamie My OS has no prob with a glass of wine at night (knowing that oxy taken 6pm ish). The rehab hospital I was in also provided a glass or wine or a beer with dinner (on request) - so from an Ozzie perspective there does not seem to be a problem with a "little" drop in conjunction with meds. Agree that going overboard on either is not a good look.

@Drachenschwanz life is too short to drink bad wine - Australia makes the best wines in the world in my opinion (they sit so well on my pallet :roseshwr: - a lot of our reds are big and gutsy - so full of flavors - love them). I buy my wines at auction. I have a friend who trades wine internationally.. $thousands per bottle - not my league but he is a good guide to years and areas to buy from - hic (joking)

Hope all are well in BS land - I'm happy with meds on board - so thankful for my country and my DRs - sorry that you US people have a real battle on your hands for pain relief - whats the story in the UK?
 
So sorry that my motto became "Nothing in moderation"...the reason I can't drink,eat ,smoke is from that motto...the only drug left for me to conquer is sugar....maybe the toughest of all....nothing wrong with those who can do it but I just proved that time and time again I could not......but the one drug I will never give up is immortalized in the Robert Palmer song...might as well face it your addicted to love..


Vinny
 
Maggie!!!!

Glad you are back on the meds and finding some relief. I hope you Are doing well in all your day to day activity.
I need to try some Aussie wine to see if it's all you say!

Cheers!!


Brenda
 
First nite w no Oxy....took 2tylenol....let's see
Bit late in the day but what strength were the Tylenol you used? If they were 325mg, that's worse than useless. The effective dose is 1,000mgs.
 
I have never found Tylenol to help me out at all (except as a fever reducer). Joint pain, muscle pain, headache & especially TKR - no effect on any sort of pain for me.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
he he all - I use Tylenol as a generic name for paracetamol - we call it Panadol over here and it comes in 500mg pills... if it works for you Laura - good one - the less meds in the system the better plus if you get more pain you just take 2 or 3 pills to knock it out:)

I must admit the the rehab hospital was pretty cool on the catering side of things - they actually had a guy who had a title of "hotel services manager" who looked after all the food and the like. I guess their point is to have things as "normal" as possible ... everyone was expected to spend the day in street clothes and not be in bed.

Just back from walking the doggies in the bush section of Centennial Park - just glorious - bright blue sky, sun and a bit of breeze with a nip in it - pups were all good so totally fantastic hour spent out and about.
 
I've always heard that effective dosages vary from person to person. If 500mg or 350mg works then quite obviously it's effective for that person. There are so many different factors that determines how well a pain reliever is going to work like weight, height, metabolic rate, diet, tolerance, allergies etc., that throwing out a one size fits all dosage seems a bit arbitrary.
 
Rick my understanding is that dosages are worked, in a lot of instances, especially over the counter meds, on an average weight person...and heaven alone knows what that is. For some reason 10 stone sticks in my mind.....but I an open to being corrected. Remember also that our Hosp admission included weight for the anesthetic n pain mgt people. Sooooo based on all of that @Drachenschwanz your observation of meds action on diff people is supported
 
Maggie...panadol was all that was prescribed for me...OS said how do you feel ? I said great and bingo take two of these and call if you have a problem. ...they are over the counter here but not out on display. You have to ask the chemist for some reason ......nice to be out doing normal things though right?

Vinny
 
Their equiv paracetamol are on stupermarket shelves. Restricted to 2 pkts per transaction
 
The issue with acetaminophen is not it's general use dosages, but using it when you have had joint replacement surgery.

In cases where a person is trying to step down from a narcotic or other prescription pain medication or if using it straight out of surgery as Vinny successfully did, acetaminophen is normally needed at the maximum dose of 1000mg 4 times a day at least to start with. As with any medication, if the pain is controlled properly at that dose then it's fine to try and reduce it further. Doses are not adjusted for body weight.

In this situation where one is weaning off prescription pain meds, most people would find a single 325mg acetaminophen tablet or even one 500mg tablet would not take care of the pain. Therefore, it is not recommended that people start at that level.

As a warning, though....one should never drink alcohol when taking acetaminophen as both are processed through the liver.
 
That is what was prescribed out of surgery but very very fortunately I did not need it...only ice .....lucky guy...6 months tomorrow and no pain compared to presurgery.....

Vinny
 
Hmmm...interesting. Jamie.
On another note, I keep hearing that "six months" is the time when people start feeling "normal" again. Hope it's true -- i could definitely use some normal!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom