Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI @wberry - no special regime - leg lifts to strengthen quads, lunges, steps & squats (in & out of pool), cycling on recliner cycle. At 6 weeks I was about 120 for both. What are your measurements - I know we shouldn't compare - this is an "interest" question
 
@Maggie94 I am currently 113/1.
I am just getting to week 6. I had an initial set back after surgery, but we got past it with more activity on the machines. I think my stamina was just not there. The regular exercise has helped a lot in that area. I am not doing lunges. Just squats, bends, knee stretches, time on recumbents, leg lifts and slides. Wish I had the hydro therapy. I stretch all weekend, ice and elevate for swelling and this week I only got 2 degrees. Maybe I should swing dangle my leg.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wberry - your numbers are fine - be patient - swelling will stop your bend - just keep moving forward slowly
 
The Girls are 11 weeks old today and I think I have reached at least 80% "normal". Back dog walking 3 times a week (doing a double today and tomorrow), mojo back for doing things thru the day - rather than spending the day on the lounge or walking round the block. Knees feel good but still stiff in the mornings, no real pain or discomfort thru the day but still taking 10mg long acting oxy at night. Tried to go with 5mg a couple of night ago.... had to take endone - so not ready to foregoe nightly meds yet.

Good vibes to all in BS land - Maggie x
 
Happy kneeversary girls!!! I'm so glad you are just about normal. I told my PT that I long for that day and she reminded me it's only been 5 weeks. Have a fabulous day, I'm headed to bed, have to train myself for my 5:30am wake ups next week.


Brenda
 
@kaw205 Hi Karen - I couldn't agree more re getting back to normal! How are you going? Are you coping with work OK?
 
Woot woot go Maggie!
Your doing so well all of us should want our knees to
Like yours when we heal
Up☺️


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've done double dog walking this morning plus walked to the post office and back for mail...according to my Fitbit I've done nearly 7kilometers (4 miles)...feet are talking to me; Girls are fine but a little stiff (time for a bit of ice)

Me thinks... don't need to go out again today + need a shower, OK, does this = PJ time??? (even though it is only 3.30 LOL) YES YES YES

OK plan of attach...finish cuppa, shower, PJs on then lounge with ice in front of TV. Sounds perfect to me:roseshwr:
 
that sounds like a WONDERFUL plan Maggie! I get to walk one of my favorite "office" mates tomorrow, I haven't seen or walked her since Feb...she is an easy walk so Im excited..been getting lots of calls and booking up for May and June and now July..looks like Im going to be a busy person again this summer..I absolutely LOVE my job!
 
@Spencieca Dogs are the best. You are one lucky woman to have a job you love that centers on these fabbo critters. Another double walk for me today.....my fave three legged boy is in our first group☺
 
Question - what is the view of walking post TKR? Was just speaking to a friend of mine who is 6 weeks out and her OS says not walking except round the house and in the pool; ride the bike and to the other PT type exercises

I'm walking between 3 & 4 miles a day.... what are others doing?
 
Im not a knees up but if you reg do that distance with no comeback answer is already there. But I am simple in oitlook

Legin THR Sep 14
 
I'm biking 30 minutes a day now. At 6 weeks, I couldn't bike yet, so I was walking about .5 miles a day.
I think at 11 weeks out, the amount of walking you do should be beneficial as long as it's not causing alot of pain afterwards. Keep on walking, girlfriend! :walking:.
 
Question - what is the view of walking post TKR? Was just speaking to a friend of mine who is 6 weeks out and her OS says not walking except round the house and in the pool; ride the bike and to the other PT type exercises.
I'm walking between 3 & 4 miles a day.... what are others doing?
Walking is the best exercise of all for your knee. Your friend's OS was probably afraid that, at 6 weeks, she might take walking to excess, in combination with the PT. All you need at 6 weeks out is still just gentle exercise, and not much of it. It's the people who try to walk 3 times around the block at only one or two weeks after surgery that I worry about.

However, you are about 11 weeks out and the amount of walking you are doing is probably fine. As long as you're not knocking yourself out with other exercise and you don't have any increased pain or swelling, you're not overworking your knees. Don't go aiming for walking 10 miles just yet, though! :rotfl:

There's no hard and fast rule. Build up gradually and cut back if you get pain or swelling afterwards. Common sense, yes? Unfortunately, common sense can be quite a rare quality.
 
I agree on the walking, I do only a block after stretching.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom