Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @BananasKnees Sleep is a lot better (says me at 1.30am LOL) but it is. Just woke for tea and Tylenol, ... and to catch up on BS. How are you and you knee kids doing? Hope you are having a top day, Maggie x
 
Hey Maggie - as one that is continually trying to get off the narcs I'll tell you it has zero to do with worry about getting dependent on them...I'm not remotely worried about that and I see no reason for you to be. It's 9 weeks! If it helps you sleep, go for it.

My body simply doesn't function correctly - I"m always vaguely nauseated, plumbing doesn't work unless I take other meds on top of the narcs and even then it's not ideal, I itch constantly and it makes me crazy, but worst of all I can tell that my brain doesn't function the same and I hate that. I'll gladly trade a little pain for none of those! It was less on vicodin so hoping that PT isn't too bad and I can take that instead of percocet.
 
Happy kneeversary Laverne and Shirley!! It's hard to imagine it's been 9 weeks already. I hope you get your meds sorted soon so you can get a full nights sleep!


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Hi Maggie, Thought I'd drop by and say hi and see how your coming along. The sleep thing will come. 10 weeks was the turning point for me though from time to time I get twitchy knees as I call it in the middle of the night and I have to stroll around the house and do some squats to settle them down. I'm sure yours are just about ready to let you sleep through the night soon. And the unsteadiness going down inclines and such will go too. I was out walking down my driveway the other day to get the paper and I realized I was strolling down my sloping ice filled driveway without any fear. Pre-op I would of been shuffling and I was up until about a month ago. So it all works itself out. Take Care.
Harry.
 
Im with you Teresa...when I was on the Oxy my brain was not functioning like it should and my "pipes" were quite clogged..then I quit cold turkey and that sent my nervous system into overdrive with chills, sweats, anxiety etc....then we tried the Tramadol and the "pipes" wouldn't stop running and nauseous and now I am on Norco and that seems to be somewhat tolerable..I only take it at night and after PT so far..hopefully the Norco will be enough after the MUA because I really don't want to go back on the Oxy! I JUST got it out of my system!
 
@oldrugbyprop Thank you for checking in Harry☺ Fingers crossed as I feel I am on the cusp of change...is that the proverbial corner ahead?
How are you traveling these days...the walk down the driveway is awesome take care my friend. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @BananasKnees Sleep is a lot better (says me at 1.30am LOL) but it is. Just woke for tea and Tylenol, ... and to catch up on BS. How are you and you knee kids doing? Hope you are having a top day, Maggie x
r
Hi Maggie, my Doc just took me off the oxycodone and put me on hydrocodone .... I'm adjusting. And gave me Flexeral to help me sleep. also, I'm icing x2 a day and heating pad at bed for 20 minutes. Do you sleep well?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Maggie!
Sorry to hear about the sleep problems but it looks like you're gettin' a handle on things! Not sleeping puts a strain on all kinds of things, including healing. Still sorting the whole sleep thing out myself. Got almost four hours last night (not, you know, all in a row or anything, lol, can't have that)! It's about 1:30 here in the morning here but should be able to sleep in (ha) since the kids are off school for spring break and there's no need to pack lunches and get them on the bus.
I've not been on lately but I'm so glad to see you're seeing a light at the end of the tunnel! I'm getting there too. Will update my thread soon, hopefully tomorrow. Lots to talk about!
G'night from this part o' the world!
 
I've been walking Black Wattle Bay in the mornings the last couple of days. Its about a mile from my house...nice to walk to on good legs...drive there then walk at the moment☺You can see the Sydney Harbour Bridge under the span of the ANZAC Bridge in the foreground
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins


Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Good walks are a biggy for me as the actual scenery etc around you helps to forget that you are even thinking about walking. Its this um thinking normalcy that shows progress.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@Drachenschwanz Hey Ric thanks for dropping by. I was wondering how you are going... I'll watch for your update:flwrysmile::yay:

As you have read I'm getting there - slow and steady but getting there - more tortoise than hare. The stamina and sleep issues are the main bugs... sleep is getting better the last few days (decided not to be a hero and to give into pain and use meds). I actually thought of going to the gym this morning to have a shot on the cross trainer (fondly called the cross dresser by us gals - LOL)... gave that a miss in favour of a walk on the harbour - see pic in my post above:walking:This walk has the added benefit of me being able to "chat" to a bunch of 4 legged darlings - so there is an extra therapy dimension to this activity. hope you are now in the land of nod zzzzzz - cheers Maggie x
 
What a beautiful view! I would love to walk there. I keep hoping that you will finally get a full nights sleep and I'm cheerleading you on from here!


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Wow, now THAT is a view...I would LOVE to get to Australia one day and I WILL! One of my dear friends is Aussie and she is thinking of moving back, she currently lives here in San Diego..I feel pretty fortunate that we have some beautiful areas to walk here in So. CA also and of course we have the beaches...One of the reasons that I LOVE my job as a petsitter...Not really any "bad" day to walk a few pups! Hope you found some sleep..I was able to get some Zzzz's last night...PT today...
 
Mmmmm @Blendab1 and @Spencieca sleep!!!!! Not so good tonight girls. Tossing and turning (grumble grumble) its 1.45 am here.
Yep the view is great. I'll post another pic when the sun is back....we have rain for the next few days.
OK here goes another attempt at zzzzzzzs. Maggie x
 
Love the view and that you are able to walk there anytime you like!! My neighborhood is really pretty but you got me beat :) Sorry to hear you are awake though - that stinks. Sounds like you are in a chicken and the egg sort of loop - if you had the stamina to do all you want too then you'd sleep fine...but you can't get the stamina if you can't sleep! Hoping you catch the sand man soon and get some zzzz's
 
@Spencieca - they did put me on perc after the MUA but I put myself on vicodin (norco) less than 24 hours later and was fine. I think if you just tell them that you'd rather have the lower med they would be fine with it. Good luck!
 
@TexasTee I agree big time about the link between stamina and sleep.
For tonight (3.45 here) I just realised that i forgot to take the leg cramp pill derrrrr...just took one now so hopefully ill get 3 hours solid☺

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Hi Maggie,
Beautiful photo! Well, i must be the oddball since I've had no problem sleeping since day 1.
There is an herb called valerian root which is helpful for sleep.
Also, I'm 10+ weeks out and still take percocet as needed. Usually just one 5/325 a day.
Lucky again, that I have no bad side effects from it..
Well, I see by my world clock that it's 4am there and you are awake.
Hope the sandman comes soon!
Karen
 
Maggie, hope you are sleeping peacefully for a few hours :sleep:....tomorrow (or today) is a new day...I was getting soo frustrated with non sleeping that I was dreaming that I was awake when I was actually asleep..WHO DOES THAT! It is just the part of our brain that is still trying to adjust to these new fangled things we call knees :) I tried an Ambien the other night and it worked pretty good..maybe you can ask your GP or OS about it if you feel like there is no sleep in sight..we need a good amount of sleep to help our bodies heal..I find that if I do TOO much during the day that I have a harder time sleeping...
 
@kaw205 Good morning Karen (6.20am here) Thanks for your post. I got a couple more hours once I took a magnesium pill for leg cramps. Don't know how I forgot to take one earlier....lesson learned. You are so lucky to be able to sleep....I'm envious.....in the nicest possible way:friends:
By my reckoning your work in day should be over.....have a lovely Easter (we have Good Friday and Easter Monday as public holidays. Do you in the US?) Cheers Maggie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom