Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. I was half asleep when I did that reply...more awake now
 
Oh hope I didn't wake you mind you message from a numpty im scotland enough to scare anyone

Legin THR Sep 14
 
@SeptemberZen , I am in the same boat - had BTKR on 1/2/15 - my 12 weeks all up- April 6th, I am planning on returning , I am seeing my Dr tomorrow as my right leg is no where near the left knee in recovery - WOW - the left knee is amazing, I can see that if BOTH knee's finally get to that point with the left feeling this way at 1o weeks - this BTKR will be worth the up's/down's this had been . I might see, if the Dr will "prescribe" me - another month of disability and hopefully my job will go with it - Disability pay is a joke, luckily my wife does well, and we are smart with our funds, but - I do not know how the person who had to take disability, and was not prepared - unbelievable, + I had to pay my medical insurance monthly fee' s that my are usually just deducted from my paycheck bi-weekly , that + the lousy disabilty leaves very little to live on - we are starting to feel it now, I want to get back to work, but I also do not want to be in pain for 8 hours, and taking pain med's, and driving...

@Maggie94 , much love, and respect....been a tough road, these past 10 weeks...
 
@noc Thanks for the update. It's amazing that there is such a difference between knees. I am currently experiencing pain in Shirley my right knee, while Laverne, the initial problem child is quietly getting on with healing.
Yes Chris you have walked a difficult path with your recovery.....compounded now you're telling me by some money worries. My advice....get the disability signed off by the Dr, head up, shoulders back stand tall and work on your recovery for another month and lastly but most definitely not least, give you amazing wife a huge hug for all she has and is doing to support you (I'm sure this last bit is unnecessary cause I know how much you love your family...but hey a hug never goes astray).
Remember $ are just a means to an end....if you are managing, albeit tightly, hang in there for another month of recovery. Warmest to you Chris, Maggie x
 
I agree with Maggie. Two weeks might be much better, @SeptemberZen. I noticed with the first knee that it's big jumps forward--one day I'd wake up and be a LOT stronger. If you have the flexibility to leave early,you should be okay.
 
@SeptemberZen , I am in the same boat - had BTKR on 1/2/15 - my 12 weeks all up- April 6th, I am planning on returning , I am seeing my Dr tomorrow as my right leg is no where near the left knee in recovery - WOW - the left knee is amazing, I can see that if BOTH knee's finally get to that point with the left feeling this way at 1o weeks - this BTKR will be worth the up's/down's this had been . I might see, if the Dr will "prescribe" me - another month of disability and hopefully my job will go with it - Disability pay is a joke, luckily my wife does well, and we are smart with our funds, but - I do not know how the person who had to take disability, and was not prepared - unbelievable, + I had to pay my medical insurance monthly fee' s that my are usually just deducted from my paycheck bi-weekly , that + the lousy disabilty leaves very little to live on - we are starting to feel it now, I want to get back to work, but I also do not want to be in pain for 8 hours, and taking pain med's, and driving...

@Maggie94 , much love, and respect....been a tough road, these past 10 weeks...
Yeah, I'm just about out of sick time, so I have to go back. Short term disability is a sad joke so I'm not even going for it. If Boyfriend and I hadn't decided to move in together last year, I'd have really been in trouble! A little worried about my commute; I don't drive and it's about 90 minutes of public transportation for me. Sigh.
Sorry about highjacking your thread, Maggie! Just didn't want to leave the message unresponded. :-)
 
No problem SZ....we re all here for each other...its the message and support that's important.
WOW 90 mins on public transport.....take my hat off to you. Remember to take your cane so some considerate soul will give you a seat.
Just coming up 3am here....cup of tea nearly finished...ho him the elusive full night's sleep....it will come Cheers Maggie x
 
Never go anywhere without my cane -- I can't really. I can get around the apartment without it but wouldn't dare go out without it. The knee sleeve helps a lot with my mobility but still can't travel cane-free due to stiffness.
Boyfriend and I are talking about moving to an apartment in a town closer to the city. He's retired and likes where we live now but realizes how tough the commute is, especially now that I'll be doing it in recovery.
 
@SeptemberZen ,
I had my LTKR on 1/20 and returned to work last week, 3/16. By Friday I was exhausted and I spent the weekend resting. Like Maggie said, take some ice packs and meds to work with you!
 
Hi @kaw205 How is week 2back at work going? Did you recover from week 1 over the weekend? Maggie x
 
@kaw205 - I had originally planned to go back this week but changed my mind. Kudos to you! I guess I could have managed it if I'd had no choice but I'm grateful for the extra two weeks.

Biggest worries:
- Insomnia (will I get up on time?)
- Stamina ( will I have the energy for the commute)
- Pain ( Leg aches if you do too much but leg also aches if keep it immobile for too long)
Guess I'll have to cross the bridge when I get there, right? :-)
 
Hi Maggie,
I did spend the weekend resting! Since returning to work, I've developed pain and swelling on the inside of the knee. I think I've figured out that it's the way I push my chair around in my cubicle.
Out of habit, I use the operated leg to do that. Today, I tried to remember not to do that, but old habits die hard....
Icing and elevating in the recliner now. I'm gong to baby the knee until it's happy again!
 
Hi Maggie, just wanted to let you know that I got my compression hose today and it's so much more comfortable then the wrap. It did reduce the swelling so as soon as I am done with my shower I will be putting it back on and keeping it there till PT gets here tomorrow.

Hope you are snoozing and will get a great nights sleep.

For the others, I agree that disability pay sucks! This is the main reason I am returning to work at 6 weeks. I will start with 4 hours a day the first week, then 6 and by the 9th week I will be full time. My Dr. Agreed with this and will support me, so I feel better about work. Now I will enjoy these next four weeks and work on becoming stronger.

Good night all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good news for me as I am retiring on April 30 for the 4th and final time...54 years of work I think I have put in a good innings......I will have to stay away from the donut shop . Good night all.

Vinny
 
Maggie--I saw on another thread that you are having some IT Band issues?

Here are some stretches for you---and IT Band issues can be real boogers to get rid of---they can be very stubborn.
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins
I would also suggest that you utilize ice massage after you stretch---take a Dixie cup and fill it full of water and then freeze it. Put the ice directly onto the sore area, and, as the ice melts, tear the Dixie cup away.
[Bonesmart.org] Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins
 
I've used those for IT issues before the op - definitely helpful. I also like to use a foam roller - it's one of those hurt so good moments!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom