Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @DebStew At 6 weeks I am not pain free, but things are manageable and improving each day. Still take some meds when needed (especially for my cranky right knee). And I have my occasional backslide days and yes OIDC days, but even at this early stage I can say I am very happy I had them done.
There are times when you have to slow down and smell the roses, be patient and listen to your body and knees, no pushing through pain barriers, easy does it. I still spend hours elevating and icing, so very important.
Travelling to Europe and then cruising in August, and I am soooo looking forward to walking and sight seeing pain free.
Always keep your positive outlook right by your side, it is always your best friend.
Diane
 
@DebStew @Sudibar Correction on my mis-communication... I was pain free sitting in bed watching catch-up TV on the computer cause I had just taken all my pain meds... I am not pain free yet unless it is drug induced. Haing said that, yes te level of overall pain had reduced quite a bit - I have reduced the pain meds with another reduction last night on the over night dose. I take Targin 20mg in the morning and 30 at night (first night at this dose last night)... I also took 10mg endone last night cause of hurties then all was fine.

Debbie listen to what Diane is saying - it is the right approach - little and often, do not push into pain and rest and ice:yes!::yes!:

Diane overseas in August - :wowspring:your knees should be well and truly up to the trip by then. I am going to the US in October, Laverne and Shirley will be fine by then for the long haul.

Going to go for a walk now - only short because I have 3 hours rehad starting at 11. Take care you two - cheers, Maggie x
 
Hi Golfing guys - my handicap was rocking between 20 & 21 when I gave up golf cause of knees about 3 years ago. I'd been playing for 6 years after being away from the game for 20 something years because of herniated disc at L5/S1 - could not bend over to unpack the dishwasher or pick up dog poo... 3 years of Feldenkris fixed this and I was able to go back to chasing the little white ball and doing these other 2 tasks - LOL. I'd be happy to get back to low 20s but who knows - the Slope System has been introduced in Australia and I have yet to read about it and understand what it means (I pretty much fully disengaged from golf when I couldn't play) - yep sour puss!!!

Laverne and Shirley had a very full day of rehab yesterday - ROM was re measured - Laverne sitting comfortably on her 115 but Shirley shot ahead to 120... she obviously did not like giving up the lime light:yahoo:

Today I am a mega sleepy head.... probably 8-9 good hours last night in 3 hr bytes - woke up at 8.30.... staggered out to the lounge and have spent most of the morning dozing on the lounge. QUESTION have others had days like this? I am going with it on the basis that my body is saying it wants sleep...and more sleep - I have no intention of doing any exercise at this point; may later if I feel so inclined. Will probably be wide awake at midnight watching a movie:wink:

Hope all in BS land are healing and happy - cheers Maggie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Maggie94 Yes Maggie I still have days like this, when I feel I have hit a wall, and bone weary (forgive the pun!) I tend to put legs up and ice more, cut right back on doing anything much. I try reading a book, hmmmm many reread pages anyway. Watched "The Hundred Foot Journey" on tablet last night. Nice easy watch and feel good movie. You'll soon be back in the swing of things and physio will catch up. Glad your listening to your body. Enjoy your relax time today.
Diane:alarm:
 
Maggie the slope index rates the difficulty of the course you are playing. Your index is your average handicap score in relation to par and the slope of the course you are playing. Say you have handicap index of 20 on your home course the slope may so you get 21 shots. Tomorrow you go to play Royal Melbourne which has a high slope rating you may get 24 shots there. For some reason I make everything sound like a 7 act play. @Sudibar Diane has it nailed on the day you feel like a mega sleepy head go with it. Your ROM is fantastic just about where I am at 14 weeks but I would guess my tissues etc have healed more allowing me to do more and that will happen for you. Take a couple of lazy days and chill. Your body has earned it

Vinny
 
Thanks for the advice ppl... a couple of lazy days and sooooo much sleep - naps really as I don't do more than 2-3 hours sleep at a time.

Have cut back on meds which I am very happy about - In the past week I have reduced Targin (oxycodone - long acting) to 10mg in the morning (7am) and 30 at night (7pm) - down from 20 & 40.... but I am finding that I still take supplementary Endone (oxycodone short acting) 10 mg at 10.30 - 11pm - this get me thru the night. This nightly kicker is the next to go... down to 5mg then out:yes!:

Endone makes you drowsy so on that note I'm heading back to the land of nod....cheers Maggie x
 
Sleep as much as you can - nothing better you can do with your time than let your body heal. Sounds like we're both making progress on reducing meds - I'm so ready to be off narcs! Soon :)
 
thank you Teresa. In bed now (6am) with cup of tea after a reasonable nights rest. Still sleeping in 2-3 hour bytes... I think that this may improve once I can sleep on my side again. Can do about half an hour on each side, with pillows, before knees hurt. Just do a little bit of this each day - slowly slowly...:flwrysmile:

Its a rehab day - so looking forward to the hydro pool:SUNsmile::SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
todays excitement - great hydro therapy session then home for lunch and some reclinercycling.... thinking, thinking... can I, should I.... got the car keys and WOW how easy was it to drive (4 weeks & 5 days post). I have a stick shift (manual) car so both legs needed to drive. Only went a couple of kilometers but absolutely no problems with the Girls... another step on the way to full independence:yes!:.

Love my friends - one came by tonight with dinner prepared... we sat and had a delightful meal and I even had a glass of wine which I enjoyed... more normal - life is good:loveshwr:
 
Way to go Maggie another step on your awesome recovery journey....could chipping and putting be in your future? if you think you can or you think you can't..you are right...

Vinny
 
Fantastic!!!! Isn't it wonderful to know you can drive when you need to? I am more than happy to let my husband do most of it but knowing I can is very good. Interesting going into day 3 of only taking one 5mg perc every 8 hours - it's working but now when I take it I really notice just how "drugged" I'm feeling. Don't like it at all - going to see if doc will do a script with vicodin then I think I can just do tylenol. Maybe I could just try tylenol? The UK folks seem to mostly just get that from the hospital onwards. Hmmm. Something to consider.
 
@TexasTee Teresa I was prescribed Paracetamol at discharge..it is Tylenol ...it is not a prescription here but it is not on the shelves and have to ask the Chemist...are you in pain ?

Vinny
 
Maggie you are doing phenomenal!!! You and the others have inspired me so much that I wish I was going in this week (well, only so I could get away from work as I can't concentrate too much, lol) Keep up the great work and I hope you are having a great nights sleep. Super impressed that you could drive with a stick shift just a little over 4 weeks out!
 
Awesome @Maggie94 Such a good feeling of getting independence and some control back in our lives. I am driving to hydro again this morning, but as it is a 40 minute drive, hubby will drive back. Good news is we are going to have some lunch on way home.
Do hope you enjoyed your glass of wine, I haven't ventured there yet, but I am sure those days are numbered. :cheers:
Hope you had a great sleep. A new day of healing coming on!
Diane
 
wait, driving a manual ? awesome Maggie - I am driving , but still my 6 speed - just the automatic for now, that is great, I am happy that you are doing so good...
 
wait, driving a manual ? awesome Maggie
Yes, well done Maggie! :yes!::yay:

I also started driving my manual again at about 5 weeks post-op. I had a left TKR, so my left leg had to be strong enough to work the clutch. For about a week before driving, I would sit in the car with the engine turned off and practice moving my feet to work the pedals. Particularly, i'd practice emergency stops. You need to simultaneously work the clutch (with left foot) and brake (with right foot) in order to do that.

While I can drive an automatic, i learned to drive on a manual and I don't find them difficult.
 
@Celle You make me laugh - were you the fly on the wall watching me? That is exactly what I did - I'd sit in the car and move the gears go (Laverne) and practice between moving between the accellerator (no pressure) and break (Shirley's domain) - :wowspring::yes!::wowspring:
 
Yes, @Maggie94 we would have looked quite a sight, doing the "pretend" driving. And yet, I feel it was worthwhile because, by the time I hit the road properly, I was confident that I would not cause an accident or kill a child (one of my particular nightmares).
 
HI noc, Sudibar, TexasTee, Blendab1, Celle, kaw205, Awriterafoo, Drachenschwan and Legin -thanks one and all for your support on my recovery trail - YEEEE HA!!!! its all going well and I can't thanks the Smarties enough for their collective wisdom support and encouragement - :friends::cheers:

I see my general Dr tomorrow morning for my first post op visit (she did give me pain med scripts last week cause she was fully booked) and I am going to drive to her office - all of about a mile (1.5km). Then it is off to rehab for more PT and hydro - that's 2 things in 1 day!!!! BIG step forward:giggle:.

Nearly 8pm here - cup of tea, and a movie on the computer in bed I think - night all - Maggie x
 
Nice one sounds like a good plan. We have a covering of white stuff today - ponders on attaching pooches to sledge and heading off to some great metropolis

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom