Bilateral TKR Maggie94 tells the story of the Stryker twins

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for your comments @Legin ... yes I realise that it is all part of the healing process... I'm not complaining about the long nap... means I can stay up like a big girl - may be till 9.30:giggle:
 
Maggie are you off of all training wheels? and isn't a 3 hour nap glorious?

Vinny
 
I only do a single hour long session at PT but every week I come home, connect the ice machine and off to an epic snooze! Sounds like you are doing awesome, congratulations!

@vinny - most people are somewhat magnesium deficient and a major stress like, I dunno, getting your knees chopped off, really exacerbate the problem. Signs of deficiency include not being able to sleep, increased anxiety, muscle cramps and spasms among others. I also drink both coffee and diet coke which further deplete magnesium so I always take it, since surgery I've upped the dose and I think that has helped me be able to sleep.
 
Maggie, sounds like you've got quite a good plan going. The PT/hydro three times a week will have you into your normal life in no time, right?

I didn't know that magnesium was such a big help with the muscle twitches, which for me are the most annoying part of the recovery. Trying it!
 
Thanks @TexasTee looks like I am not magnesium deficient. No problem sleeping,no twitching but I do drink coffee and diet coke also eat a lot of magnesium rich food. Maggie are you just using a cane now?

Vinny
 
Hi Maggie,
I think once on rehab day is enough!
I had PT today and only going to do one round of home exercises
She worked me pretty hard and got flex to 111. I'm home now icing and resting.
Hope you're feelig good today!
karen
 
PPl soooo nice to wake up to posts - thank you all:roseshwr:

@Awriterafoot Yes I am blessed with a good recovery. I am a firm believer in the power of the mind and I was determined to maintain a positive mindset even thru the "hard" times. Re the stairs... I was trowing my legs out and around like you but I slowed down and really focused on lifting each leg to the step going up - I can do this like a big girl and yes @vinny with one cane:yes!: Going down stairs is harder - I talk to myself.... stick, bad, good; stick, bad, good; and focus on how my good leg bends. I take it in turns with Laverne and Shirley to be the good girl:yes: just to keep the strength and the neuro muscular learning as equal as I can.

No rehab today so I will do my own thing - walk round the block, stairs and bike but only x2:egypdance:. Hope all in BS land have a great day, take care, Maggie x
 
Good morning Maggie...I have had the feeling you would have a Vinny recovery and you are...attitude means so much..you are 4 weeks Wednesday and will soon be ditching the cane...going down stairs was the last to come for me and it happened all of a sudden. Same will happen for you as those revolutions on the bike will give you the ROM for the stairs.....great job .....

Vinny
 
thanks @vinny I want yo to know that your story, honesty and generosity of spirit has been a great inspiration. Big hug to you - Maggie x
 
@kaw205 shucks - thanks Karen - you are pretty awesome yourself:happydance:

The "win" for today.... using that highly rigorous scientific method of measurement of the number of steps between the lines in the pavement I can report that YEY the length of my strides (dare I call them that) has increased - very happy:yes::yes: down from 3 and a bit to 2 and a bit!!!!

Being picked up this afternoon for a trip to the supermarket... don't need much just fresh fruit but hey it is an outing:yes!:
 
Chortle at pavement, when girls were younger we used to play steos on crazy paving if you stepped on line you lost a body part. I used to lose mouth first girls would howl at my mouthless grunts. But welk done you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi, Maggie! Just found this site, and luckily, came upon your thread - you sound like you're doing SO WELL!!! I can't believe you sound so upbeat AND ACCOMPLISHED just 4 weeks later - MY HERO! I wish there was a way to just read what you've written each step of the way, but your amazing supporters are so sweet and uplifting. Anyway, BRAVA -- I have BTKR on March 11th and will measuring myself against you (though I know we each have to forge our own journey)!
 
@DebStew Hi Debbie - thank you for your words and welcome to BoneSmart.

You are starting out so my message to you is to read, read and read some more - read the recovery threads of the bilaterals @Sudibar @vinny @Drachenschwanz @noc @ljrfrm @katiejarr to name a few (3.45 am here sorry if I've missed ppl) to get some idea of what you will be up for - yes we are all different and each knee is different. Also read some the the single TKR recovery threads...all good insight.

I say this because forewarned is forearmed... I read so much before Laverne and Shirley arrived that I was totally relaxed going into the operation as I knew what to expect...ditto on the other side. No, it is not easy but with management and attitude it is really not that bad. Take ALL meds offered on time (if pain persists ask for more); ice ice and ice; rest heaps (not a lot of options on this one:wink:). If your insurance covers it take time and go to a rehab hospital - remember you are investing in your recovery and your future. Once you are up and about do the "little and often" thing... when I was in rehab if I needed to get out of bed say for the loo (ensuite), then I also walked the length of the corridor and back each time... just a little but often:yes!:

My other piece of advice is to focus on the positive in each day...does not have to be big. Attitude is HUGE in recovery - adopt the "yes I can" mindset it really works.

Just re-read this... it sound like a sermon, not meant to but I just wanted to get my advice across. I will "follow" you with interest Debbie - go girl!!! Cheers Maggie x
 
ha ha - are you the ZZZZZZzzzz police Vinny? In bed with laptop and a cup of tea....and icing - all good. Cheers Maggie x
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom