Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Luisa
Well, there's never a dull moment with BTKR, dammit!

I am not the doctor, but I do think it's unlikely the problem is mechanical in nature. At the same time, like you, I'd be feeling very wary and frightened. The thing *not* to do is to keep testing that leg's strength just to see if it still hurts (i.e., if I step on it again/go up a step/run down the block, will it hurt? Yes!). Let that tear rest. I'm glad you're seeing the doctor.

Hugs!
j
 
I know I sound irrational. I can feel those moments coming on. Yes, the hospital staff spoke to my surgeon at least twice. Am I 100 percent convinced of the diagnosis, no, but I realize this stems from my fears. I'm trying very hard to relax. Doesn't help my xanax cannot be refilled until tomorrow. I was told to rest and do nothing.

I'm lucky enough to have a wonderful husband who makes sure I only need to move with his help to get to the bathroom. Heck, he even helps me move and change positions in bed. I really am feeling much less pain today, but every once in awhile my fear creeps back in. I'm trying to nap as much as possible to really rest and heal and NOT think. Thank you everyone for your much needed support.
 
Dear luisa,
You my dear are not irrational :) you just want to make sure you are all right. If you are out
Of Xanax try breathing when you feel anxiety creeping in. In through the nose out through the mouth :yes:
Or,visualize your self on a warm beach, or in the mountains, whatever you like. Lay still & close your eyes.
Please keep us posted, we care :console2:
Diana :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks Dianz, I have been really trying to relax, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I'm so upset about all of this. At best, its a significant set back, at worst, well, I don't even want to think about it. I've been icing and elevating intermittently and am just praying this is just something minor.
 
Dear luisa,
I am :angel: with you..may your doc. App.be to only rest & ice the area :)
Thinking of you my dear,
Diana :console2:
 
Saw surgeon. She explained that she performed a release on that side due to valgus. So the tear was more than likely a minor tear in that area. Swelling was not bad and that I can weight bear as tolerated and start therapy again... gently. I will wait til next week and continue icing elevating and resting. not rushing back until I feel better strength wise. Quad still pretty angry but def improved since I was able to get out of bed on my own. All in all she just feels it's a minor setback. Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.
 
Good Morning Lucia! I am glad to hear your tear is something that does not need surgery and that the issue was not the joint replacement! Take care, rest, be good to yourself. I will keep you in my healing thoughts!:puppysmooze:
 
That is good news. I'm sure if you take it gently, you will be able to progress. You just have to adjust the idea of how you do PT and it will be fine. I'm sure your pt therapist will follow the directions.
I'll be anxious to see how you do.
 
Dear luisa,
So happy to hear no more surgery :happydance: now, go slow & do what the doctors told you to do.
I hope your mind has been put at ease :SUNsmile:
Sending healing thoughts your way :yes:
Diana...June sunbeams :SUNsmile: going strong
 
Haven't taken pain meds since 4am. Swelling is mostly in thigh area and just mildly over left side of knee which is pretty much where tear is supposed to be.
Why not? Don't you remember that swelling is a manifestation of pain?
I'm so afraid I have hardware failure
Not in a million years!
She explained that she performed a release on that side due to valgus. So the tear was more than likely a minor tear in that area. All in all she just feels it's a minor setback.
Well, there y'go! These pains can be overwhelming and get our imagination running wild. So take you pain meds and relax! You'll just take a bit longer than usual to get through this.
 
Josephine I had only 1 vicodin left due to the refill law and needed to wait til today to refill. I did have back up percocet because I stopped taking that, but it was giving me headaches and nausea, so I didnt want to chance it. I substituted with just some advils to decrease inflammation. Advils dont really work on me for leg pain anymore. Took so many for my arthritis I think ive developed resistance to them. Im just so happy this turned out to be nothing serious!! I went straight home after picking up a quick breakfast to go with hubby, then we both napped (me with ice) and slept for 2 hours. What a restful, relaxed nap!!
 
Okay, I see. Perhaps you can get yourself refilled and get back on track!

And you didn't get a resistance to Advil/ibuprofen - it's just a rubbish pain med anyway! About 40% an equivalent dose of Tylenol!
 
Meds were ready for me today, so back to my regularly scheduled medications again. I didnt know that about advil Josephine! Ill fill in with tylenol if I have any breakthrough pain from my regular medication schecule. Surgeon wanted meto start therapy asap but I have decided I need a week to heal first. I had an appt monday for a new place for aquatheraly, so I wontbe returning to my old place. They never reaa,lly pushed me to the extreme, so I cantsay this istheir fault. I needto reassess where mytolerance levels were andbri g it down a notch. You know I will now be way more prudentduringtherapy as well as my regular activities, but I must say my home activitiesreally are minimal. I think this is just a fluke that was based on the release done on my overly valgused left leg.

Neck shoulders and back are so achy since spending all my time in bed. Now that I know its not too serious, ill spend some time sitting up tonight and see if I feel any better.
 
Grrrrrrr....frustrating. could barely sit long enough to finish dinner before pain got worse. Needed help getting off of lower seat. Right leg is becoming alittle ouchy from doing most of the work for 3 days. Im 7 weeks in and probably just backtracked 3 weeks. I know, i know, I should be ashamed of myself for whining, but i miss being "normal". just feeling sorry for myself alittle bit guys :(
 
[quote="I know, i know, I should be ashamed of myself for whining, but i miss being "normal". just feeling sorry for myself alittle bit guys :([/quote]

Hey, you have the right to feel that way. I think we all have moments when we just want to be "normal" again. I have been feeling that a lot lately. I just want to be back to normal, but know there is a long road ahead.
You've just hit a bump in the road. Each one of us knows that whatever is thrown at us- we will get there sooner or later.
 
Good morning luisa,
How are you feeling today ? Good I hope :) how long did your doctor say to rest ? I know you are upset
About this set-back, but with rest you will be back to where you were in your recovery :kittykiss: I
Hope your pain meds help with your other aches & pains.
Wishing you happy "June sunbeams" :SUNsmile: coming your way,
Diana :console2:
 
Luisa,
So sorry to hear about your recent setback. I know you were just beginning to see some normalness come back into your life. It is easy for me to say, but try not to be too discouraged. As far as whining goes, whine away. You have a right to say those things and this seems to have been exceptionally hard for you on the whole. I hope today has been a better day.
Geunita
 
Luisa,
Glad to hear the injury was minor and no further surgery is necessary. This new law-enforcement and medical-regulatory-agency attitude towards opioids is stupid and wrongheaded (and in fact is causing heroin use to skyrocket due to addicts being unable to obtain opioids--and we who legitimately use and need them are caught up in the same net). NSAIDs can help with pain caused by inflammation, but not vice versa; and they can do a nasty job on one's digestive system even if taken at recommended levels long enough. (Acetaminophen can harm the liver & kidneys, but not if taken within recommended limits). I guess "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" when it comes to pain control. The irony is that of all analgesics, if used temporarily as truly needed and tapered off appropriately, opioids can cause the LEAST damage in individuals who are not already addicts.

Take that well-needed "kneecation." Recovery will wait for you.
 
As far as thesurgeon is concerned, I can weight bear as tolerated and start therapy immediately. I have decided to potpone therapy for a week to give myself healing time first. Just being extra cautious. there are small improvements. I am now able to lift my leg up onto thr bed independently and am able to lift my leg a few inchesstraight up. I feel kike im back to square one on the left. Of corse my right leg is slightly angry at me for over use, but not too bad.

Ive spent a lot of time sleeping today. Partly because I really am trying to do as little as possible, but I must admit im feeling alittle depressed. I have an interview next thursday for a job I have been trying for since may but dreaming of for quite a few years. This job opening is quite rare and the benefits....well lets just say I could retire in 10 years and collect a lovely pension. I really need to make a great impression in front of that comittee and win out the few others. This setback may ruin my presentation unfortunately.

Im hoping with rest, I can get back yo a comfortable place in 8 days time.
 
Luisa, hope today brings you comfort and rest on you healing journey. I will keep you in my prayers that the job works out. Amazing things can happen in eight days! Think positive my friend ! :SUNsmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom