Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Luisa's road to recovery June 10th, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all you fellow non-sleepers. Mine is getting better at times and I do think it does have something to do with the meds. I also wonder if it could be related to our lack of activity. I know I am not doing near the things I would be doing because of this and even though I have pt or my exercises, it still doesn't compare to being up and about all day. On the other hand, I couldn't handle being up and about all day right now so I don't know what the compromise is there. Luisa, I hope your day was good yesterday. I am kind of up and down. We haven't had the excessive heat, but we have had a lot of storm systems that are moving thru and I think my knee feels the change in the weather sometimes. It has really been very mild for us here. Last week was in the 90s with one day a heat index of 102, but we have stayed in the mid to upper 80's almost all summer with the occasional 70's. It has been very strange. We are usually in excessive heat and no rain at this point in the summer. I hope the milder weather continues in August because that will help once we go back to school.
On another note, I was just thinking the other night when I was taking a restroom break and getting up that I didn't know how you folks who had both knees done managed with a lot of this. I use my other leg frequently to help the replaced knee. One nice thing for me is that my other knee is fine right now with only the occasional twinge that has started in the last year and a half because of having to depend on that leg so much. I am hoping that the surgery will take the extra strain off that knee so I won't have to worry about it for a long time if ever.
Well, have a great afternoon and evening.
 
Sleep eludes me yet again. I cant seem to fall asleep at night and sleep in bits and pieces after that....waking up exhausted. Rescheduled PT for tomorrow, just couldnt get out of bed this morning. Pain is better overall, more of nuisance pain, except for every once in awhile where I get some harsh pains, almost always at night (please keep in mind this is WITH taking pain meds). Dont get me wrong, I am far from walking normally or pain free, it just IS getting noticeably better. Or am I just getting used to living with the pain?? Who knows...I am feeling better,,,and thats all that matters to me.

gazelle7777 My husband decided to take some time of from work to help me. He stayed at work while I was n the hospital and rehab and while my son was home with me for a few days. That being said...i dont care if I wake him (lol luckily he doesnt come on this site) But he honestly doesnt mind if I wake him when I am in pain, and my general flipping around doesnt wake him if hes in a good sleep, much like your husband MissJ.
 
boydmom Yesterday I had a wonderful day of doing absolutely NOTHING! I watched a marthon of Golden Girls on TV...7 hour straight run, then again on another channel from 12am to 2am....all of this MUCH to my husbands dismay. He usually laughs along with me at my late night 2 hour shows, but that 7 hour run was much too much for him so he spent the evening in the computer room visiting me and complaining every now and then LOL (although he still laughed at the funny parts).

I definitely feel the meds are the reason for the lack of sleep. I have been trying to cut back my daytime does to 1/2 a vicodin instead of a full one, but there are times I cant.

The heat has kept me in the house alot, not that I have been in any shape to be running around. Its supposed to be cooler out there this week, lets see if that actually feels any better. Ill try going for a walk tonight down to my friends house.

boydmom I have been doing well with getting up and down off seats of most heights, and often times surprise myself, since its better than pre surgery pain wise and ability. I always used to have to hold onto something and wait until the pain would subside before taking steps. Now it seems I can get up and keep moving rather quickly. L is worse than R, so my R does more of the work, but it is getting better and better. My toilet does have a raiser frame around it, so I have handle to push off of when I need to and its about 2 inches higher maybe 3 than it was before.
 
I haven't mentioned it to you, but I love New York. I have been to Manhattan several times in the last 10 years and once when I was in college when it wasn't such a safe place to visit. My daughter and I love to come and go to plays and walk and explore. Our last trip was Dec. 2011 right before you all had that giant snowstorm that stranded so many people at the airport on Christmas Eve I think. My daughter was pregnant with their first child and this was like our last hurrah trip for awhile. I hope I can find another travel buddy. My Brittany has a two year old and has just found out she is expecting her second in Feb. or March. Needless to say she won't be going anywhere alone for awhile. I've never explored outside of Manhattan, but have thought about it. Like I said, I just love the whole atmosphere. I especially love the transportation and the ability to walk everywhere. We don't have that in the south. You need to drive everywhere you go. Well, anyway just thought I would add this little note.
 
boydmom Would be great to get together with you if you decide to make the trip! By then we would both be able to actually WALK AROUND!! Imagine that! Admittedly I do hate the subway and try to avoid it at all costs. But part of the reason is I cant walk up and down stairs etc. Maybe once Im feeling better, it wont be such a difficult thing for me!
 
P.S. I live in Astoria, which is a very quick train ride (or car ride) over the Queensboro bridge. Hence the high house and rent prices around here. Its very close to Manhattan with the feel of a suburb and certainly lower rent prices than Manhattan.
 
I hear you Luisa, sleep is fleeting. I still wake up between 3-4am and then spend the next few hours walking around and sometimes drifting into a brief sleep. I take my pain pill at 9:30pm and get about 5 hours sleep between 10pm and 3am.
I noticed today that my legs were very stiff and ached- I wondered it was connected to the wet weather.
 
I go to sleep no earlier than 2 am. I have always been a night owl though. I take my meds around 1am and wait to get alittle sleepy and jump on it. Sometimes I can get 3 hours in, other times 5, sometimes an hour. Its really hard to tell. But after my first wake up I do try to get more sleep which is usually in shorter increments, and I feel more stiff and achy. I try to avoid taking more pain pills at that point, unless its pain I feel, not achiness. Again, I dont do well with too many pain meds (they give ne bad headaches), so my goal is to take as little as possible. I am looking forward to the day I can take just over the counter meds like advil or alleve to help the pain. I think I am getting closer though.
 
Hello luisa,
I finally found you. How have you been ? I wake up every night at 2:30 :doh: mostly from cramps &
Soreness. I have just started o.p therapy....they are gentle....I'm sure it will get harder :yikes:
My problem now is stiffness, I feel good when I do my exercises, but right after I stiffen right up :headbang:
It's like I have to start all over to loosen up, then I just get tight again.
How do you like this cool weather ? So much better than heat :happydance:
Thinking of you always,
Diana :friends:
 
Hi Diana! I do get tight acouple of hours later, but lately they have ended my session withice on the top of my knees with the tens unit and warm compress on the back of my legs running vertically. I find it helps me retain the extension I work so hard to get. They have also been using ultrasound on my one tighter quad ( r side) oddly my L leg has trouble with full extension at -5 and my r leg has less flexion at 105.

I am soooooo , loving this cooler day. My windows are open and ceiling fans on and its chilly inhere and I love love love it!

Ive had some family thing on my mind so not posting as much. Not at liberty to say but could use a prayer or 2 from members that the situation with one of my children resolves.
 
Hey, sorry to hear about your family issue. I am sure that hasn't helped with sleep either. I will say a prayer for you and I hope it is resolved quickly and in a positive way. We just think our children are going to grow up and we won't have to worry about them any more. I think at times the worry is harder because I usually have no control over the situation like I did when they were younger. Also, their problems have usually become much larger with greater and longer lasting consequences.
I am enjoying a gorgeous day here today too.
 
Day 46...almost 7 weeks post op-I went to PT today and my usualy therapist was there (she had been out for a week for medical reasons). Boy was she BACK. Tried to push me pretty hard for flexion on both legs, and today I wasnt budging. I really feel she tries to do it too fast. I preferred her replacement. I let her know to stop by my very loud OW ad she did. Doesnt matter because I am going for an eval at a new place on Monday where they have hydrotherapy. Looking forward to getting this started.

I also went to the pain management Dr today, After waiting 2 hours (ugh, you never know how long they will keep you waiting at that place), I managed to get another vicodin rx for 4x a day not 3x a day, without much fuss. The last rx was for 3x a day and I was running out. Although I dont understand why, the pharmacy would not fill it until Tuesday of next week. Makes no sense really, since Monday doesnt make a full month since the last one was filled. If the Dr gives you more, why wouldnt the pharmacy just give you more. Luckily I DO have enough to last me until Tuesday. If I didnt, I would be making a whole LOT of noise!

I did have some trouble falling asleep last night, and oddly, the ice didnt help this time. If anything, after I took the ice off it actually hurt more :scratch: I finally fell asleep about 4 am then had to be up at 10:30am to go to therapy. I did sleep for the full 5 1/2 hours, so I suppose that should make me happy!

On an extremely great note, the position I have been waiting to hear about called me. I am now officially on the short list and must go through a committee interview on August 8th (as are a few others as well). No matter, one step closer I suppose. This position doesnt start until September 3rd, but I do need to try to be ready for then. I did some contract work for them before, and both the director and one of the professors know I had this surgery, so if I need to start off somewhat slower, I think I MAY be able to work it out for a couple of weeks, but I really do prefer to start off on a better note.
 
The news about the position you are seeking is very postive. Good luck on the committee interview.

I identify with your sleeping difficulties. I'll have one good day and then a few bad days- with that loop continually replaying. I try so many ways to make it work, and sometimes it does- and sometimes it doesn't. It seems to be hit and miss.
My PT seems to be more aggressive suddenly. I have had more swelling and stiffness this week than any other week. I am at 95 flex on both knees and 3 and 5 on the extension. I am disappointed, but know it will come when it comes.
 
Achhhhh...Honestly, I feel like all I do is complain, but here goes. My BACK is KILLING me tonight. Only took 1/2 a vicodin at 5 since I have a limited number left to my next refill. I cant wait til my next dose. I hope it helps my back because ice has not helped at all. I know its probably because I spend so much time in bed on my back, but I need to elevate and ice. Its a destructive cycle. All I know is I am totally frustrated with yet another pain I have to deal with. I feel like it never ever ends.....
 
Hi Luisa - I was wondering if you have tried chair yoga for sleep? I put in a link to a chair yoga routine, it is for severe Arthritis/elderly but as it only works on the upper body it also works for serious knee pain! I did it after a hip replacment and continued because I am due for bilateral knee replacments this Monday and have been bed ridden, sore and achy for months!
Limited mobility and only one option for sleep position sure take their toll. Anyhow, take a gander, it helped me feel less like a drug addled zombie. The 1st several minutes is meditation and breathing, which i personally skip to get straight to the stretches!
Lack of movement means cranky muscles and less synovial fluid in all our joints.
Let me know if it helps
Cheerio
Jesse
 
P.S. I live in Astoria, which is a very quick train ride (or car ride) over the Queensboro bridge. Hence the high house and rent prices around here. Its very close to Manhattan with the feel of a suburb and certainly lower rent prices than Manhattan.
Astoria is SO cool--you can shop and eat your way around the world in the space of a few blocks!
 
Good morning luisa,
So happy about your up-coming job interview :) sorry about your back pain, maybe a heating pad & not ice
Would help more :SUNsmile: Jessie's chair exercises seem like a good idea also. I know it always seems like something :headbang:
But hang in there.
Sending my best wishes for a relaxing weekend,
Diana :console2:
 
Dulcimer Diva Astoria is definitely the "cool" place to be, other then Manhattan. The restaurant are all over, and all different kinds. Whatever you are in the mood for, its here. Astoria still has a high Greek and Italian population, so you will find alot of those around. I live on the quieter side of the highway (closer to the airport), so its much less congested and better parking! Long Island City, which is right next to us and even closer to Manhattan has been built up quite a bit too, and is definitely the new yuppie place. Funny, when I was a kid (or at least it seemed like I was a kid), my friends and I would go there to visit some "boys" and it was the bad part of town. Now they have high rise condos that go for 200,000 (or 2,00 a month lease) for a studio that overlooks the water and Manhattan. Years ago (not too many, maybe 10) hubby and I went down there to see the 4th of July fireworks. It was all factory area and not someplace you would go without an escort. Just 2 years later, we went down there and walked along the new pier and waited for a few hours for the fireworks. WOW...I felt like I was in a sardine can, people pushing and shoving, no room to enjoy watching the fireworks. Now we just watch from the TV. Theyve moved the firework to the other side now (between manhattan and NJ), and I absolutely refuse to ride the train to see the fireworks and get trampled along the way. Can you see a consistent theme here....I dont like crowds. Retirement to a quieter more secluded place is in my future!

My back is better this morning, thanks Diana! Although I woke with a small headache, I went out with a friend for coffee and a bagel and ordered some espresso to come home with to make sure this headache doesnt become an all day thing. Jesse for the Fight, I will watch the video and let you know how it goes. I sure could do for some meditation as I feel my stress level rising. I have a friend who is very much into the natural healing arts and she also recommended a site for me to visit.

Related to ROM....I am wondering how "on the money" my therapist is with m y measurements. I feel part of the reason my ROM was lower last time (flexion) is due to my positioning. I remember at Rusk, who I know was diong things by the book, measured my flexion while I was lying on my back, bending my knee and bring it closer myself, then hed help nudge it alittle til I was feeling the pull but could tolerate it, then he would measure. This PT was measuring me while I was on my stomach bringing my leg back. She only got it to 100 flexion. I wonder what the "official" way to measure is??? (if there is one) In any case, I am going to a new place on Monday and I am sure she will take some measurements, so I am curious to find out.
 
Only took ½ a vicodin
Honestly, I cannot impress this loud or often enough. Half a tablet is useless. There is an optimum dose for pain relief and that is one tablet as prescribed. You'd be much better off taking 1,000mg Tylenol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom